Calling electricians for a question about cookers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Good Morning,
We have an oven which instead of being sensible and wired direct into wall it uses a 13amp plug.
My question is this,would it take much to have it changed so its wired directly into wall.
I really hope this makes sense as to what i am asking.
Thank you.

Soldato
because, if we want to turn oven on and 3 of the 4 rings it blows the fuse!

Ok you said oven but it sounds like this is an electric oven and hob? Are they both on the same plug? or go into the same plug socket?

Generally a 4 ring electric hob is not suitable for wiring into a 13a plug and should have its own dedicated circuit although you can get some 4 ring induction hobs that terminate to a plug but they have a lower power rating.

Soldato
If it blows the fuse it's either faulty or isn't designed to be connected to a 13A circuit in the first place.

Look up the model and see what the connection requirements are.

Is this a built-in hob and oven or a free-standing cooker?

Soldato
OP
No we know its not designed to go into a 13a plug.

We are going to be buying a new cooker, and really what my question is how easy/expensive is it to have an electrician come and wire it in rather than use a plug.

The cooker we currently have is a free standing one.

Also this is currently and will for the future be a duel oven and hob, and current oven goes into one plug, there is only one socket so to speak.

:)

Soldato
So you know its not designed for a 13a plug yet continue to use it? Crazy :rolleyes:

Running new cable for the dedicated circuit isn't a hard job but the cost really depends where your consumer unit is and how easy it will be to run the new cable. We wont be able to give any prices on here it really depends on your house.

Soldato
OP
So you know its not designed for a 13a plug yet continue to use it? Crazy :rolleyes:

Running new cable for the dedicated circuit isn't a hard job but the cost really depends where your consumer unit is and how easy it will be to run the new cable. We wont be able to give any prices on here it really depends on your house.

We cannot exactly help how are house is wired or how previous owners have done things.
It also only blows the more we have on, as we normally only have oven on and not the rings its fine.

I understand prices cant be given it was a general question.

Soldato
I'm assuming the oven and hob are wired up seperately?

I would contact an electrician, should cost no more than £60-£100 depending on works required.

Soldato
Good Morning,
We have an oven which instead of being sensible and wired direct into wall it uses a 13amp plug.
My question is this,would it take much to have it changed so its wired directly into wall.
I really hope this makes sense as to what i am asking.
Thank you.

Just taking the plug off the end and wiring it into the socket isn't going to help. The wiring and the RCD in the consumer unit needs to be specced correctly. For instance I have a high power induction hob in my kitchen. It is on it's own circuit with heavy duty wiring and a 45 amp isolator switch. Rather than being fused at the isolation switch, it is on it's own RCD at the consumer unit. It can draw enough power to melt a 13 or 15 amp fuse, so it can't just be wired like other electrical items.

Other items are on their own ring just for the kitchen, and they are each fused at their own isolation switch, which is a totally separate ring from the induction hob. Some things are on plugs (dishwasher, washing machine, fridge), some things (extractor fan, hob) are wired directly into the circuit with no plugs.

You really need to get a decent electrician to spec a new ring and run a new wire to the consumer unit. This can get expensive if (for instance) you have no space on your consumer unit or have a very old one that needs replacing. Running a new cable also depends on where you need to run it and what access is like. Obviously it's easier to do if you're installing a new kitchen and the room is stripped out, compared to running it in an existing kitchen.

No we know its not designed to go into a 13a plug.

We are going to be buying a new cooker, and really what my question is how easy/expensive is it to have an electrician come and wire it in rather than use a plug.

The cooker we currently have is a free standing one.

Also this is currently and will for the future be a duel oven and hob, and current oven goes into one plug, there is only one socket so to speak.

:)

You need to decide what you are going to want in the future and plan for that. There is a difference between a dual oven and two ovens, and you will need different wiring and RCDs in the consumer unit. A dual oven is usually one oven with two compartments. Two ovens are two separate things that need their own wiring each.

Soldato
OP
Just taking the plug off the end and wiring it into the socket isn't going to help. The wiring and the RCD in the consumer unit needs to be specced correctly. For instance I have a high power induction hob in my kitchen. It is on it's own circuit with heavy duty wiring and a 45 amp isolator switch. Rather than being fused at the isolation switch, it is on it's own RCD at the consumer unit. It can draw enough power to melt a 13 or 15 amp fuse, so it can't just be wired like other electrical items.

Other items are on their own ring just for the kitchen, and they are each fused at their own isolation switch, which is a totally separate ring from the induction hob. Some things are on plugs (dishwasher, washing machine, fridge), some things (extractor fan, hob) are wired directly into the circuit with no plugs.

You really need to get a decent electrician to spec a new ring and run a new wire to the consumer unit. This can get expensive if (for instance) you have no space on your consumer unit or have a very old one that needs replacing. Running a new cable also depends on where you need to run it and what access is like. Obviously it's easier to do if you're installing a new kitchen and the room is stripped out, compared to running it in an existing kitchen.

Thank you, thats a very helpful response.
I will see if i can get an electrician out for a chat. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom