• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So you want to replace your gaming PC with Google Stadia.? You might want to think again...

Soldato
I don't know tho. The latency of good internet connection today can be as low as 2ms for return trip to your closest server and that is something you wouldn't notice really but what adds most of the latency (if you are very close to the server) is compression and then decompression of video stream.

For widespread adoption was my point, how many people have access to those types of connections, I'm in London and have a 500mb Virgin line but not many people do outside of the larger cities.

Caporegime
For widespread adoption was my point, how many people have access to those types of connections, I'm in London and have a 500mb Virgin line but not many people do outside of the larger cities.

The test in the video is on a 1000/1000 connection with 2ms latency to a similar server location so I don't see how it will ever be feasible, it may even get worse IF the service becomes more popular. At best it may be useable for some single-player titles if you're desperate to play on the move, I can't see it ever working for multiplayer titles that require as little delay as possible such as FPS titles.

Associate
This could end up being very costly for Google. No doubt they have stumped up large amounts of money for the hardware, with the hope that it will be paid back in the years to come through subscriptions.

Man of Honour
I don't think I've ever seen a thread with so much confirmation bias.

The fact that the lag was significantly reduced - it looked playable to me - when using the service with a mobile device is proof that the concept of the service isn't fundamentally flawed.

Yes, the lag is obviously concerning for anyone that wants to use this with their PC today, but unless you ignore the fact that the service is usable on other devices it proves nothing beyond there being a problem with the PC implementation currently.

Associate
OP
I don't think I've ever seen a thread with so much confirmation bias.

The fact that the lag was significantly reduced - it looked playable to me - when using the service with a mobile device is proof that the concept of the service isn't fundamentally flawed.

Yes, the lag is obviously concerning for anyone that wants to use this with their PC today, but unless you ignore the fact that the service is usable on other devices it proves nothing beyond there being a problem with the PC implementation currently.
I guess you have never used game streaming.? Latency is one thing but there are other factors breaking the experience in my opinion.
People here complain about Nvidia cards giving them worse colours than AMD but they should see what compression does to colours.
You completely lose colour fidelity and contrast and on top of that you loose plenty of texture details not to mention pixelation from compression.
Many times I tried playing streamed games and I could do it as a last resort but to enjoy it.? Not really.
Oh and I was trying to run 1080p streams at 50mbps and even that didn't help.
Again it might be "ok" to some casual gamers but not for me.
People here were very vocal about how good it will be and that it will support mouse and keyboard but that type of input method requires as low of an input lag as possible to make sense.

Soldato
As someone who has worked with Citrix and to an extent some VMware products for a long time. (Citrix are arguably one of the biggest innovators of this type of stuff. Virtual/Remote computing etc for those that don't know.) I did kind of get the feeling it wasn't going to be perfect... In essence you've basically got a really long cable from your controller to your virtual PC residing in a data centre somewhere so there will be more latency. Add to that the fact that you also have a really long cable coming back from your PC to your TV/monitor to get your screen output sent back to you too which then compounds your latency issues.

On a side note i get a lot of issues streaming my Xbox to my laptop if one or indeed both are wireless! The same can be said for Steam too. Although i will admit i'm just using standard internet router etc rather than anything dedicated or more powerful that I've gone out and bought but then most of the Stadia target audiences will be on standard equipment too.

At the end of the day some types of games will be more successful than others other this platform. Slower paced strategic stuff will probably be fine but fast paced competitive stuff, probably not. Well not until we all have perfect internet connections anyway.

Soldato
The question you have to ask is, will the service get better as time goes on?

The question you have to ask is "does the service deliver what it promises"? And then "am I happy to pay that price"?

If it's a gaming platform that is unplayable, then don't give Google money until they can actually do what they are selling you, because it may be the case that it can never be fixed, and that the network infrastructure (ie the network between you and the service) is not fully under Google's control and they can't do anything with it to improve performance.

There's no point paying for a service or product that can't deliver what it claims. Don't put your hopes on some nebulous future time when it will all be fixed, make the company put it's money where it's mouth is and deliver the product they are selling you before you stump up your hard earned money.

Last edited:
Associate
Ive saw a lot of people on the stadia discord saying its great now a lot of reviewers also didnt know you could select the quality of the stream.....

Or that you can lan the chrome cast ultra

Soldato
Its always laggy. Networking technology has not moved on since the last time game streaming services were tried and failed.

Data can only move so fast down a cable and the lag is always going to be there. It only takes a few 100 miles before you'll get noticable input lag.

Soldato
Google Falia.

This was always going to be a disaster, another beta product rushed out the door to hook in the rube/uninformed consumer.

Google and their cloud gaming BS can go swivel, they'll never get a penny of my money.

Back
Top Bottom