• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth replacing the fans on an RTX 2080 ti founders edition?

Associate
Hi,

I've seen a PC in a clearance store that has i7 9700, 16gb, ssd, hdd and a 2080 Ti Founders Edition for £1,329 and I was wondering if it is worth getting it for the Ti and replacing the stock fan with a water cooler solution, which I assume will set me back another £150?

I was wondering if the performance of the GPU with a powerful cooler is good enough to warrant the price.

Soldato
Watercooling the GPU will cost a lot more than $150, the block alone is not far off that price, plus high CFM fans, radiator, pump, tubing, barbs, coolant and any extras you might throw in, you're looking at a lot more.

As for the GPU, as mentioned above, if you set a custom fan curve profile and your case has decent air flow. You'll be fine.

Soldato
The founders edition is a decent cooler to be honest, as good as some AIB coolers. If you are worried about noise and temps you can always run a custom voltage curve and knock power down by 30% and only a few percent to total performance.

Soldato
There are also 3rd party air coolers you can pick up for much less that does a good cooling job. MK-26 which is the one i have had no issue taming a r9 290 overclocked, 980ti overclocked, 1080 ti overclocked and various other cards. Remember my 1080ti sitting in the 55's C when gaming.

Associate
OP
Cool, I was thinking of air coolers. My only other question is, as I didn't find a good comparison online, is there a big performance trade-off between 2080 Ti Founders Edition and a 3rd party (Asus, MSI etc.) 2080 Ti or Super?

Last edited:
Soldato
Cool, I was thinking of air coolers. My only other question is, as I didn't find a good comparison online, is there a big performance trade-off between 2080 Ti Founders Edition and a 3rd party (Asus, MSI etc.) 2080 Ti or Super?

As someone mentioned above, the cooler on the FE card is actually pretty respectable. Here is 3D Guru's review of the Strix 2080Ti: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_rog_strix_preview,10.html

I am adding it as the 2080Ti mentioned in benchmarks is the FE model. Performance wise they are very similar which means clock speeds out the box are relatively close. On the temp graph you can see the FE model is a few DB louder, but nothing that would cause a world of difference. Here is same example but with the MSI gaming Trio: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_gaming_x_trio_review,10.html

Slightly better overall then the strix and FE in most spots, but nothing massively so.

Associate
OP
Got it! Was still in the shop! Came with a 12 months warranty.

Motherboard: Asus Prime H310-Plus
CPU: i7 9700f
RAM: 16GB 2400 Corsair
Video card: 2080 Ti FE
Storage: 256 SSD, 2TB HDD

It also seems to have a beefy CPU cooler and I will need to install extra case fans as it only has 2.

Thanks for the help, guys! :D

Back
Top Bottom