Smearing / Ghosting on LG 32gk850g VA panel

Associate
Hi there!

I have been using this monitor for over a year now. I used to play a lot of FPS games but recently I played more of RTS.

I started playing FPS recently again and I was not able to aim properly. The moving images were out of focus. I also had some headaches.

This monitor is supposed to have great motion blur reduciton, but I don't know, maybe it got worse over time?

The least amount of ghosting / smearing is when I use 165 hz and "faster" response time.

Please find some below clips (sorry for quality). Should I RMA this monitor..?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14QiGZyL-qZzlScSRDhD_IPl916D9BodI

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zd2YppWU99Tb-5N_kf19PH56YMQPexPQ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ylqQxyf6JIOOS_JvhP0Gs3UZxaz_huY0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JW5DVBDFVIM7Xv2p7RoAIDuuCkA1FN8q

Soldato
It's a VA panel, it comes with the territory. VA has a harder time with darker pixel transitions compared to TN and IPS. Also if you want to show off the issue, don't use a recorder like bandicam as you are not actually showing the screen itself and it's issues. You need to use a phone with a good camera or a dedicated handheld cam.

Associate
I don't think this monitor is fast enough to drive 165hz. I would try 144hz or maybe even 120hz and see if the overdrive manages to keep the smearing at bay.

But yes, this is a VA thing. This particular monitor is probably among the better ones too when it comes to smearing, if not the best one. But being VA it still suffers from that.

If you want to have a laugh, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xLEBSJbsB4&feature=emb_title

This is happening because the overdrive is not compatible with Freesync on this unit when going below 120hz, and it gets particularly bad at 60hz. In order to "fix" it, you have to turn Freesync off altogether, so what you are seeing here is what happens when the overdrive isn't allowed to do it's thing and show the worst VA panels can do.

Soldato
It’s difficult to see anything with those videos.

I have the same monitor and have mine set to the fast setting at 165hz and for the vast majority of time it is fine for what I play. Even in extremely dark horror games, even in torture scenes it’s quite minor and not particularly bothersome. I have seen far worse va panels.

What the monitor does have though is great contrast over TN and in my opinion the slight ghosting/smear in torture scenes is by far worth it for normal gameplay and by far better than IPS glow and bleed.

I’ve tested other panels TN and IPS of the same refresh rate and they felt the same to me in terms of motion. Even my old IPS with lightboost which I wasn’t a big fan of.

Associate
I have the same monitor, so far i've been very impressed and its been equally as good as my old Asus 34 ulta wide and my Ips Acer 27 144 when it comes to motion blur and over the last few weeks i've been swapping them about to make sure it's not just in my head. The only thing i'll say is that because its a 32" screen its just more obvious than say a 27" or smaller. The problem with modern monitors is that everything is a trade off, you want super clear and fast response times then you'll have to put up with awful viewing angles and rubbish image quality , you want the best image quality ? then your going to get ips glow , backlight bleed terrible contrast and still a certain amount of motion blur , with a VA your always going to get a bit of black smearing but tbh at 144hz i don't notice it , i've not tried 165hz yet, but for me its better than glow , back light bleed and rubbish contrast which i find way more obvious.

All of these problems will vanish when Oled screens start coming in sensible sizes because 55" is not a monitor , its just a dressed up tv labelled as a gaming monitor, when this happens Tn , VA and ips will become a thing of the past.

Soldato
All of these problems will vanish when Oled screens start coming in sensible sizes because 55" is not a monitor , its just a dressed up tv labelled as a gaming monitor, when this happens Tn , VA and ips will become a thing of the past.

Only they won't because there will never be a £500 144Hz 27-32" OLED monitor... at least not while you're young enough to actually find it useful. Maybe in the old folks home, if you fancy a bit of PUBG while reminiscing about the good old days.

It's possible we might see smaller OLED monitors in a couple of years, if JOLED's plans work out, but they'll be destined for high-end monitors with eye-watering four-figure price tags, and they certainly won't be replacing LCD.

Associate
I thought OLED still suffered from terrible burn in.

It's fine for TVs because the image is always moving but for desktop use? Not sure.

Soldato
I thought OLED still suffered from terrible burn in.

It's fine for TVs because the image is always moving but for desktop use? Not sure.

It's somewhat blown out of proportion... "terrible burn-in" isn't accurate. It can happen with EXTENSIVE viewing of the same thing, for thousands of hours, using a monitor continuously for the same task, but in most cases it shouldn't be a problem, if care is taken. It certainly won't be an issue for casual gamers. The bigger risk is those who are in front of a screen all day, photo/video editing, DTP applications etc.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd risk it on a monitor costing thousands of pounds... unless there was a guarantee against it and/or it was covered by warranty. Personally, I am more interested in LG's 48" OLED due next year, which should hopefully come in under the £1K mark. That's cheaper than most high-end LCD monitors, and while that size is still not exactly ideal, I think I'd take the plunge if the LCD monitor market is still in the shameful state that it's in today.

Back
Top Bottom