Spec me some decent quality reading glasses please

Man of Honour
For many years I've used Tesco £1 reading glasses (usually +1 or + 1.5) and they have been fine for the odd times I put them on. I've now come to a point where I need to wear them all the time while looking at my PC screen and because I leave them on a lot longer I can now see flaws in them and I need to wipe them a lot.
Because of diabetes I have regular checks and my eyes have always been around +1.5 so I just use cheapies.
So there must be others who have gone through this so would higher priced reading glasses have better lenses etc?
Any recommendations?

Thanks

Soldato
I've now come to a point where I need to wear them all the time while looking at my PC screen and because I leave them on a lot longer I can now see flaws in them and I need to wipe them a lot.
I have always found reading glasses are useless for PC screen use due to a PC screen is normally set too far away

IE distance from my eyes to my screen now is about 70cm
Also I paid about £180 for a set of proper glasses for PC use only from spec savers and they were also useless...Maybe it just my eyes are crap at PC screen usage :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I had my PC glasses custom made - I measured the distance from my eyes to the screen 1.2m and went to optician and she checked my eye at that distance - can't fault them - My reading glasses are now so old I can't remember how old but they were a few quid from morrisons.
Unfortunately things have suddenly gone ass over tit and I have an appointment at Shrewsbury eye hospital to have them checked as I have a black hole right in center of my right eye - Typical it's my shooting eye.
Once this is sorted ( hopefully)I will be in for new reading glasses.

Man of Honour
Higher quality lenses are a thing, but with a straightforward low hyperopia prescription without any astigmatism used only for short-medium vision I don't think you'd get a great deal of value for the much higher cost. Also, cost need not have anything at all to do with the quality of the lenses. Glasses are generally sold as fashion items, even when they're essential for daily life, so you can easily pay vastly different prices for glasses with the same lenses based solely on how fashionable the frames are this week. You could easily pay £30 for glasses with exactly the same lenses as £1 glasses. Or even more. One time I got new glasses, I paid £10 for the frames because they were the previous season's fashion and the optician couldn't sell them any more. Other frames ranged from £40 to £110. Same lenses, but a £100 variation in price solely due to how fashionable the frames were. Those £10 frames were excellent quality. I used them all the time for well over a decade without any trouble.

As for wiping them frequently, in ~45 years I have never found lenses that don't need wiping frequently. I have decent quality lenses, the best I could get from a chain store opticians with no regard for cost (they cost me ~£300) and while they are flawless and precisely correct they still need wiping frequently.

There might be another factor that might be of more use to you - distance. I have two pairs of glasses because I have myopia and presbyopia (and severe astigmatism, but that's not relevant to this point). What is relevant to this point is that neither pair is ideal for PC use. My reading pair is ideal for very short range, i.e. the distance at which you'd hold a book. My general pair is ideal for short-medium to long range, i.e. what you'd use in most aspects of daily life. The distance to the monitor for my PC is in between the two. I can use either pair of glasses for it and both are adequate...but neither are ideal. If you're using glasses only at a specific distance, your best bet might be to discuss that with an optician and have lenses made specifically for that distance. You'll have to pay the cost of custom-made glasses rather than off the shelf reading glasses, but you should get a better experience from it and a simple prescription shouldn't be particularly expensive even at proper optician prices (and the lenses should be better quality than £1 reading glasses). Unless, of course, you want a £150 fashion frame to put the lenses in.

Man of Honour
OP
Let me explain better.
When I have my cheap £1 glasses on I can be wiping them every 15 minutes, they seem to collect dirt and perhaps my face heat also adds to the problem.
The only decent glasses I have are my Oakley sunglasses and I don't have to wipe them every 15 minutes.
I was just wondering if I paid for a better lens if that problem would go away!

Soldato
the cleaning aspect can be down to lack of coating on the lenses which reduce static, and usually reflections and make them a lot more scratch resistant.
eg https://www.hoyavision.com/uk/what-i-need/for-spectacle-wearers/choosing-coatings/#experiencetests
touch wood .. I'm amazed how many knocks my glasses have taken ...

I clean with soap maybe every 3 days .. usually rain/cooking projectiles.

This online company is probably where I'll go next time https://www.eyewearglasses.co.uk/choosing-lens-options
since they also sell th hoya lenses I currently have.

Soldato
Let me explain better.
When I have my cheap £1 glasses on I can be wiping them every 15 minutes, they seem to collect dirt and perhaps my face heat also adds to the problem.
The only decent glasses I have are my Oakley sunglasses and I don't have to wipe them every 15 minutes.

Possibly. It does sound like your issue is related to static especially with the cheap thin plastic you find with throwaway specs - wiping or rubbing with a dry cloth actually makes the problem worse as friction actually charges them with static so the problem is only more likely to occur. Damp wipes would discharge the static.

It doesn't seem to happen with "proper" specs presumably due to coatings and/or metal rims which conduct static away.

Man of Honour
Let me explain better.

Oh, that frequently. When you just said "frequently" with no point of reference and no comparison, I was thinking in terms of normal use of glasses. Not every 15 minutes.

And yes, a better lens shouldn't require cleaning every 15 minutes. As you've found yourself with your other glasses.

The coatings mentioned by jpaul and Blackjack Davy are sold at a vast markup(*), but they're still worth it.

* An optician I worked with told me that a coating they sell for £20 costs them 7p.

Associate
No quality to be found.
Starting with the young and unexperienced personell, wrong tests and multiple eye test just to have an unsuitable pair of eyeglasses in the end. Lenses aren't quality...they are the cheapest chinese around.
As a result "foggy vision" for every customer

Soldato
I have just binned my 20+ yr old reading glasses - they were disgusting and not only that you couldn't see through them - just like sexy, clean them and ten minutes later filthy.
I have just replaced them with a 99p pair from Home Bargains - not a bad buy.
Before anyone asks these are temp - I went to eye hospital yesterday and I have Macular degradation (Or something like that) and because my eye has a black spot in the middle I can't read with right eye and glasses for left eye are rubbish - so until the injections have been done I will wait and see if anything happens.
Typical isn't it - why couldn't it be my left eye as it's the weaker - also right eye is my master shooting eye so looks like that will be a no no in future. I didn't plan on giving it up just yet.
At the moment this is just affecting close up vision.

Man of Honour
OP
How weird you've bumped this because I'm still going through a nightmare getting decent glasses.
I had my eyes tested last week and I'm L +1.75 R +1.5 but I told the Optician they wouldn't work.
She then tried a card in front of my eyes about a metre away, put different lenses in and I could read the bottom line with +1.0 both sides.
Specsavers & Vision Express won't make glasses for you without a prescription.
I ended up buying a pair off Amazon with blue tints for £15 because I spend 15 hours a day in front of a monitor and they're OK.
I'm also sending for a £31 pair with all the stuff on the lenses (UV, computer etc) from Goggles 4U.

Soldato
Have to agree
Reading glasses aren't what you
Should use for pc
I measured how far from the screen my eyes/head was
And had glasses made specifically
For the pc
I also picked frames with very large
Lens openings or whatever
You call it
That way can see more of the screen
Without moving my head