Bought new monitor - has intermittent blackouts during gaming.

Associate
Hello.

I recently bought a new monitor (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-23m-sa.html#).

I have noticed that, when gaming, it will occasionally blackout for a few seconds (with everything else still working fine behind the monitor) before going back to normal again. I'm not having any crashes or anything like that. During the black out, I get the "HDMI #2" icon pop up, like it has just reconnected to that slot.

It tends to blackout most often on 144hz, which I was assuming was due to my rig not necessarily being able to run 2560 x 1440 at 144hz. I am currently tending to keep it at 100hz, which at first was massively reducing the amount of times it would black out, but it has started to do it frequently enough even on 100hz for it to be an annoyance.

I'm using the High-speed HDMI that the monitor came with, and it is plugged into my GPU.

Initially, I was able to play League of Legends at 144hz without it ever blacking out whatsoever, but even that has started to have frequent blackouts now, even at 100hz. The other games I play were far too frequently blacking out at 144hz right from the start, which I assumed was because they were a lot more taxing to run in the first place.

Specs :-
GPU : Radeon RX 580
CPU : Intel i5-8400 @ 2.8ghz (6 core)
RAM : 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Dual Channel RGB Kit
Motherbord : B360 DDR4 Motherboard

Steps I've taken :-

I have overclocked my GPU to a small degree by following this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XydZH8DaTuI

All of my graphic drivers are up to date

I have no Windows updates waiting to be installed

The blackouts specifically only occur during gaming

I haven't used any other cables, but I never had this issue with my older, smaller monitor which I ran at 1920 x 1080, 60fps. I still have the cables for my old monitor but wasn't sure about using them due to them being different.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Associate
OP
Any reason you arnt using the display port cable? I dont think you can get 2560 1440 144hz using HDMI

I just used the high-speed HDMI that came with the monitor in the box. I know absolutely nothing about Display Port cables (or much about this sort of stuff in general, in truth) - could you please direct me to one that would do the trick? A display port cable didn't come with it.

Associate
OP
was it bought brand new? if so im pretty sure it should have had a DP lead in the box now days.

It was bought from this website (from the link in the main post) so I assume it was brand new. It did say in the booklet that came that it doesn't necessarily come with all pieces that it showed in the booklet. It lists HDMI cable, HDMI-DVI cable, and Display Port Cable, with (optional) written underneath all of them. I only received the HDMI cable. The booklet also had an addendum stating that the parts may vary by country.

Caporegime
Firs thing I'd do is change to a spare HDMI as said above and then order a Displayport cable even an Amazon basics one or one from here will do but I'm surprised it didn't come with one, as the others are above.

Associate
Remove your GPU overclock and set back to stock settings and re-test otherwise this is just going to make troubleshooting more difficult.

I would also check the power connectors on the GPU are connected properly and not loose.

HDMI 2.0 should support 1440p @ 144Hz according to wikipedia data rate table there is enough bandwidth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

HDMI port2 is the recommended port to use on the monitor according to the User manual p.14
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201906/20190619124343444/BN46-00712A-Eng.pdf
Connects to a source device using an HDMI cable or HDMI-DVI cable.
―HDMI1 support 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
―HDMI2 support 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz / 100 Hz / 120 Hz / 144 Hz

The RX 580 Graphics card supports HDMI 2.0 as far as I can tell quick google search but what make/model card do you have specifically?

You could try a DisplayPort cable (I think Vesa certified is best) or a different HDMI cable (needs to be suitable for HDMI 2.0 connection)

Associate
OP
Remove your GPU overclock and set back to stock settings and re-test otherwise this is just going to make troubleshooting more difficult.

I would also check the power connectors on the GPU are connected properly and not loose.

HDMI 2.0 should support 1440p @ 144Hz according to wikipedia data rate table there is enough bandwidth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

HDMI port2 is the recommended port to use on the monitor according to the User manual p.14
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201906/20190619124343444/BN46-00712A-Eng.pdf

The RX 580 Graphics card supports HDMI 2.0 as far as I can tell quick google search but what make/model card do you have specifically?

You could try a DisplayPort cable (I think Vesa certified is best) or a different HDMI cable (needs to be suitable for HDMI 2.0 connection)

It is plugged into HDMI #2, not #1.
For the time being I've ordered a DP cable. Although just for reference (and it's a slight worry) after turning my monitor down to 60hz via the settings panel, I'm STILL getting the black screen occasionally.
The particular model of my GPU is PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

I have just taken both ends of the HDMI cable out and placed them back in again, to no effect.

Associate
Note that not all DP cables are the same in terms of resolution/refresh rate capability. Some cheap-o DP cables will not work on 2560 1440 144hz either.
There are numerous threads on these very forums about different DP cables with people posting various success rates of using one or the other cable. DP cable price will also greatly depend on the length of the cable - if you go above 3 meters the price jumps considerably (as the cable needs fiber wires to support high throughput ?? ).

Some of the monitors I owned had random blackouts too even connected by with DP cable. I eventually traced it down to poor DP cable (and yes, the manufacturers put in the box pretty cheap cables), so I wouldn't exclude bad DP cable even if it came with the monitor.
I previously was after a 3 m long DP cable to run 4k screen at 120 Hz and some folks here suggested LINDY was a good option and it worked well for me too. Check what the cable specifications say before ordering one.

Back
Top Bottom