Shenmue 3

Soldato
I backed this immediately when the kickstarter launched but thanks to the greedy **** head Tim Sweeney, I went ahead and got my refund. I loved Shenmue to bits but won't support egs.

Associate
Probably a stoopid question but would you need to have played the first two before this?

No, because there's a recap movie to bring you up to speed, but I'd recommend playing the first two games regardless! You can pick them up on Steam, they deserve to be played.

Soldato
Well I did get my backers key through but I can't even launch the game...the trial demo worked absolutely fine but now it's just a fatal error when I try to load the final release. Sadly doing a bit of searching I can't find the issue anywhere for Shenmue 3 :( It seems to be an UE4 Fatal Error and there are loads of fixes for other games but nothing seems to work.

I've been playing Jedi Fallen order which is UE4 and it runs absolutely fine.

*EDIT* So after updating the Motherboard Bios and AMD Chipset drivers it seems to be working now. I know there was a problem with some X570 boards (Which I'm now using) with RDR2, seems like it might be the same here. Heads up for anyone who might be having problems.

Last edited:
Associate
Probably a stoopid question but would you need to have played the first two before this?

Just to add to the previous reply, Shenmue 1 and 2 are also on Xbox game pass for PC. So you could play both for the £1 monthly offer. Both worth buying on Steam as well though as per the prior post which is where I own them.

Associate
I've played both games on the Dreamcast, the second game on the original Xbox, and the remasters on PC. Having said that, the sequel leaves much to be desired. The combat is grossly inferior, the English localization is plagued by errors and inconsistencies, and the voice actors for long-standing characters are abysmal! The game might be a love letter to the fans, but objectively speaking, it's FAR from perfect. I'd be more forgiving if the game wasn't the same price as a AAA title! The IGN review is more than fair tbh.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've played both games on the Dreamcast, the second game on the original Xbox, and the remasters on PC. Having said that, the sequel leaves much to be desired. The combat is grossly inferior, the English localization is plagued by errors and inconsistencies, and the voice actors for long-standing characters are abysmal! The game might be a love letter to the fans, but objectively speaking, it's FAR from perfect. I'd be more forgiving if the game wasn't the same price as a AAA title! The IGN review is more than fair tbh.
Sounds about right. And the devs want to milk it with a 4th and 5th before they conclude story I heard. They should have done a better job if they wanted to do that. Kind of lost my interest in Shenmue.

Associate
Sounds about right. And the devs want to milk it with a 4th and 5th before they conclude story I heard. They should have done a better job if they wanted to do that. Kind of lost my interest in Shenmue.

I still want to play it though, I just think it falls short of the originals.

Back
Top Bottom