Frying pans - non stick vs cast iron

Soldato
Hi guys,

My "25 year warranty" Pro-Cook non-stick frying pan has given up the ghost and, surprise surprise, ProCook are flaking on their warranty. There I need a new one. It will be the work horse of the kitchen and would be great to have a lid, but not essential.

Cast iron seems to be the best thing since sliced bread but I often don't have the time/am too lazy to immediately care for it after eating. Are they really that difficult to look after?

Otherwise I'll be looking for a decent non-stick again.

Soldato
OP
Care?
You mean wash it up?
Long as you don't leave it sat for days on end, it should be fine.

What I tend to do is:
1. Cook at around 9pm
2. Eat
3. Throw easy stuff into dishwasher, leave the other bits and hand wash them while cooking breakfast the next day.

We have a cast irons griddle and you have to try and wash it when it is still warm (but not burning hot) or the carbon is impossible to get off with warm water alone.

Soldato
My non stick pan started to die so I made the switch to stainless steel. I got £35 pan from Nisbets 3 years ago which gets used most nights and it still looks brand new. I don't have any problems with things sticking if I heat the pan up first, then put the oil in and let it get up to temperature. When I'm done, I just dump it in the dishwasher and everything comes straight off.

Associate
My non stick pan started to die so I made the switch to stainless steel. I got £35 pan from Nisbets 3 years ago which gets used most nights and it still looks brand new. I don't have any problems with things sticking if I heat the pan up first, then put the oil in and let it get up to temperature. When I'm done, I just dump it in the dishwasher and everything comes straight off.

Same no worrys about sticking just bung it in dishwasher after and comes out brand new.

Back
Top Bottom