• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cheap upgrade or will it be a sidegrade?

Soldato
So i currently have a socket 1156 xeon x3470 which is like a i7 870 cpu. I got it clocked up to 3.5ghz with 16gb ddr3 ram 4x4gb.
I do have 2 spare motherboards with cpus. One is a h77m-g43 msi board. Has a pentium dual core in it and has 4 ram slots.
The other board is a h81m with a dual core pentium cpu but has 2 ram slots.

I don't want to drop to 8gb ram so im thinking i could make do with the socket 1155 board but what sort of cpu could i get for it on the cheap that would be fast enough to warrant the effort in changing out my old socket 1156 setup.

I have to use old version of vmware due to my cpu not supporting a feature for newer versions of vmware to work properly.

Soldato
X3470 is Lynnfield, yeah? That was based on Nehalem (X58). Sandy Bridge was a beastly lift over Nehalem, Ivy Bridge was 10% over Sandy (and a good chunk more efficient), Haswell was in turn about 10% over Ivy.

So in tech terms something 4000 series would probably net you a chunky boost over the X3470. In real terms though Haswell still commands a few quid on the 2nd hand market because it can still keep up (by virtue of Intel stagnating with incremental updates; Skylake and Kaybe Lake aren't much more over Haswell, Coffee Lake is just more cores).

I can see the 4770 (non K) on eBay for about £120. Not sure if that qualifies as "cheap" within the scope of your question.

Soldato
You could easily grab a 4770k/4790k setup on the MM to replace the lot for less than £200 :)
You could grab a Ryzen setup with something like a 1600 or 2600 for the same sort of money though, which would be a far better option. I don't really see the point in throwing more money at old platforms that are limited to quad cores. Even buying a CPU for one when the OP only has non-overclocking boards.

Bite the bullet, sell the lot and put it all towards a DDR4-based platform. You can pick up 16GB of 3200MHz DDR4 for ~£65-70 right now and get half that back selling your DDR3.

Associate
Get yourself a Xeon e3-1240 v2 off t'bay for £50, stick it in the H77 and call it a day, ipc uplift and 8 threads. Then plan a full upgrade when you're ready or xeon is struggling.

Associate
You could grab a Ryzen setup with something like a 1600 or 2600 for the same sort of money though, which would be a far better option. I don't really see the point in throwing more money at old platforms that are limited to quad cores. Even buying a CPU for one when the OP only has non-overclocking boards.

Bite the bullet, sell the lot and put it all towards a DDR4-based platform. You can pick up 16GB of 3200MHz DDR4 for ~£65-70 right now and get half that back selling your DDR3.
Sensible advice here.

Associate
how much faster would the e3-1240 v2 be over my x3470 which is clocked to 3.5ghz? was there a big step up in ipc from nehlem to sandybridge?

It's ivy bridge, the jump is considerable depending on the task, though obviously with your overclock the gap is smaller but you get newer features such as avx. In this article the xeon e3 would be somewhere between the i7 2700k and the i7 4790k:

https://www.techspot.com/article/1039-ten-years-intel-cpu-compared/page2.html

Though, as the other guys have said if you've got the budget you'd be better off selling the lot and going Ryzen.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
hmm, i wanted features such as usb3 and sata3 but i guess i could just hold out and go ryzen. my case limits me to micro atx boards, i dont think there are any in that size for ryzen.

Don
hmm, i wanted features such as usb3 and sata3 but i guess i could just hold out and go ryzen. my case limits me to micro atx boards, i dont think there are any in that size for ryzen.

Limited choices with "current" X570 chipset boards, but plenty of older boards around:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £456.65 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Don
Back
Top Bottom