• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU Upgrade Time (Ryzen) - Gaming & Possible Streaming

Permabanned
Thanks. Further down in that same post on Reddit:

So it looks like the 3600 paired with decent RAM might be a decent shout to begin with. I can then take it from there :)

Thanks for your suggestions everyone :)

Sorry, I didn't know you have so serious problems with the financing of your purchase. I advise avoid Ryzen 5 3600. If you don't want to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, I didn't know you have so serious problems with the financing of your purchase. I advise avoid Ryzen 5 3600. If you don't want to upgrade sooner rather than later.

It's not really so bad, I just want to stick within a certain budget for now :)

Soldato
And say bye-bye to the streaming. I don't know why you continue to recommend CPUs which are obviously lacking enough threads, so streaming that requires threads will be an issue. :confused:

I don't know why you continue to attempt to help people by using your 'google brain' in matters you have no experience of. You own a laptop and have a PC from the 2000's which you probably didn't build. Those of us that are trying to help have knowledge, ownership thus 'real' experience of something you can only dream of 1: affording, 2: building. Stop googling any page off the 'tinternet' to make it come across as your own knowledge/experience.

Permabanned
It's not really so bad, I just want to stick within a certain budget for now :)

It is bad. People already report stuttering during gaming with six core CPUs. And you want to game and maybe stream.
I have always thought that the Ryzen 5 3600 is a hateful CPU, brought so high in the product stack by a dishonest and incompetent AMD which only pursues higher profits but completely ignores the problems of the gamers/users as a whole.

Soldato
OP
It is bad. People already report stuttering during gaming with six core CPUs. And you want to game and maybe stream.
I have always thought that the Ryzen 5 3600 is a hateful CPU, brought so high in the product stack by a dishonest and incompetent AMD which only pursues higher profits but completely ignores the problems of the gamers/users as a whole.

That's an interesting opinion to have. Reviewers with no affiliation with AMD rate the 3600 highly and are certainly happy with the performance. Even going so far as to suggest not getting the 3600X version because it's not worth it for the minimal differences.

Also, citing AMD and saying they only care about profits is laughable. They're a business and most do. Intel certainly don't care about the user. You only have to look at the recent hyperthreading security issues and how that was handled to see that.

Permabanned
That's an interesting opinion to have. Reviewers with no affiliation with AMD rate the 3600 highly and are certainly happy with the performance. Even going so far as to suggest not getting the 3600X version because it's not worth it for the minimal differences.

Also, citing AMD and saying they only care about profits is laughable. They're a business and most do. Intel certainly don't care about the user. You only have to look at the recent hyperthreading security issues and how that was handled to see that.

Look:

Here’s a quick frametime chart with F1 2018 at 1080p. Remember, lower is better, but more consistent is better than just being lower. Overall, the R5 3600 remains close to 4.3-5.0ms frame-to-frame intervals here. We typically don’t notice stutters unless there’s an excursion equal to or greater than 8-12ms, something that only happens once in this benchmark, and it happens on both the 9600K and 3600 at the same spot in the test. Overall, these two processors have similar frametime pacing and consistency, with the 9600K faster by 0.3ms on average.

Conclusion
For a video maker with a stricter budget, the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 is superior to its immediately price-matched competition from Intel, although you may be better served by purchasing an R7 2700 on steep sale and overclocking it. That’d land you at our overclocked 2700X result of 4.3 minutes for the 1080p Premiere render and would cost about $200 today, but that inventory will stop being made at some point, if not already. Even in the $200-$250 range, there’s no point in buying a 9600K if Premiere will be part of your regular activities, or any rendering software that can make use of more than six cores. We’ll be doing streaming benchmarks later as part of our ongoing Ryzen 3000 coverage, but for now we can at least say that the 3600 is the better choice for streamers that plan to edit and render footage.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3489-amd-ryzen-5-3600-cpu-review-benchmarks-vs-intel

And for some reason, they never did a streaming test on the Ryzen 5 3600.
Because it will fail.

Soldato
OP
Look:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3489-amd-ryzen-5-3600-cpu-review-benchmarks-vs-intel

And for some reason, they never did a streaming test on the Ryzen 5 3600.
Because it will fail.

That's for video editing and rendering though. Obviously the more cores the better for that purpose. But it doesn't say it's no good for that. In fact it states it's better than the same equivalents from Intel so I don't get what you're trying to say. Sure, there is a better option, but that is obvious anyway.

The article title also says "Strong recommendation" for the 3600. For someone trying to say it's poor, you sure are contradicting yourself with what you're posting up.

Permabanned
That's for video editing and rendering though. Obviously the more cores the better for that purpose. But it doesn't say it's no good for that. In fact it states it's better than the same equivalents from Intel so I don't get what you're trying to say. Sure, there is a better option, but that is obvious anyway.

The article title also says "Strong recommendation" for the 3600. For someone trying to say it's poor, you sure are contradicting yourself with what you're posting up.

Gamers Nexus have a streaming review with Ryzen 7 1700 against Core i7-8700K, which shows that sometimes the Ryzen 7 1700 gives more frames. https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...vs-ryzen-streaming-gaming-overclocking/page-4

The 10.7% is better than the 4.6% on the i7-8700K.

But still, that review :confused: It should have included Ryzen 7 1800X.

Streaming-0.png

It looks like that there is another truth and it's that a 6-core/6-thread intel CPU is actually faster than AMD's offers:

Streaming-1.png

Streaming-2.png

Streaming-3.png

Streaming-4.png

https://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-and-ryzen-9-3900x-cpu-review_212984/9

Associate

Stuttering on Six core cpu? You are referring to those CPU without SMT/HT. WTH?

Soldato
^^ That could be down to anything. I had my system stuttering last night. Because I updated the AMD chipset drivers (for 1usmus powerplan) yesterday and didn't reinstall the Gfx drivers post chipset installation.

If you want to take anything from what 4K8K posts, then it's how NOT to sound knowledgeable on a technical forum. The guy has no limits of self embarrassment.

Associate
You missed one of the comments . . .

"Just so everyone knows, you need to avoid the RTX line of cards. These cards are inherently flawed and I received information from upper management that they have no plans to fix these stuttering issues. They frequently blame the motherboards or CPU "bottlenecking" even though slower cards and faster cards have zero problems. They claim to not be able to "duplicate the problem" and therefore won't be fixing the drivers. But this is odd that so many people have the same issues across different motherboards"

I had a R5 1600 with a GTX 1060, though, never experienced any of that even in Battlefield. At stock!

TrM

TrM

Associate
My advice is different then most.

go for the best gaming experience you can and worry about streaming and other stuff after. If you only have a said budget that covers a 3600 and b450 mobo that’s what you sould get.

6 core cpu are becoming more and more common now but the majority of people in the billions of pc owners 4 core is still the most common by a long way even 4k8kw10 only rocks a quad core laptop cpu. And until atleast 6 cores become the dominant market share games will be made for 4 core upwards for games at 1080p gaming and will be for a very long time. You don’t need to worrie about maxing games out till u spend some serious bank on a gpu. And you gpu will need a major upgrade way before the 3600 will.

no for the steaming part of your post the 3600 will be able to offer that as well but like everything in life. The next up in amd lineup from ryzen 5 is ryzen 7 now that would do both better at the same time (but not just for pure gaming you will find little to no extra on your FPS ) but the thing is there are other way to stream though though capture cards second pc even a cheap ass laptop with HDMI in would be options also gcards can used also on you gpu upgrade can use relive amd or GeForce experience Nvidia :) so u have option for that also.

but my advice is buy the best you can for your gaming experience and then worrie about the extras after

Soldato
My advice is different then most.

go for the best gaming experience you can and worry about streaming and other stuff after. If you only have a said budget that covers a 3600 and b450 mobo that’s what you sould get.

6 core cpu are becoming more and more common now but the majority of people in the billions of pc owners 4 core is still the most common by a long way even 4k8kw10 only rocks a quad core laptop cpu. And until atleast 6 cores become the dominant market share games will be made for 4 core upwards for games at 1080p gaming and will be for a very long time. You don’t need to worrie about maxing games out till u spend some serious bank on a gpu. And you gpu will need a major upgrade way before the 3600 will.

no for the steaming part of your post the 3600 will be able to offer that as well but like everything in life. The next up in amd lineup from ryzen 5 is ryzen 7 now that would do both better at the same time (but not just for pure gaming you will find little to no extra on your FPS ) but the thing is there are other way to stream though though capture cards second pc even a cheap ass laptop with HDMI in would be options also gcards can used also on you gpu upgrade can use relive amd or GeForce experience Nvidia :) so u have option for that also.

but my advice is buy the best you can for your gaming experience and then worrie about the extras after

Good, sound advice :)

Soldato
If budget is such a concern it’s worth considering a 2700x. They can be had so cheaply now and are barely any different to the 3700x in benchmarks.

Soldato
OP
If budget is such a concern it’s worth considering a 2700x. They can be had so cheaply now and are barely any different to the 3700x in benchmarks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had considered this but my conclusion was that I'm just not sure buying architecture from almost two years ago is worthwhile. Saying that, the Black Friday prices may just sway me. I know the 2700X offers similar FPS performance when up against the 3600. I do wonder how much of an impact the extra two cores and four threads would have for other stuff. That could make the 2700X viable.

Back
Top Bottom