best monitor for eyes

Associate
hello People,

Looking for some screen which would be good for my eyes when spend much time in front of it.
I red few things and based on it I get to the conclusion that I should look for IPS monitor with high refresh rate, flicker free and low blue light feature. Not sure if this is completely right.

I am not gaming but decide to get asus vg27aq as this has all of the above. My main thing by the computer is: reading staff and watching movies or sports.

so my question: is there anything better then what I already get?
I have 14 days return policy so I should be ok with it. The only way I can spent some longer time by this screen is on low blue light mode 4, which disables a lot adjustments. I am running it 2560x1440 144hz.
brightness and contrast on my GPU is set on 50%, and contrast on 80 on the monitor setting.
with all of this screen is a bit darkish but not to bad for my liking. I kind of hoping for something better.
So, is there anything better? I need at least 27inch 2k monitor for around £500 (can go a bit over it with something really special), I do not mind bigger screen with 21:9 ratio but it would be probably over my budget :).

Associate
Monitors are always bad for your eye sight, especially prolonged sessions.

Better refresh rate is better, but don't fool yourself...

If you have eye vision disparity between eyeballs (dioptry), then the best thing is getting special glasses (talk to an optician) or installing software such as f.lux, etc, to help mitigate some of the default color vibration.

Example, for me:
- dioptry difference: left eye 0.5 (I can see just fine), right eye 1.5 - 1.7 (I have trouble seeing things at a distance, basically all I see are contours, I can't read text);
- BenQ EL2870U monitor: specs says it has an eye-care feature, which I don't mind, if it actually works...

Two issue with every monitor, in my opinion:

a) Motion sickness
If it happens to me, it's either prolonged sessions in front of a game with color pallet of stringent red (crimson to be more exact).
I get a headache after 4 hrs of gameplay, even on a 120hz display, because of the combination of colors in a few games I frequently play.

b) High contrast and/or default brightness
If you buy a monitor, don't leave the color settings at default, play with it. Even if the specs mention color fidelity and color warmth, or specific settings (vivid, etc), mess with it.
If I expose my eyes to the same colors for 5 hours, I'm getting a migraine and I have to stop what I'm doing.

My solution was getting a pair of glasses, specifically varifocal lenses (not cheap) and using the f.lux software to dim some of the colors down depending on time of day, etc.

I still get eye strain sometimes, but it's less of an issue, and no headaches...

For monitors, I'm trying to switch to a 24-25" 144hz IPS panel (upcoming stuff in November) to reduce eye tracking that leads to eye strain.

Associate
OP
thank you for all your answers.
Tried all the suggestion and it is still no good enough, so I decided to return this asus back to retailer. will wait for the refund and back to start point.
I red a bit about it elsewhere an people are saying that switching to va panel helped them a lot. But nobody can explain why would it be better, so not sure what I will do, yet.
still looking

Soldato
For text size you can't beat a 27" at 1080p..... I love my 49" 1080p ultrawide screen, that is the same size as my old 27" screen hightwise.

Back
Top Bottom