*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Man of Honour
I've pre-ordered the move. Yes, it's expensive, but it's also something that I've been looking for. I can sell two old and unused One's to fund part of it.

Associate
I've pre-ordered the move. Yes, it's expensive, but it's also something that I've been looking for. I can sell two old and unused One's to fund part of it.

Have to say when I saw it it was pretty much the product from them i have been hoping for as would be great to have in conservatory and be able to pick up and take outside if were in the garden etc.

I'm holding back at the moment, a bit frustrated tbh that its the price it is. £200 to £250 or so i would have bitten for sure but £399 just seems too much of a stretch at the moment. :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
My move has arrivied, it's a weighty unit and feels solid as you'd expect. I don't really want to make any claims about sound so far as I'd imagine it'll need a good few hours to run in but so far it's a bit 'meh'. Bass is okay up to around maybe 60% volume (which is pretty loud to be honest) but it turns into more of a thud after that. It might be the wooden table it's sat on, not sure. I need more time with it to properly gauge it.

Soldato
I use my Sonos set-up almost exclusively with my own music library on a computer connected to the same router. On occasion that I want to listen to music without that computer turned on, I have Google Music - but the free version which just uploads your own music*. It plays from this quite happily too.

Because of this, I've never felt any need to get a music service subscription. But I just got Xbox gamepass, which gave me a 6 month Spotify Premium membership. Should I take it up, and use it with my Sonos? Am I going to see a vast benefit to this and wonder how I coped with out it?

Or is it being to be a slight improvement - enough to tempt me to continue my subscription despite it noit really being worth the money to me?

Or am I going to fine no benefit at all, and then find it's a pain in the bum to unsubscribe, or to disassociate it from my Sonos account?

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received. :)

*Interestingly, some of the music when played from this service is clearly not the version I possess. One example is when there's an expletive missed out. So, I guess not unexpectedly, they don't really upload your songs, they just identify what they are and play their own tracks. Makes sense - the storage requirements would be vast otherwise!

Last edited:
Soldato
Been using spotify with my Sonos for years now. Ever since the server that had all my local music on kind of collapsed.
But spotify premium gives you all that music anyway, so imho it’s totally worth it.
I listen to podcasts as well which are on spotify.
I use alexa to voice control it all as well (got 3x play1 - not voice activated).
I could put my local music onto an external hard drive and attached it via usb to my router, but no need as, again, spotify has everything I want.

Soldato
Been using spotify with my Sonos for years now. Ever since the server that had all my local music on kind of collapsed.
But spotify premium gives you all that music anyway, so imho it’s totally worth it.
I listen to podcasts as well which are on spotify.
I use alexa to voice control it all as well (got 3x play1 - not voice activated).
I could put my local music onto an external hard drive and attached it via usb to my router, but no need as, again, spotify has everything I want.

You don't own any of your music, it's not lossless.

Soldato
OK, I've gone for it. Any tips for using spotify with Sonos? Or just using Spotify at all for that matter!

I read a tip that using the radio stations and rating what you hear is a good way to quickly get it to build up recommendations, but I don't see radio as an option when using the Sonos app.

Also, does Spotify register the songs you listen to using Sonos to help build your preferences?

Soldato
Countered by the fact you have all of your music with you wherever you are (as long as you have an internet connection)

New albums come out and you have them available instantly.

Lossless is not something your average consumer is worried about.

I don't have internet where I am, and I am not your average customer,I would want high bitrate vorbis or lossless

Soldato
I seem to be finding (but I'd love to hear others' experiences) that it's actually best to use the Spotify app to play music, rather than using the Sonos app. It still allows you to group rooms just as easily as the Sonos app, but it has a few advantages:
  • Viewing song info on your phone (such as lyrics in some cases).
  • Ability to rate the song as it plays, which in theory should improve future recommendations.
  • Full access to all the different ways of choosing music to play in Spotify, rather than just genres and playlists mostly in the Sonos app.
I'm not really seeing any downsides to using the Spotify app. It's maybe not quite as polished for use with Sonos stuff.

The worry is that this does seem to be making quite a difference to how I use the system - meaning I will likely have to continue with the subscription once the free 6 months ends. :D

Soldato
I seem to be finding (but I'd love to hear others' experiences) that it's actually best to use the Spotify app to play music, rather than using the Sonos app. It still allows you to group rooms just as easily as the Sonos app, but it has a few advantages:
  • Viewing song info on your phone (such as lyrics in some cases).
  • Ability to rate the song as it plays, which in theory should improve future recommendations.
  • Full access to all the different ways of choosing music to play in Spotify, rather than just genres and playlists mostly in the Sonos app.
I'm not really seeing any downsides to using the Spotify app. It's maybe not quite as polished for use with Sonos stuff.

The worry is that this does seem to be making quite a difference to how I use the system - meaning I will likely have to continue with the subscription once the free 6 months ends. :D

The major disadvantage of using the Spotify app, is that you can't play different songs in different rooms from 1 account (you can when you use the Sonos app).

Soldato
Good call - hadn't spotted that (because I pretty much never do it) - but that knowledge will save me much frustration if it ever comes up (assuming I remember!)

Back
Top Bottom