• iPhone 11 Pro - 512Gb

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max - 64Gb

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max - 256Gb

Votes: 41 13.7%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max - 512Gb

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 109 36.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

For what it is worth, those screens are not clearly superior as the 11 Pro Max won the best display award.

I don't pay much attention to these meaningless awards, but I was thinking more the XS Max when I made the comparison anyway. The new displays are actually really good for what they are, but I feel like most of that is just down to the brightness and not the clarity. The colour science has always been good regardless though.

Either way its just wishful thinking at this point, as long as we get at least USBC and 120hz thats good enough for me, oh and of course 5G

Soldato
Whereas ram increase (which they've been increasing steadily over the past few years anyway) and a sharper display doesnt seem to difficult to achieve, especially considering the amount of people who seem to complain about the display, in particular of the 11 and the 11 pro. If you just compare those displays with what you get in a flagship android (like the oneplus 7 pro or the S10/N10+) their screens are clearly superior imo.

There not superior at all let alone clearly as the above poster pointed out, it’s s the same with cameras, after you get past a certain point mega pixels really don’t matter for 99% of use cases. Colour science, accuracy, glass are all far more important.

Literally no one worth listening to complains about the sharpness of the screen on the 11Pro, the only people that do are the spec sheet zombies. You physically can’t see the difference between the two resolutions from more than a few cm away and no one uses a phone pressed against their nose.

Soldato
I don't pay much attention to these meaningless awards, but I was thinking more the XS Max when I made the comparison anyway. The new displays are actually really good for what they are, but I feel like most of that is just down to the brightness and not the clarity. The colour science has always been good regardless though.

Either way its just wishful thinking at this point, as long as we get at least USBC and 120hz thats good enough for me, oh and of course 5G

But again, the XS Max won awards for the best screen last year
http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneXS_ShootOut_1s.htm

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

There not superior at all let alone clearly as the above poster pointed out, it’s s the same with cameras, after you get past a certain point mega pixels really don’t matter for 99% of use cases. Colour science, accuracy, glass are all far more important.

Literally no one worth listening to complains about the sharpness of the screen on the 11Pro, the only people that do are the spec sheet zombies. You physically can’t see the difference between the two resolutions from more than a few cm away and no one uses a phone pressed against their nose.

Not sure why people like you seem to hate things getting better on a phone lmao. Its like you want the phones to just basically remain the same instead of improve in a variety of areas

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

You're coparing a 2018 phone to a 2019 phone by comparing the XS Max and the S10+

Was the XS Max screen better than the S9's?

Its a early march release vs late september release... 6 months difference.

Also I can't remember if I've seen the S9's display, but if its at all similar to the S10's (which it probably is) then it probably is better.

Soldato
You're coparing a 2018 phone to a 2019 phone by comparing the XS Max and the S10+

Was the XS Max screen better than the S9's?

Yes

I've used both the XS Max and the S10+, there's no way you can convince me the XS Max display is better lmao. Most definitely inferior in my eyes
If you want accurate colours, Apple is second to none. If you want overly saturated images. then yeah, go Samsung

Literally providing you with scientific evidence and your arguing with it because you think you know better?

Soldato
Its a early march release vs late september release... 6 months difference.

Also I can't remember if I've seen the S9's display, but if its at all similar to the S10's (which it probably is) then it probably is better.

But you have picked the 6 months to suit your argument.

tbh i dunno why I've got involved. It's a little tedious. Apple are widely regarded as having the best screens and fastest processors. And everyone should want an extra GB or two of RAM in their phone. However, that shouldn't be at any cost.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Yes

If you want accurate colours, Apple is second to none. If you want overly saturated images. then yeah, go Samsung

Literally providing you with scientific evidence and your arguing with it because you think you know better?

Have you tried holding both phones in your hand and tried judging for yourself instead of just reading reviews online?

I preferred the S10's, there's a reason Samsung are known as the best phone display makers, and its pretty evident.

Unfortunately I think I may have stepped into a heavy apple fanboy thread, which is a shame. I personally own a iPhone, but im not deluded enough to claim its the best at everything all the time. There are clearly plenty apple can do to improve

Soldato
Not sure why people like you seem to hate things getting better on a phone lmao. Its like you want the phones to just basically remain the same instead of improve in a variety of areas

I never said that and the reality is far more nuanced than just more = better and you know that.

Having higher resolution screens have trade offs like battery life, less processing time available and apps take more resources.

Id rather have more battery life on a phone that can still run the latest software 5 years later than more pixels that no one can see.

Happy to discuss things like the notch or other factors like higher refresh rates (which also have their own trade offs) but once the PPI of a screen gets past a certain point which we passed years ago, adding more is pointless.

I think you got the nail on the head though which the last post. You ‘prefer’ the Samsung look, that doesn’t make it better or the other worse. Incidentally the OLED in both phones is almost identical, the main difference is the way it’s tuned in software.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I never said that and the reality is far more nuanced than just more = better and you know that.

Having higher resolution screens have trade offs like battery life, less processing time available and apps take more resources.

Id rather have more battery life on a phone that can still run the latest software 5 years later than more pixels that no one can see.

Happy to discuss things like the notch or other factors like higher refresh rates (which also have their own trade offs) but once the PPI of a screen gets past a certain point which we passed years ago, adding more is pointless.

I think you got the nail on the head though which the last post. You ‘prefer’ the Samsung look, that doesn’t make it better or the other worse. Incidentally the OLED in both phones is almost identical, the main difference is the way it’s tuned in software.

I do agree with what you're saying, but come on.. Almost everyone wants a 120hz display, but you cant tell me that making the sharpness of the display slightly improved to a more well known standard will have anywhere near the battery affect of changing the resolution from 60hz to 120hz.

The battery life was majorly improved in this years model anyway, which is great all round, and now I think because of that they can afford to put make the display better without it having an adverse affect on battery life.

Fair enough about the display preferences though, I guess thats just each to their own. Hell, this whole debate on who needs what on their phones is just a preference anyway, some people value other features as more important than others. Some people may not give a **** about 120hz display or usbc, and some may not even care about the camera. It all comes down to the user at the end of the day, though I think some things are just more universally wanted than others

Soldato
Have you tried holding both phones in your hand and tried judging for yourself instead of just reading reviews online?

I preferred the S10's, there's a reason Samsung are known as the best phone display makers, and its pretty evident.

Unfortunately I think I may have stepped into a heavy apple fanboy thread, which is a shame. I personally own a iPhone, but im not deluded enough to claim its the best at everything all the time. There are clearly plenty apple can do to improve

it has nothing to do with this being a fanboy thread and everything to do with you not really knowing what you're complaining about. Samsung are known for being a great screen makers, for sure. But Apple are the ones who get the awards for having better colour accuracy through software. You can prefer the over saturated screens on Samsung devices but that doesn't make them superior screens. It's widely acknowledge that Apple screens are much more accurate and true to life than Samsung displays (despite Samsung making the panels for both)

DisplayMate said:
Apple has continued to raise the on-screen Absolute Picture Quality and Absolute Color Accuracy of their displays by implementing Precision Factory Display Calibration, moving the overall iPhone 11 Pro Max display performance up to Record Setting Outstanding levels, and setting or matching many Display Performance Records, including Absolute Color Accuracy at a very impressive 0.9 JNCD that is Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect, and almost certainly considerably better than your existing Smartphone, 4K UHD TV, Tablet, Laptop and computer monitor.

The iPhone 11 Pro Max also has a Record Full Screen Peak Brightness of 770 nits, and 820 nits for the typical Average Picture Level of 50%, which is roughly double of most high-end Smartphones. Compared to the iPhone XS Max, the iPhone 11 Pro Max has a number of notable improvements including 17% higher Full Screen Peak Brightness and up to 15% higher Display Power Efficiency.

But I guess because you held them both up next to each other you must have the correct answer. Not the ones doing actual testing.

I agreed that USB C and 120Hz would be nice. Love the Promotion display on my iPad (as well as using 120/144Hz screens the last 7 years) but I don't think just chucking more RAM at it and increasing the resolution are things that would make the next phone desirable.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

it has nothing to do with this being a fanboy thread and everything to do with you not really knowing what you're complaining about. Samsung are known for being a great screen makers, for sure. But Apple are the ones who get the awards for having better colour accuracy through software. You can prefer the over saturated screens on Samsung devices but that doesn't make them superior screens. It's widely acknowledge that Apple screens are much more accurate and true to life than Samsung displays.

But I guess because you held them both up next to each other you must have the correct answer. Not the ones doing actual testing.

I agreed that USB C and 120Hz would be nice. Love the Promotion display on my iPad (as well as using 120/144Hz screens the last 7 years) but I don't think just chucking more RAM at it and increasing the resolution are things that would make the next phone desirable.

Im hardly complaining, im just saying those are some things that I'd like to see on their new flagship! Not sure about these awards and such, but from what I seen from tech reviewers on youtube, the vast majority of the good ones say that samsung has the best smartphone displays on the market, up until the recent One plus 7 pro which became the new best one (mainly due to 90hz i believe)

Why would I care about actual testing, when instead I had them in my hands and looked at them.. and I preferred one to the other? Thats like claiming im not allowed to like a certain car more than another one because its slower etc etc. Also from what im aware, its the samsung camera's that usually do the over saturating and not the display so much.

Im not saying that RAM and increased resolution should be the main focal points of the new phone, but it would just be nice as a smaller addition to be made. Quite frankly, im sick of apple just improving the camera mainly and nothing else, it seems like thats all they really care about.

If you were to ask me what would be the most important things to add to the next iphone, and what I would most like to see, its 5G, 120hz, USBC and a notchless display without question. If those 4 things were added, i would have absolutely no complaints. But if they were to add those 4 things, and also increase ram and slightly improve display, would the phone be better? Of course it would, and it would be an even better product.

If they were just to add more ram and make the display sharper and nothing else, the phone would be a disaster. But im simply saying they can be viewed as secondary or even tertiary additions with the others being the primary

Soldato
I'm not saying you can't like the other display more. At the end of the day that's what it comes down to. But you're putting your opinion of preferring a screen over as if it is a fact that Samsung screens are calibrated better when the majority would go against what you say.

Praz94 said:
If you were to ask me what would be the most important things to add to the next iphone, and what I would most like to see, its 5G, 120hz, USBC and a notchless display without question. If those 4 things were added, i would have absolutely no complaints.

That I can agree with. I just feel resolution at this point is just to have it as a bullet point when it wont really improve the user experience

Also chuck in use of an always on display

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I'm not saying you can't like the other display more. At the end of the day that's what it comes down to. But you're putting your opinion of preferring a screen over as if it is a fact that Samsung screens are calibrated better when the majority would go against what you say.

That I can agree with. I just feel resolution at this point is just to have it as a bullet point when it wont really improve the user experience

Also chuck in use of an always on display

Well that was just the case for S10+ vs XS max display. From what ive heard about the new 11 pro displays, I could well be wrong as I haven't actually seen them in person yet and they are said to be a big improvement over the XS display.

Resolution is not as important as the other factors for sure, but it would be a nice little addition, nothing more than that

Soldato
Also the One Pus 7 Pro screen isn’t ‘better’. Sure it’s 90hz so scrolling is very smooth but it’s colour reproduction and brightness leaves a lot to be desired compared to both Apple and Samsung. Other parts of the phone also let it down like the camera or the under screen fingerprint reader (slow and difficult to centre your finger when not looking at it).

Like it or not there isn’t such a thing as a perfect screen or phone. It’s all a compromise within the form factor. The ‘no compromises’ ROG phone has a ‘huge’ compromise, it’s a brick!

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Also the One Pus 7 Pro screen isn’t ‘better’. Sure it’s 90hz so scrolling is very smooth but it’s colour reproduction and brightness leaves a lot to be desired compared to both Apple and Samsung. Other parts of the phone also let it down like the camera or the under screen fingerprint reader (slow and difficult to centre your finger when not looking at it).

Like it or not there isn’t such a thing as a perfect screen or phone. It’s all a compromise within the form factor. The ‘no compromises’ ROG phone has a ‘huge’ compromise, it’s a brick!

The 90hz is a big enough factor to kind of consider it the "best" display to most people who use it. But then again, it comes down to preferences. Whether you prefer smoothness or if you want slightly more accurate colours.

I was just going on about the display anyway, the other parts of the phone being compared is a different debate altogether.

But you're right, there's no such thing as perfect, its al about preferences

Soldato
Not a good idea to mention 1440p in this thread with the obvious fan boys around. :D

The Note 10 screen is sharper when viewing both, that’s just the way it is. If apple went 1440p instead of doing some in the middle res it wouldn’t be a problem for some. should have done a 1080p screen and saved more battery :eek:;):p

Soldato
I've personally spend about a month with an S10 (work trial) and own an XS as my personal phone.

Both screens are fantastic. In terms of touch response, the XS is better, but the way the S10 feels more roomy without being much bigger.

Couldn't really tell a difference in quality, both resolution and colours etc. I will say, though, the S10 was IMMENSE in direct sunlight, but this is likely because I use a screen protector on my iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom