Parcel Delivery System for Flats

Permabanned
Sure, there are lots of solutions all the way down to not buying things online, just go into shops. I'm asking for help with this method as it would be easiest for me...

If it ws me I would build a parcel drop off point outside OR get some old style school lockers (large ones) and get them bolted to the ground some how.

Maybe a buzzer system so people can come down to collect the parcel at the new door?

There's a few options available.

Associate
We have a trade button, but it seems very unreliable.

Thanks all.

What is unreliable about it? Does the button sometimes not work, or does the delovery driver sometimes not press it?

How do letters get delivered to you? Does the delivery driver get in and put it in your letterbox/mailbox?

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I need to see how it works and see if I can get it set properly. Even then, it's only meant to let people in between 9 and 2pm or something. It should let a delivery person press the 'trade' button and it will release the door lock, between the set times. It doesn't seems to do this all the days it's supposed to. Even if that works, if I get a delivery at 3:30pm and no-one is in our block, they're not getting in.

I could use a local pickup, but in London, that can take 15 mins or so to deal with...

It might be there's no decent solution and I have fix the buzzer and cope as best I can. It's not the end of the world, I just wondered if there's a good solution out there.

(I could perhaps work out how to change the timer and make the trade button work from 8am to 6pm and see if anyone notices/complains)

Caporegime
Got to be detached. All those pesky semi detached neighbours preventing parcel deliveries :confused:

Well Terraced, etc will have the same issues. So detached covers all the bases in terms of being full proof.

Obviously if he's in a flat he's limited to what he can do. He can't just build a parcel drop off point in a communal area without approval, etc.

Soldato
Some trades buttons I know only work before 1000 and one got cancelled altogether because someone started sleeping in the communal hall... More than half the time their mail does not get delivered and so letters and parcels can build up for repeat attempts.

Caporegime
Yeah, I need to see how it works and see if I can get it set properly. Even then, it's only meant to let people in between 9 and 2pm or something. It should let a delivery person press the 'trade' button and it will release the door lock, between the set times. It doesn't seems to do this all the days it's supposed to. Even if that works, if I get a delivery at 3:30pm and no-one is in our block, they're not getting in.

I could use a local pickup, but in London, that can take 15 mins or so to deal with...

It might be there's no decent solution and I have fix the buzzer and cope as best I can. It's not the end of the world, I just wondered if there's a good solution out there.

(I could perhaps work out how to change the timer and make the trade button work from 8am to 6pm and see if anyone notices/complains)

Just use local pick up. I don't see what the issue is. The only other real solution is to buy a proper house.

You cannot just start installing stuff in communal areas just for your own use. Also there is a reason why there is a security door by putting a button there that bypasses the door why not just remove the door completely or leave a key outside under a plant pot?

Also when you order stuff online you can usually leave delivery instructions. Again this is extremely limited with it being a flat.

However if something needs to be signed for you will still need to go to the depot. Albeit I have a special arrangement with my postie. He signs them for me and leaves them in a secure place. I do have 5 cameras watching my property though including the door, safe place, etc. I set this up through my Nest Hello. I basically asked him to leave it and then he asked is it okay for me to sign for it and I said yes and he now does it for every parcel.

I have so many parcels delivered all the local guys know what to do now. However if I lived in a flat it simply wouldn't be possible. Local pickup is the only option IMO.

Soldato
OP
Just use local pick up. I don't see what the issue is.

As said, it's an option, not a good one.

You cannot just start installing stuff in communal areas just for your own use.

Never said I would. Already stated it would be a communal option, for everyone, installed by 'everyone'.

Why do people keep answering a different question? I just don't get it? Thanks for those that did try and answer what I was actually asking. I guess there isn't what I was hoping for. :( I'll just unsub this thread now, to avoid arguments :p

Caporegime
How do you propose you have a system for storing parcels for 8 flats or however many there are in your block?

You would need 8 separate lockers outside the main door.

How do you propose you get more than 1 delivery per day? As in when the first parcel comes they stick in locker then lock it. So only you can open it. Unless you tell every delivery person the pin number. Which isn't secure.

You could then have 8 chute type lockers for dropping off but now you are talking about spending £4K on lockers.

There is a reason why flats don't have them as standard.

Man of Honour
How do you propose you have a system for storing parcels for 8 flats or however many there are in your block?

You would need 8 separate lockers outside the main door.

How do you propose you get more than 1 delivery per day? As in when the first parcel comes they stick in locker then lock it. So only you can open it. Unless you tell every delivery person the pin number. Which isn't secure.

You could then have 8 chute type lockers for dropping off but now you are talking about spending £4K on lockers.

There is a reason why flats don't have them as standard.
Well I'd say that's why he's asking the question...

Caporegime
Well I'd say that's why he's asking the question...

It's common sense it isn't possible.

What happens if you order a monitor or something else which doesn't fit?

What if you order something fragile is it okay to drop in the chute?

What if you order something which gets wet from being outside all day? The lockers would need to be pretty secure and weatherproof to last long term.

Also what about all the neighbours who don't want 8 massive lockers outside the main door?

There is a reason why trillion dollar companies like amazon have already set up drop off locations for people like him.

So he needs to stop being lazy and use them or the real alternative is buying a proper house.

Soldato

Get one of these, just make sure you have plenty of room to be able to open the door when it has a parcel in it :p Obviously not designed for the UK market where the typical hallway is about a door width.

A problem with the parcel lockers is that they need the delivery driver to know the pin to open it and not all websites let you leave a note that will be passed on. I guess something that ties in with a video doorbell could work where you remotely unlock the parcel locker / box when required.

Do they do a video doorbell for flats where each flat can have a remote link (like nest etc)? Then you could just buzz them in to drop the parcel off when you are at work.

Back
Top Bottom