Peugeot 208 allure 1.4 petrol before buying advice

Soldato
Well I had an 08 plate Peugeot 308 1.6 vti with the BMW EP6 engine, the same one they put thein the mini, to say the least, it was a nightmare to start with, but once all the issues were sorted, she was a brilliant car, anyway it's just been written off after someone pulled out in front of me.

So now onto the subject, I'm looking at a fully loaded Peugeot 208 allure 62 plate, it says it has full service history, with 90k on the clock, it's 1.4 petrol, I don't know if it's the vti or not, if it is then I'd imagine it has the EP3 engine, is there anything I should look out for when going to look at it and test drive ?, Any known issues with these cars ?

I can get a 1.2 with only 30k on the clock for about the same price, in fact there's loads of them going very cheap with very low mileage which makes me suspicious, upon googling that particular model, 1.2, it seems they have quite a serious issue with the crackshaft float or something like that, it basically requires a new engine, and the 1.4 Devrs seem to have a history of eating clutches although derv is no good to me anyway as I don't do enough mileage to even get it warmed up each morning, the egr will be blocked in no time.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
OP
I like Peugeot's lol, they make the best derv engine going, trouble is, where petrol is concerned, they tend to slip up, I'm sure they were smoking something around the table with BMW the day they agreed to use the mini engine in their cars,Vive never in my life known a timing chain needing changing every 50k miles because of a £50 part, that was 2008 to 2010 though and I'm hoping they learned their lesson.

Soldato
OP
GF has a 208 Allure. She likes it, I hate it. Vague steering, wallowy suspension, no go and feels like you're sitting on top of it, rather than in it! Build quality is pretty shonky too.

Thanks, ive seen a 1.4 with FSH, 90K on the clock, he wants £2650 for it, but after a bit more studying, ive discovered it has an EP3 engine in it, thats the same as the EP6 prince, just the 1.4 variant, so thats a big NO NO, those engine are lovely when they work properly, but a big mistake, needed timing chains changing regular, so regular I learned how to do it myself, and even brought the cam locking tool for it, and the oil leak, WOW, well theres only 1 place they leak from, the hardest place in the world ever to get to, the oil filter housing, way down where it meets the engine, required you to remove the heat shield at the top, front and back of the exhaust, the exhaust manifold, lamba sensors, drain the oil and the coolant, and the exhaust at the bottom so you could drop it all down, just to get to 3 bolts holding the oil filter housing on, twice I had to do that job for a simple rubber seal.

Ive seen another one though, he want £2850 for it, 50K on the clock, has a 1.6 petrol Toyota engine in it, I may just go for that, but want to have a look first, its a 208 Feline, also fully loaded with a pan roof.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, ive seen a 1.4 with FSH, 90K on the clock, he wants £2650 for it, but after a bit more studying, ive discovered it has an EP3 engine in it, thats the same as the EP6 prince, just the 1.4 variant, so thats a big NO NO, those engine are lovely when they work properly, but a big mistake, needed timing chains changing regular, so regular I learned how to do it myself, and even brought the cam locking tool for it, and the oil leak, WOW, well theres only 1 place they leak from, the hardest place in the world ever to get to, the oil filter housing, way down where it meets the engine, required you to remove the heat shield at the top, front and back of the exhaust, the exhaust manifold, lamba sensors, drain the oil and the coolant, and the exhaust at the bottom so you could drop it all down, just to get to 3 bolts holding the oil filter housing on, twice I had to do that job for a simple rubber seal.

Ive seen another one though, he want £2850 for it, 50K on the clock, has a 1.6 petrol Toyota engine in it, I may just go for that, but want to have a look first, its a 208 Feline, also fully loaded with a pan roof.
Why don't you just go for a petrol Toyota instead? If I'd had such bad experiences as you seem to with a certain brand, I wouldn't be going back for more.

Man of Honour
This year I was gifted a Peugeot 206 for free. It cost me nothing. Completely free. After driving it a while I realised I've been ripped off :D So no way I'd consider paying for something like a 208 :)

Soldato
This year I was gifted a Peugeot 206 for free. It cost me nothing. Completely free. After driving it a while I realised I've been ripped off :D So no way I'd consider paying for something like a 208 :)
I had this with a Peugeot 205 a decade ago, they've definitely got better then :D

Back
Top Bottom