Booking flights without ATOL protection

Hey all.
After much deliberation and browsing of Skyscanner I am in the position to book a flight to Tokyo. Skyscanner doesn't sell the flights themselves.

The cheapest I have found is £460 on Travelgenio by East China Airlines.
It would fly from London, stop in Shanghai for a few hours, then get a final flight to Tokyo. The flight back is similar, albeit different airports at either end (same city!).

Most of the flight selling websites do not have ATOL protection. Is paying by credit card the best thing I can do and leave it at that?

A friend recommends going to a Travel Agent, but surely they are a waste of space in 2019?

Soldato
Hey all.
After much deliberation and browsing of Skyscanner I am in the position to book a flight to Tokyo. Skyscanner doesn't sell the flights themselves.

The cheapest I have found is £460 on Travelgenio by East China Airlines.
It would fly from London, stop in Shanghai for a few hours, then get a final flight to Tokyo. The flight back is similar, albeit different airports at either end (same city!).

Most of the flight selling websites do not have ATOL protection. Is paying by credit card the best thing I can do and leave it at that?

A friend recommends going to a Travel Agent, but surely they are a waste of space in 2019?

How does the £460 compare with a booking made directly through the airline?

Soldato
I think you're right - none of the options are going to give you ATOL protection, because you only get that if you book your accommodation as well with the same people.

Associate
I booked flights only with Thomas Cook before they went under using a credit card with no ATOL protection. I was in Orlando when they stopped trading and I wont ever book without ATOL protection again. Luckily, the CAA did fly everyone home who had booked with them though but the risk is to great for me now.

Credit Card will still protect you, section 75 (over £100).

Associate
Credit card wont necessarily protect you if you are paying a third party for something provided by someone else. If they book on your behalf as opposed to selling you tickets directly then you have a grey area in terms of protection. Ask the credit card company before you make the purchase.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies so far!
I am looking at booking a flight only.
I wonder if it is worth buying through Expedia rather for £20 more than via a broker I have never heard of?

That still doesn't necessarily mean you will have ATOL protection if that's what you were after. If not, I'd always choose to pay a little extra from a more reputable place.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies so far!
I am looking at booking a flight only.
I wonder if it is worth buying through Expedia rather for £20 more than via a broker I have never heard of?

I will definitely be using a credit card.
Definitely worth going with Expedia and definitely a credit card. Not much more you can do to protect yourself.

Soldato
I have booked through these random online travel agents heaps of times. Never had an issue, and get the confirmation codes you can enter directly onto the carriers website to review your booking.
Book with a credit card and you’ll be fine.

Chinese airlines have a bit of a bad name as air traffic control shut airspace quite regularly so expect delays. Happened to my girlfriend who had a 25 hour delay on the way out from Heathrow but got £470 or so back!
It’s flights only so no cover from ATOL.

Back
Top Bottom