How safe would this be (Credit Card question)

Soldato
Selling my MT09 motor bike. £3800. I'm off to Disney Florida next year, was thinking off widening my chances of selling by being open to people paying £3800 off my balance inexchange for the bike?

Do you think thats too risky, if someone were to pay it, could they request a refund after paying that amount off the balance?

Associate
Why would this increase your chances of selling? If I were given the choice of paying bank transfer / cash or paying off some random persons holiday, I know which one I'd choose.

Soldato
I say go for it. Paying off a some random's guys credit card is widely known as the most desired form of payment method these days.

Soldato
As a potential buyer, that would sound well dodgy to me.

I don't understand why you'd think that's a good idea, it's the same price so once you sell the bike, transfer the funds to your credit card account?

Man of Honour
How would it widen your chances of selling your bike? Any potential buyer is paying the same amount to you either way. £3800 to you or £3800 to you. It makes no difference to the buyer.

That's a best case scenario. In a less ideal scenario, the oddity of the suggestion would put off buyers and/or it would leave you more vulnerable to fraud. I don't know if it would, but I think it might (as you do, too).

What's the point? If you want to use the money to reduce the balance on your card, just do that. They buy your bike for money, you use that money to reduce your card balance. The whole point of money is that it's a storable and transferable token of accepted value. Barter is useful in some circumstances, but this isn't one of them. At best, it's of no benefit to anyone in this scenario. I suppose it might save you a little time if you don't use online banking.

Soldato
Ha ha this is hilarious, what a wonderful world we live in that this has even been asked

Me : "I like your motorbike and am willing to pay you the £3800 you're asking for it"
You : "Cool, can you pay off my holiday for me"
Me : "er I don't think so sounds dodgy, see you later glws!"

Soldato
This is the very definition of value engineering, something that's meant to make it cheaper/easier but will go catastrophically pear shaped and bite you on the arse.

Back
Top Bottom