Screenwash ratios

Soldato
Just bought a 5 litre bottle of concentrate from Halfords. Says 20% concentrate to 80% water is effective down to -1.5c, and 50% concentrate with 50% water down to -4c. What ratio are you guys using? I don't know how cold the weather is likely to get, but I'm thinking of trying maybe 35% concentrate to 65% water, probably be good to about -3c?

Soldato
Never really scientific, a few glugs of screenwash then fill it up with water. Job jobbed :)
If I feel the weather is going to be very cold, Ill add another glug for luck.

Soldato
Personally I hate that stuff. The best I’ve used is either VW or BMW brand screen wash. With a 50/50 mix it’s like spraying your window with de-icer, though when we get ice none stop I put it in at 80% de-icer and 20% water.

If you’re not sure just mix some up and leave it out over night or pour on the window in the morning and see if it helps clear up the ice.

Soldato
Personally I hate that stuff. The best I’ve used is either VW or BMW brand screen wash. With a 50/50 mix it’s like spraying your window with de-icer, though when we get ice none stop I put it in at 80% de-icer and 20% water.

If you’re not sure just mix some up and leave it out over night or pour on the window in the morning and see if it helps clear up the ice.
I should add, if you have a bmw you should stick with their product as others can and do block up the filters and it isn’t cheap to fix it.

Caporegime
Just bought a 5 litre bottle of concentrate from Halfords. Says 20% concentrate to 80% water is effective down to -1.5c, and 50% concentrate with 50% water down to -4c. What ratio are you guys using? I don't know how cold the weather is likely to get, but I'm thinking of trying maybe 35% concentrate to 65% water, probably be good to about -3c?

How much was the screenwash. If cheap just do 50/50. If Expensive then do 20/80 as 1.5C isn't a huge difference. However it was -8C here last night in Scotland.

Soldato
Are Halfords still being a bit sneaky with concentrate/premix?

If I remember, last year, they sold the Berry scented concentrate, rated to -10, in 5 litres bottles for about £5. But it's only rated to -10 if you use it neat.
Whereas they sell the premixed stuff, also rated to -10, in 5 litre bottles for £4.50.

Which suggests to me that its exactly the same product, but they charge 50p more for the concentrate. Are they hoping that most people just automatically assume that concentrate is better value because it can be diluted?

Soldato
I should add, if you have a bmw you should stick with their product as others can and do block up the filters and it isn’t cheap to fix it.

This. Sound advice.
Saving few pounds not worth here.

I've been running an e46 for nearly 5 years and have never put BMW screen wash in. I have used PIA as I have silicone wipers and that works well with them, but generally I just use cheapo concentrate and/or plain water in the summer.

I do like good clean windows though and go through loads of it.

Soldato
OP
How much was the screenwash. If cheap just do 50/50. If Expensive then do 20/80 as 1.5C isn't a huge difference. However it was -8C here last night in Scotland.

Yeah, only a fiver for a 5L bottle. I'll probably do 50/50 then.

Are Halfords still being a bit sneaky with concentrate/premix?

If I remember, last year, they sold the Berry scented concentrate, rated to -10, in 5 litres bottles for about £5. But it's only rated to -10 if you use it neat.
Whereas they sell the premixed stuff, also rated to -10, in 5 litre bottles for £4.50.

Which suggests to me that its exactly the same product, but they charge 50p more for the concentrate. Are they hoping that most people just automatically assume that concentrate is better value because it can be diluted?

Good point. Does that mean the ready to use stuff could also be diluted?

Associate
Bought some last year and just chucked it straight in. It was the most foul smelling screen wash I've ever experienced, I mean when I sprayed it onto my windscreen the smell would actually punch me in the face. Looked at the back of the bottle and it was good for something like -60 degrees. Ah okay that's why!

Soldato
I've been running an e46 for nearly 5 years and have never put BMW screen wash in. I have used PIA as I have silicone wipers and that works well with them, but generally I just use cheapo concentrate and/or plain water in the summer.

I do like good clean windows though and go through loads of it.
To be fair I think it’s more of a problem with newer cars. I don’t think it’s a problem with the bmw system but more of an issue with mixing bmw style screenwash with other types. If you run it dry or run water for ages I suspect you can swap to something else without a problem (that’s me guessing!) but tbh the bmw stuff you get in a 5L container is so good I just run it all year with varying ratios of water.

Back
Top Bottom