Settin up OS drive - single or raid? What do the Pros do?

Associate
Planning a new PC for my partner to use. Word docs work related. She can't lose her files but is hopeless at backing up. What do I do these days?

Do I use two SSD's (240GB would suffice) and raid? If one falls over I have a second copy?

Or do I use a single SSD drive and use drop box/google/outlook or similar to back up her desktop?

Thanks pod

Caporegime
Planning a new PC for my partner to use. Word docs work related. She can't lose her files but is hopeless at backing up. What do I do these days?

Do I use two SSD's (240GB would suffice) and raid? If one falls over I have a second copy?

Or do I use a single SSD drive and use drop box/google/outlook or similar to back up her desktop?

Thanks pod
Cloud based backup for work documents etc I’d have thought these days.

By all means though local backup as well, even if she forgets to do it the cloud you’d have set to automatic backup anyway.

Soldato
Does onedrive do file history backups? Say you mess something up and save a file by accident which is then automatically synced to the cloud, can you revert to a previous file revision?

Soldato
Does onedrive do file history backups? Say you mess something up and save a file by accident which is then automatically synced to the cloud, can you revert to a previous file revision?
Yes, I've never used it but apparently you can, I'm not sure how intertwined it is with Windows file history backup though.

Soldato

Yep, OneDrive does version history. The amount of people I recommend Office 365 to that baulk at the price but in my opinion it's worth it for the backup features alone.

Soldato
Yep, OneDrive does version history. The amount of people I recommend Office 365 to that baulk at the price but in my opinion it's worth it for the backup features alone.

Same, missus said you pay £6 a month!! but when I explained I get Office on all 3 devices and I can access the OneDrive from anywhere she actually agreed its great (especially because I can access all the recipes in the kitchen on my iPad, saves on dozens of cookery books).

I'm not familiar with media servers, but could that be an option too? So it's a down-sized computer with an OS and a large disk that you could remote into and schedule incremental back-ups to happen every day?

Edit: this thread might be better in one of the computer sub-sections.

Back
Top Bottom