Buy only what you need

Caporegime
Hi all

I am asking how you personally interpret this message.

The "message" has been around for thousands of years with different variations, but all meaning the same thing, which is to buy only that which you need.

Food, clothes, water and shelter are a basic need, but what about if there is something you want, but that want is maybe useful, helpful, or even enjoyable?

Where do YOU draw the line on what you NEED? And what you want?

It depends totally on the person and their frame of mind.

Warren Buffet the richest man in the world buys his personal cars from flood damage claims second hand for pennies. Even though he could probably go out and buy 10 lambos a day until he dies. He still lives in the same average house he bought when he wasn't wealthy. Even though he could easily build the worlds most expensive home.

I would say a car is pretty much a necessity for most folk these days and with the state of driving you want it to be safe, reliable, etc too. Which isn't cheap.

Same goes for housing. They are so expensive even for something in a mediocre area away from the really bad areas.

You could probably give it all up. No TV, no phone, no car, no house, etc. But for most people that wouldn't be an enjoyable life to live. I don't watch much tv but when I do want to see a live football match or something I need one.

Value for money is key here. As in if you are buying the latest iphone for £1K every few years, pcp'ing a brand new brand name car then complaining about being broke or not being able to afford a house then your priorities are wrong. You can buy a decent phone these days for like £150-£250 outright and brand new. A decent car though will be second hand and a minimum of around £5-8K and if you want something with better brand then £12-£15K second hand. After that is very much premium or luxuries I would say in the second hand market or very new cars.

I find it funny with how some people view cars that suddenly are of X age as being done. Buy the right car and forget all other factors is my view.

Soldato
You walk around naked then!

Haha. More often than you think. Failing that, I walk around in clothes I buy exclusively at charity shops or second hand online. Make no mistake, you'll never tell it's 2nd hand. I buy it from people that appear to be compulsive shoppers buying for happiness or whatever and then sell online for a huge loss.

Soldato
i generally buy only what i need. i also try and fix items that have broken rather than just chuck it and buy a new one
i've never been in debt and never had the stress that goes with it

Caporegime
My only debt in life is my mortgage. It is the upbringing I have had in life. Never had a credit card either. My father was quite wealthy and retired early after being in the army for 25 years but everything he did went into his children's future and never used to splash his cash. Family is the most important thing to me. I do enjoy my hobbies but they are not the be all and end all.

Caporegime
An average house has 5 bedrooms? :confused:

if you are referring to my post. then you need to look at property cost back then in America and location. Was peanuts. He bought it in his twenties and he's not exactly young. Compare his wealth to the home then yes it's very much average. Especially back then. It's probably worth a lot more today but you have to remember he is very frugal so he probably had more cash than the average person especially when buying his car for buttons, etc. He doesn't like extravagant meals or drinks, etc. He is very simple. He doesn't wear designer clothing, etc. So he had a lot more disposable which likely went into the house than others who ate out a lot and spent money on new cars, etc.

Caporegime
I just buy what I want, when I want. It makes buying me anything for birthday and christmas a complete nightmare so I often tell people not to bother.

I'm the same. If I need something or want something I'll buy it.

Tend to not buy anything now for birthdays or christmas. As in I will buy something before hand and say well that is the christmas present. We just got it in November instead of 25th of december.

The wife wanted a barbour jacket so I got her one and said well that is your birthday present. Even though her birthday was 4 months later.

Caporegime
That is genuinely a really sad picture which is not nice to read tbh :(

How so? Birthdays, Valentines day, christmas is all marketing. I don't believe in any of that rubbish.

If she wants something she gets it there and then. Then if someone asks what did you get her for X, I say i got her this, even though she's had it for sometimes a month or 4 before hand.

I don't follow all the sheep who say you must do this on this day, etc.

We were going on holiday and I know she wanted an SLR for christmas. So rather than buy one for christmas after the holiday I bought one before. But it's her christmas present.

I don't see an issue with this at all. Each to their own though.

Why does someone deserve a present for being born on that day? It's marketing. You have been programmed to think that by PR. Simple as. I feel sorry for you as you can't think for yourself.

Associate
Hi all

The "message" has been around for thousands of years with different variations, but all meaning the same thing, which is to buy only that which you need.

Hi all

Food, clothes, water and shelter are a basic need, but what about if there is something you want, but that want is maybe useful, helpful, or even enjoyable?

are a basic need, but what about if there is something you want, but that want is maybe useful, helpful, or even enjoyable?

Kinda answered your own question in OP....

Food, shelter, water, clothes are my NEEDS and every humans NEEDS.

Everything else is superflous

Caporegime
Kinda answered your own question in OP....

Food, shelter, water, clothes are my NEEDS and every humans NEEDS.

Everything else is superflous

In order to pay for those needs you need a job. In order to do or get to some jobs you need a car. In order to do well in some jobs you need to have a mobile phone, smart clothing, private education. The list goes on and on.

Caporegime
Oh gosh... No, definitely not, in that case. An SLR would be a hideous choice, even if you don't want to blend in.
No, it's all AR-15s out that way, nowadays.

Had a shotgun (which took 10 shells at a time) and a semi automatic assault rifle (both privately owned) and rented a handgun and a clip per person when we went to the range. so dabbled in a bit of everything. the .50 cal sniper was enticing and i regret not firing a shot now but i was standing 3 feet behind a guy firing one and the gust of air and smoke and the noise was epic. I'll have a go next time for sure. The real intimidating part was seeing the size of the bullet that goes into one. I imagine it destroys anything it touches with ease.

Soldato
the .50 cal sniper was enticing and i regret not firing a shot now but i was standing 3 feet behind a guy firing one and the gust of air and smoke and the noise was epic. I'll have a go next time for sure. The real intimidating part was seeing the size of the bullet that goes into one. I imagine it destroys anything it touches with ease.
Yeah, they're great so long as you actually hit the target. There is no replacement for shot placement.

That reminds me of a trip to the local county Country Life type show a few years ago...
The wife is into her shotguns. Far more so than me. I'm content with a SPAS12, Remington 870 or maybe an Ithaca 37. Fan of the classics, me... She, on teh other hand, will either go with whatever is prettiest (Browing semi-auto with gold inlay, costing many thousands) or whatever looks biggest.

So at this show, there was a have-a-go shooting range in one corner, so of course she went straight to it. Weaving through all the tweed-clad rich folk, we arrived to see a few shotguns, a few random other types... and one very ridiculous looking big thing. Massive report, huge cloud of smoke and the exceptionally hefty blokes trying to shoot it were almost bowled over by the recoil... so when it came to her turn, she said, "I want that one!!".
To her considerable credit, she not only kept her feet, but (unlike the blokes) actually hit the target and earned some respectful looks from the guys running the range... Having more interest in the geekery than actually shooting these things, I enquired - Fella says it's a 2-bore muzzle-loading shotgun... TWO bore!!
She's still not allowed one, though...

Back
Top Bottom