Intel NUC or SFF for Roon?

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I'm looking at taking roon for a full on test drive over the course of year. I potentially want to run the main server component headless, but install the client/remote app alongside it for use plugged directly into an AV amp.

Key is whatever I buy is as silent as can be without being too crazy on the expense front, fanless would be ideal.

I was looking at the higher spec NUC units and couldn't figure out what extra saving I'd get out of them for the money, there doesn't seem to be huge benefits there,I plus you're limited as far as upgrades go too from what I understand?

So, smallest practical form factor, silent and ideally fanless, i5 and above unless an i3 at a crazy cheap price was available?

Not shy about picking up kit from the members market eithet.

Associate
I’ve been running Roon server on a Celeron N2830 for ages now, 4GB of ram and Windows 10. It hasn’t missed a beat.

It’s connected to my DAC in the living room for playback. Edit - also have Sonos zones in the kitchen, bedroom, garage/workshop and a nuc endpoint in the spare room/office.

Just picked another celeron nuc for the bedroom, if I get chance I’ll try Roon ROCK on it.

Btw, the Gigabyte Brix with a celeron n4000 is fanless.

Last edited:
Soldato
The standard NUCs use tiny low-diameter fans which aren't quiet unless they're barely moving any air.

Whether you'd hear the NUC when it's tucked away somewhere depends how sensitive your hearing is. But in general, if silence is a priority, then the standard NUCs should be crossed off the list.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
OP
Cool, cheers. I ended up getting an i3 model to try, not even plugged it in yet but intend to run roon rock on it so will see how it goes.

It'd be nice to have a front end in the living room, tempted to try a full install with server and remote on windows before rock if you've managed with a celeron @Baggins_451?

Associate
Cool, cheers. I ended up getting an i3 model to try, not even plugged it in yet but intend to run roon rock on it so will see how it goes.

It'd be nice to have a front end in the living room, tempted to try a full install with server and remote on windows before rock if you've managed with a celeron @Baggins_451?

As I said it’s been fine, I control it from an iPad or my phone :)

Back
Top Bottom