New build wont turn on! Psu or mobo issue?

Associate
Hi.

I recently decided to put together a new gaming PC, I've reused a couple of parts from my old rig(GPU, SSD and CPU cooler) and everything else is new. I hooked everything up but it wont turn on, no fans spinning and no lights.

Spec is

I9 9900k
MSI Z390-A Pro
16GB Corsair Platinum Dominator RGB RAM 3600MHz
ASUS 8gb RX580
480GB SSD
Corsair RM850 psu
Coolermaster 212 evo cpu cooler
Seagate 1TB hdd(this isnt brand new but was never used and it wasnt in my old rig, I just had it spare)
Corsair 750D obsidian series case

Things I've tried

Checked the orientation of the front panel power switch connection to the motherboard.

Tried my old PSU, an EVGA 550w, same result, nothing turns on.

Double checked all connections to make sure they are secured properly.

Tried to turn on with just 1 stick of RAM, alternating each stick and slot.

My old psu and the gpu definitely work fine. My old rig still has a mobo, 8gb of ram and the cpu(with no cooler) in it that I could use as a test rig if needed. Not sure if I'd need to move parts back or not.

I'm not sure what to try next, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Associate
You can try the paperclip to check if the PSU is working.
Or check all connections, as the CPU power cable, which is the one I often forget to connect as stays almost covered by the top radiator.

Soldato
had something very similar many moons ago, turned out we had a screw sitting under the agp slot, yeh very many moons ago :)

yep as mr potato says check the cpu power is plugged in the mainboard :)

have you turned on the psu switch at the back or tried a different lead?

Associate
OP
Sounds like it's shorting on the case. Build it on the motherboard box and see if it changes things.

Built it outside the case on the box, same results. No fans come on and no lights.

had something very similar many moons ago, turned out we had a screw sitting under the agp slot, yeh very many moons ago :)

yep as mr potato says check the cpu power is plugged in the mainboard :)

have you turned on the psu switch at the back or tried a different lead?

Have tried a different lead and also double checked all connections, including the cpu one.

I've not done the paperclip test on my new psu, my old and working psu is giving me the same results, no lights or fans coming on. I dont think the psu is where the issue lies. Could the mobo be dead?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Could be the motherboard or the CPU, if you have tried another PSU.
What about taking the CPU out and checking for bent pins etc and reseat the CPU?
Worth a try.

Same result, not turning on, no lights or fans spinning. The cpu looked fine, no bent pins or signs of dmg.

When I had everything off I checked the BIOS battery on the suggestion of a friend, he thought there may have been a plastic tab to remove, there wasn't.

I also tried different power cables for the cpu and for the mobo, still nothing.

Really think my mobo is DOA, not sure what else I can try. I'm open to any further suggestions.

Thank you all for the help, it's really appreciated :)

Associate
Same result, not turning on, no lights or fans spinning. The cpu looked fine, no bent pins or signs of dmg.

When I had everything off I checked the BIOS battery on the suggestion of a friend, he thought there may have been a plastic tab to remove, there wasn't.

I also tried different power cables for the cpu and for the mobo, still nothing.

Really think my mobo is DOA, not sure what else I can try. I'm open to any further suggestions.

Thank you all for the help, it's really appreciated :)
Yeah does sound like your mobo, won't be the first time I have had a DOA motherboard brand new either, think I have had 3 over the years.
Good luck with the RMA

Back
Top Bottom