Intel CPU socket repair

Associate
Hi guys..... that's a universal 'guys' greeting - no sexism! That's equality, that is..... :p;)

Long story short, I have an old Z87 mATX board, which is in perfect condition, other than a damaged CPU socket.

While it would be nice to ditch that, and replace it with Z370 and an 8700K, with the excessive current pricing of DDR4 RAM, along with cash being tight anyway, switching to a whole new chipset is not an option at this time. :(

I have obtained a new CPU socket, but was unable to jerry-rig a reballing station, and only mangled the old socket further, without removing it.

I wondered if anyone was aware of anyone in the London area who was able to replace CPU sockets?

Cheers
SteveW
Chingford
East London

Soldato
For what it would cost for someone that knows that they are doing to do what you are after it would cost about the same as purchasing a working 2nd hand Z87 mATX board that isnt damaged...
Letting someone loose on it who thinks they know what they are doing is a recipe for disaster and having to replace the board anyway. I wouldnt attempt it on someone elses kit and I am happy working on 0201 SMD / BGA..

Soldato
Repaired my mates bent socket pins easily after watching some youtube videos, pliers, razor blade and sewing needles. Need a shed loads of patients and time.

Associate
OP
For what it would cost for someone that knows that they are doing to do what you are after it would cost about the same as purchasing a working 2nd hand Z87 mATX board that isnt damaged...

Very valid point, but hard to confirm what condition a second hand board will be in. At least I know that my board is perfect and fully functional..... other than the socket. :(

Repaired my mates bent socket pins easily after watching some youtube videos, pliers, razor blade and sewing needles. Need a shed loads of patients and time.

I did try realigning the pins, but no luck unfortunately.

Soldato
With an older board it's basically an economic write off.
I busted a z170 socket and and emailed gigabytes UK center, they said they wouldn't attempt a repair but would put a new socket on for £30, that's not including sending and return postage, but I thought was a very reasonable price. But I guess they have a special tool /machine to do it, so it's probably only a ten minute job for them.

Man of Honour
Has anyone on here taken on this job if so with what tools? I'm thinking of having a go.
Andi.

It wont be easy, You will need a hot air station, a re-ball template, solder paste, flux soldering iron etc... does the new socket come already balled? If so it might actually be pretty easy. I'd give it a **** without a doubt.

Associate
Looks like a missing/broken pin. Any ideas on how to try and fix this?

IMG-20191111-221242.jpg

Associate
Is there a need to fix it if the system is working fine? Not an overclocking mobo so if it is a pin that has to do with non-default voltage settings for example then i can see why it's not causing any problems.

Definitely not worth replacing the socket.

Back
Top Bottom