Signs the World is Broken

RxR

RxR

Soldato
That all depends on who's in control of the shutdown menu... a pandemic restart or a nuclear shutdown? I'm happier staying in hibernation.

I'm more inclined to the Anaion theory - a quantum strategic survivalist (fear-ridden) defense space-homed robot with a sufficiently human emotional iq and superior (25,000+) iq autonomously resorting to 'defense in place' - simply decrypting controls and detonating existing WMD's where they are - pharao-like, to be the last superior 'being' standing. No-one would see 'it' coming. Consciousness ie. creating it in mechano-computing devices - is not a really difficult technical problem.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That all depends on who's in control of the shutdown menu... a pandemic restart or a nuclear shutdown? I'm happier staying in hibernation.

Short of a catastrophic event far beyond "a pandemic restart or a nuclear shutdown", the world itself carries on regardless. Humans might not, but the world does. Ending the world would require something far more extreme than ending humanity or even ending all life on Earth.

Off the top of my head:

1) Being engulfed by a star. Maybe Sol when it enters its red giant phase, possibly. Maybe when this galaxy collides with the Andromeda galaxy.
2) Being torn apart by a black hole. Maybe when this galaxy collides with the Andromeda galaxy. Maybe a rogue black hole moving around the universe, if there is such a thing.
3) A collision with enough energy to smash Earth to small pieces. Which would require another planet. Maybe when this galaxy collides with the Andromeda galaxy.

If I'm around in a billion years I'll start worrying about the possibility. So probably not.

EDIT: On the theme of treating the universe as an MMO game (you referred to a shutdown menu), have you watched Tierzoo channel on Youtube? It's comparative biology videos within the framework of treating the Earth as an MMORPG called "Outside". I think it's entertaining. Maybe start with the video "Are humans OP?" or "The Time Earth Glitched".

Last edited:
Man of Honour
3) A collision with enough energy to smash Earth to small pieces. Which would require another planet. Maybe when this galaxy collides with the Andromeda galaxy.

While the chances are extremely unlikely as even the smallest variation in vector over these kind of distances would result in objects becoming incredibly spread out a swarm of interstellar objects like Oumuamua but mostly a bit bigger would likely effectively end Earth.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Yet the Black Country was once known the most racist place in Europe :D Bloody werid but true.
You don't fight hate with violence, you beat it with love ;) also, I think robfosters moved counties :p

On the theme of treating the universe as an MMO game (you referred to a shutdown menu), have you watched Tierzoo channel on Youtube? It's comparative biology videos within the framework of treating the Earth as an MMORPG called "Outside". I think it's entertaining. Maybe start with the video "Are humans OP?" or "The Time Earth Glitched".
I will give it a watch :)

Man of Honour
It's a power play, a political tactic, a form of bullying. It has nothing to do with being offended. Saying "I'm offended" just means "I am a superior group identity to you or claiming to champion one and you must obey me and be punished to demonstrate my superiority". That's why weaponised "offence" is always about group identities rather than people and why the effect of using that weapon depends on the relative statuses of the group identities involved.

As for the world, it's always been broken. Or, more accurately, human society has always been broken. The world itself carries on regardless.

Absolutely, although there are many good eggs out there.

Man of Honour
Absolutely, although there are many good eggs out there.

Yes, but they're not controlling society. I think there are three main broad causes of the unending brokenness (is that a real word?) of societies:

1) Power very strongly tends to end up in the hands of people who seek power and very few "good eggs" seek power.
2) Without an appalling degree of brainwashing, there's no way everyone is going to agree on what a really good society is.
3) Nobody knows how to make a really good society anyway. Humans have plenty of intelligence and cunning, but not so much wisdom.

I think the best that can realistically be hoped for in a society is that it functions adequately and has a reasonable level of, for want of a better word, reasonableness.

Caporegime
Lots of things seem to be a race to the bottom atm. Especailly TV.

Even the news is at it. They just love to find the most ignorant "layman" they can get their hands on and then "interview" them, about all and sundry.

So you get lots of insights like, "I don't want no vaccines giving me mouth aids." Well, you know what I mean, don't you?

The news is now an entertainment product; part reporting, part The Jerry Springer show; they do love to get dumbasses on camera.

Caporegime
The problem is how centralised everything has become, you've got about a dozen or so corporations who control about 95% of what people see, if they want to push and condition people into outrage culture who's to stop them? They pretty much have the power to influence governments as politicians all want to be known as heroes of the people and are terrified of bad press.

Back
Top Bottom