GAMING THIS GENERATION ........POOR

Man of Honour
What you mean? Sonic the headgehog cost £30 for the sega master system when it first was released!!

Which is £65 in today's money.

Games have dropped in price considerably, especially when you consider that sonic mania costs £16. That would have been just £7.50 in 1991 when sonic was initially released!

We've never had it so cheap, and people have never complained so much as we do now.

Caporegime
You're playing the wrong games. I'm 33 and there are some stunning games this generation, they're just not (largely) the big AAA ones. Detroit: Become Human, The Last of Us, Zelda BOTW, Persona 5, Life is Strange, Hyper Light Drifter, Into the Breach, the Divinity series of games, Nier, Hollow Knight.Those are just the ones of the top of my head. With the exception of Zelda and Persona (the latter of which I wouldn't call a huge well known series), they're all new IPs and genuinely inventive games.

This generation was far better than the last one, and I'd argue the one before that for imaginative games. You just need to look beyond the well known / hyped ones.

You make a great point but BoTW and TLoU are absolutely massive AAA title lol

Associate
OP
Get a PS4 and a Switch. You've missed out on 99% of why it's so great right now.

i did buy a switch and sold it 2 months later , could not get on with it in portable mode as screen to small and id played the games i wanted to pay on it docked and didnt see much coming out in the future i wanted to so didnt want it to be a massive paper weight.

must be an age thing then :( 10-15 years ago i was showing these kids how to play cod and fifa but now im just cannon fodder and tend to look for more single player offline games lmao

Soldato
I'm much more frugal. AD:O and Odyssey were well worth the coin! Currently in BOTW and have W3 to come on Switch Lite. I think I somewhat agree that new IP is few and far between but I have so much to catch up on!

I'm the same now as well, I can quite easily skip a lot of games now unless its a new game from rockstar like GTA or RDR or something thats been in the works for years like the upcoming CP 2077.
I do agree with the OP about all the micro-transactions in games now days and silly skins for everything, even when you don't need to pay for them I don't understand the obsession for it, BFV is a prime example, instead of making a decent game they put more effort into skins for this and that.
I think that's why a lot of games are broken at launch, because game developers focus on the silly stuff and forget about the core game mechanics.

Associate
For me at close to 40, age does make a difference. So many games require a massive investment of time which I no longer have to give. Also, probably because I can afford a little more nowadays, I tend to give up on games more easily and go on to trying something else, rather than really learning and focusing on one title for a while. This is counter-productive to me, as the deep focus is what really leads to enjoyment of a game. Whilst micro transactions of course annoy me, I find that crafting annoys me more. I really hate how so many games include crafting nowadays!

fez

fez

Caporegime
You have said that you play fifa and cod and yet you are whinging that this gen is ****. You sound like one of those people who have strong opinions about issues they have put literally 0 effort or thought into and then when anyone explains why you might be wrong your response is “it’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it”.

When you claim this generation has been poor and then haven’t owned a PS4 or Switch and your bread and butter is FIFA and CoD, no you are not entitled to a completely wrong opinion.

Associate
OP
You have said that you play fifa and cod and yet you are whinging that this gen is ****. You sound like one of those people who have strong opinions about issues they have put literally 0 effort or thought into and then when anyone explains why you might be wrong your response is “it’s my opinion and I’m entitled to it”.

When you claim this generation has been poor and then haven’t owned a PS4 or Switch and your bread and butter is FIFA and CoD, no you are not entitled to a completely wrong opinion.

And you must be one of these people who dont actually read threads before replying.

Ive already stated i enjoyed cod and fifa due to the quick pick up and play aspect but cod has not been the same since advance warfare.

I also said ive owned a switch and have over 300 games for xbox.

Also ive owned and played
Commodore 16/64
Nes/snes/cube
Master system /mega drive
Sega saturn
Ps 1,2 and 3
Xbox ,xone and one x

So i think i have enough experience to make comments

fez

fez

Caporegime
And you must be one of these people who dont actually read threads before replying.

Ive already stated i enjoyed cod and fifa due to the quick pick up and play aspect but cod has not been the same since advance warfare.

I also said ive owned a switch and have over 300 games for xbox.

Also ive owned and played
Commodore 16/64
Nes/snes/cube
Master system /mega drive
Sega saturn
Ps 1,2 and 3
Xbox ,xone and one x

So i think i have enough experience to make comments

Yeah all those consoles have had some great releases this generation....

A lot of the best games this generation have come from the Switch and PS4. You haven’t owned a PS4 and you haven’t got stuck into many switch games. Your opinion is coming from a position of very little experience in the thing you are actually complaining about. Unsurprisingly playing loads of old consoles doesn’t validate your opinion that this generation has been poor.

Associate
I've been playing video games for almost 40 years and have to disagree with the OP's stance that this generation of gaming has been poor. As others have said there have been some great titles on PS4, Switch etc. The OP's mistake is paying too much attention to the supposed "AAA" companies like EA, who fleece customers with microtransactions, loot boxes, and other dodgy practices, whilst making no effort to actually innovate or improve their games. Look at "AA" companies and Indy developers for the real gems … there are loads of great games out there.

Soldato
As others have said, by not owning a PS4 you've missed out on some of the best games of this generation. Microsoft has done some things right this gen but one area where they really dropped the ball is in console exclusives. I do agree that a lot of the multi-platform games this gen have been pretty uninspired. The likes of EA, Activision and Ubi have their trusted franchises and they're mostly sticking to them, and to be honest it is getting a bit stale.

Soldato
Yeah. RDR2, Bloodborne, TLOU, Witcher 3, Sekiro, Nier, Yakuza, God of War, U4, Hitman 2, AC Origins, Bloodstained, RE2, DMC5, Prey, Gravity Rush, H:ZD, Zelda BotW, GTA V and many others. Off the top of my head, all practically AAA releases.

Plus many potentially great titles like Cyberpunk, TLoU 2 or Death Stranding on the horizon.

Such a poor generation:p

Soldato
The netflixication that’s been happening with game pass, Psn+, games with gold. This gem we have been able to try games we wouldn’t normally even look at and found some hidden gems.

I’m a FPS and RPG guy but loved Gone Home and everybody’s gone to the rapture. Games I wouldn’t normally sniff at.

Associate
Gamepass is game changer for me :)

Allowing me to try different games otherwise I would skip or wait for massive sale.

Caporegime
I’m 48, I grew up in the era of games like Elite, Way of the Exploding Fist, Beach Head etc....

It almost doesn’t matter what they release these days, not even close, despite the hardware being indescribably better!

Soldato
Play those games today though and you'll find that very very few have aged well. They seemed awesome at the time because they were all we had and they were our first experience playing games.

After 30+ years it's inevitable that few games offer genuine surprises but that doesn't mean they aren't fantastic in their own right.

Associate
OP
Play those games today though and you'll find that very very few have aged well. They seemed awesome at the time because they were all we had and they were our first experience playing games.

After 30+ years it's inevitable that few games offer genuine surprises but that doesn't mean they aren't fantastic in their own right.

agree with your point that i probably grew up in the wow factor of gaming :)

i might have to look at picking up a second hand ps4 then , what doesnt help is i do not really like open world games that much and when you combine that with remastered games, poor sequels and rinse and repeat games that have not changed and then factor out games that need huge grinding on which i dont have time for it does not leave much left ,

Associate
OP
I'd go for a Switch to be honest, feels fresh just because of the form factor. If you haven't played Breath of the Wild then you need to fix that :)

i had one for 6 months and played quite a few games but the fact i found it pretty poor in portable mode and it was sat right next to my xbox when docked it became an expensive paper weight so i sold it .

Back
Top Bottom