Laptop screen flickering/turning off

Soldato
My laptop screen is very faint when I switch it on, I can barely see the logo. Occasionally when I turn the laptop on it's the proper brightness but very rarely then when I move the laptop the screen goes off if it is bright. Does this mean the back light is going or maybe it's a loose cable or the inverter, can anyone diagnose?

Soldato
It's likely to be one of those two. In my opinion intermittent like that, sounds mechanical. Pinched cable, loose connection or similar. Maybe a bad solder joint.

If the inverter (if there is one - LED backlights don't need one) is going, that's usually different. The backlight might work during boot but not on desktop, or might work for dark images but not bright ones. As if it can deliver low light, but full power causes it to flake out.

Try things like wiggling the hinges, putting the screen in different positions etc. If that has any impact, you can locate the region at fault. If not, a strip down and reassemble can help secure loose connections.

Soldato
OP
Is the circuit board at the top the backlight, or what is it, I know the circuit at the bottom of pic is the inverter?

IMG-20191113-151707.jpg

Soldato
I'm guessing that's the entire control board for the panel. Backlight and picture. Is that the only cable going into the panel?

Be careful around the inverter and connections, it can generate high voltages and can short dramatically (sparks and burning!) quite easily.

Back
Top Bottom