• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2 x 6 pin to 8 pin adapter question

Associate
Trying to help a friend out. He has a 600w PSU that only has a 6 pin connector (originally had 2 but lost one) and wants to connect his new GPU that only has an 8 pin slot.

6 pin to 8 pin adapters are freely available and it looks as though the PSU has enough available power on the 12v rail for the new GPU. The graphics card box has a 2 x 6 pin female to 8 pin male adapter. Would this act the same as a straight 6pin to 8 pin adapter if I just connected one of the 6 pins?

Man of Honour
It will work, yes, but make yourself aware of the function of the extra two pins before doing so and check the adapter to see what it's connecting to where.

I run the second 8 pin connector on my GPU with just a 6 pin, nothing even in the other 2 pins :p

Associate
OP
It will work, yes, but make yourself aware of the function of the extra two pins before doing so and check the adapter to see what it's connecting to where.

I run the second 8 pin connector on my GPU with just a 6 pin, nothing even in the other 2 pins :p

Ok thanks, useful to know

Yes thats what its there for!

Ok, but its a splitter cable rather than just a straight adapter and sometimes you can't be too careful with electrics so was just making sure

Soldato
a 6 pin pcie connector is rated to 75w, an 8-pin is rated to 150w, having said that the only difference between the two is an extra 2 ground lines
What card is it?
you could get a molex to 6-pin connector and then run the 2x 6-pin to 8-pin adaptor as well, would be safer than just running a single 6-pin straight in to an 8-pin

Back
Top Bottom