Star Citizen - Is it worth playing yet?

Soldato
This was an interesting link. Even in 2017 $30 million was just paying salaries. I think within the next year we are going to see an announcement of bankruptcy but as they have provided a "game" there will be no refunds. I'm not bothered about the $40 I spent in 2014 but I do feel sorry for the people who have spent $100's or $1000's on this.

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cfo-comment-2012-2017-financials
so if i'm reading the graphs correctly, in 2017 they had 481 people. $30m salaries. that averages $61k each, and they've basically got nothing worthwhile to show for it. i'm in the wrong job :(

Associate
so if i'm reading the graphs correctly, in 2017 they had 481 people. $30m salaries. that averages $61k each, and they've basically got nothing worthwhile to show for it. i'm in the wrong job :(

I had a quick look at UK companies house submissions (its free to view company reports) and although I'll admit I don't understand all of it there were 2x director salaries listed in 2018 of £250,000 each plus about £16 million in salaries for about 340 employees. Not sure if that covers the whole company or just UK/Europe though. I assume USA is treated seperately.

Soldato
I had a quick look at UK companies house submissions (its free to view company reports) and although I'll admit I don't understand all of it there were 2x director salaries listed in 2018 of £250,000 each plus about £16 million in salaries for about 340 employees. Not sure if that covers the whole company or just UK/Europe though. I assume USA is treated seperately.
UK Company house submissions are for what it says exactly for UK companies they may have references to overseas companies but the actual figures are for the UK only arm.
Its shocking if you think about it but not surprising if you read the history behind the owner. All these people who spent more than £100 without doing research - a fool and his money are easily parted.

Actually I was intrigued so I thought I would have a look.

2018 Accounts (2019 not yet published)
Robert Space Industries
Turnover £17m
Gross Profit £484k

Employees - they have none but offcharge to parent company (Cloud Imperium)
£392k salaries (doubled from 2017)

Current Assets
£7.9m Creditors
£6m in the bank

Offcharges (to Cloud Imperium)
£5.7m

So not doing too bad considering they have no employees. I would say the salaries are actually paid to the 3 Directors Mr and Mrs Roberts and Mr O Freyermuth

there are 3 further companies also just picking out the most interesting figures

Cloud Imperium Games Limited
£18m Turnover
£500k Profit
£16m wages (doubled from 2017)
£8m Debtors
£11m Creditors
£7m Cash in Bank
Directors Renumeration £256k

Cloud Imperium Rights Limited
Turnover £45k
most of which is paid to Cloud Imperium LLC (below)

Cloud Imperium UK Ltd (this is the UK parent company of the above)
£17m Turnover
£800k profit
This one is interesting as two more directors came on in 2019 and bought shares worth
£15m in total.
They were audited which cost £31k !!
£16m wages (trebled from 2017)
£297k Directors Renumerations
£1.6m in intangible assets, intellectual properties etc
£2.4 in tangible listed as buildings/fixtures and fittings/Computers.

So considering this is just UK and there are companies in other countries eg Germany and of course USA/Texas they are looking okay.

Last edited:
Associate
I gave it a go last time they had a free alfa test, and it was running 1 frame per second at best. From what a read it is still the same situation. Sigh i had high hopes for this game when it was announced

Soldato
I've given up on it too for now, I've downloaded the alpha many times over the years, it has great potential but I just don't get what's taking so long.

I'm going to play it when it finally releases but until then I'm just putting it out of my mind! LOL

Soldato
must admit i'd possibly be more tempted to try it more often if i didn't have such a ****ty internet connection. on a good day it takes me about an hour a gig to download, so when games get the stupid size SC is, forget about it.

Soldato
Cloud Imperium UK Ltd (this is the UK parent company of the above)
£17m Turnover
£800k profit
This one is interesting as two more directors came on in 2019 and bought shares worth
£15m in total.

They were audited which cost £31k !!
£16m wages (trebled from 2017)
£297k Directors Renumerations
£1.6m in intangible assets, intellectual properties etc
£2.4 in tangible listed as buildings/fixtures and fittings/Computers.

So considering this is just UK and there are companies in other countries eg Germany and of course USA/Texas they are looking okay.

15 million in shares, is the emergency investor Roberts brought in January this year, otherwise the company was bust and going to close shop.
I bet January 2020 has to announce someone else coming in with investment money, as that 15 mil above are already spent this year.

Soldato
This was an interesting link. Even in 2017 $30 million was just paying salaries. I think within the next year we are going to see an announcement of bankruptcy but as they have provided a "game" there will be no refunds. I'm not bothered about the $40 I spent in 2014 but I do feel sorry for the people who have spent $100's or $1000's on this.

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cfo-comment-2012-2017-financials

Is the project doesn't go bust, it would be in trouble, given that need more money coming in. 2018 was a very bad year for sales on new ships, and 2019 is even worse.
I feel Roberts going to plan his escape next year and give everything to a distributor for nothing. Then blame in couple of year times the distributor of not delivering what he had in mind.
And the faithful will accept it.

-------------------------

One thing. On "Salaries" are included people like Mark Strong, Gary Oldman, Mark Hamil, John Rhys-Davies, Gillian Anderson, Andy Serkis, Liam Cunningham, Ben Mendelsohn.
These aren't paid "$61K per year" but hundreds of thousands if not millions.

Soldato
If things are that bad they need to stop promising the world, stop over promising a thousands different things. Just focus on the basics and release the game and then add more content with patches after.

If this game never gets released it will be a great shame after all this time, money and investment.

Soldato
Is the project doesn't go bust, it would be in trouble, given that need more money coming in. 2018 was a very bad year for sales on new ships, and 2019 is even worse.
I feel Roberts going to plan his escape next year and give everything to a distributor for nothing. Then blame in couple of year times the distributor of not delivering what he had in mind.
And the faithful will accept it.

-------------------------

One thing. On "Salaries" are included people like Mark Strong, Gary Oldman, Mark Hamil, John Rhys-Davies, Gillian Anderson, Andy Serkis, Liam Cunningham, Ben Mendelsohn.
These aren't paid "$61K per year" but hundreds of thousands if not millions.
ah yeah, totally forgot about the talent they filmed for S42. and the fact i was able to is sad in itself.

Associate
If things are that bad they need to stop promising the world, stop over promising a thousands different things. Just focus on the basics and release the game and then add more content with patches after.

This! It's time to get some content in the game, people are starting to really lose faith with this "project". The game seems to have been designed backwards, its started off complicated and now they are struggling with implementing the basic features into the game.

Associate
Is there any indication of when the single player game or the actual game is ever going to be finished? We are on alpha since forever and from the looks of it they will go bankrupt before ever releasing anything

Soldato
Is there any indication of when the single player game or the actual game is ever going to be finished? We are on alpha since forever and from the looks of it they will go bankrupt before ever releasing anything

On January roadmap they were talking for Alpha H2 2020!!!!
However on the roadmap had 5 years worth of work for the Alpha.

Soldato
This! It's time to get some content in the game, people are starting to really lose faith with this "project". The game seems to have been designed backwards, its started off complicated and now they are struggling with implementing the basic features into the game.

I'd have thought by now the only people left with any faith were Roberts cultist's from the forums and the content providers on YT who have a vested finacial interest in hyping the product to the remaining cultist's and rubes.

Back
Top Bottom