Plastering advise

Associate
Hi all,

In the process of getting the master bedroom sorted so have been getting quotes for plastering it.

First guy said 3 walls had blown plaster, only way to get it good again is to rip existing plaster off back to brick/plasterboard and redo - OK I thought, if that's what is needed then that's fine.

Got a second quote tonight from a chap who agreed they were blown but said it was a waste of money ripping it all off and he could simply scrim tape the blown areas and skim over it, he was adamant this would be fine and not cause any problems?

Anyone had any experience of this as I'm a bit unsure on which route to go down.

Thanks in advance :)

Associate
im a builder by trade and as such i do some plastering myself and work alongside other tradesmen, personally its always best to pull off the loose material and patch it back up with bonding and the plaster the lot, scrim tape over cracks is ok and perfectly fine but loose material will always remain loose and eventually crack again costing you more in the long run. there is no need to strip the whole walls back just chop out the loose stuff thats moving. dead sounding areas is fine too you usually always have that in parts of the wall in most houses, just give it a tap with your knuckles, if it sounds hollow its fine, if it moves then take it off. if cost is an issue then remove some of the loose stuff yourself its really very easy and requires minimal tools, a simple hammer and old chisel/bolster will do.

Soldato
Do a lot of plasterers these days resort to plasterboard, seems a short cut.

I'm doing all my own and using hardwall followed by multi finish.

Associate
Do a lot of plasterers these days resort to plasterboard, seems a short cut.

I'm doing all my own and using hardwall followed by multi finish.
to be honest dot and dabbing plasterboard is a much simpler way of doing it and its far easier to rip off and re do in the future, patching up damages is just as easy to so id always op for that. its cheaper as well!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys.

Ironically they both came back at exactly the same price so think I'm going to go for the rip off/new plaster approach.

I think the 'patch it up' chap was trying his luck!

Soldato
Stronger, quieter, easier to hang heavy things on the wall.
Stud walls are just cheaper and easier.

If done to a higher spec, stud walls offer significantly better sound proofing than masonry. It's all we use in schools and hanging isn't an issue either if you patress them.

Soldato
You also can`t/should not make a brick wall upstairs or on a timber suspended floor
It used to be done YEARS ago but it was a crap building method
Yes solid block/brick walls are `better` my opinion too :D BUT they are more prone to cracking/crazing than a dot and dab wall with plasterboard

Back
Top Bottom