How do you make your perfect omelette and in what size pan?

Caporegime
I have always loved omelettes but in my ignorance have always cooked them in a rather crude way. Recently I woke up to French-style omelettes and was blown away by how different they were to what I had been cooking and have also seen everyone has their own methods. So, I want to ask you fellow OCUK'ers... how do you make your perfect omelette?

I want to know:
  1. What type/size pan you use (eg: non-stick, 8in/20cm)
  2. How many eggs (eg 3)
  3. Technique (description or link to how you do it)
Cheers,

Rich. :)

Soldato
Might check out some of these techniques.

I tend to get a jug, crack 3 eggs in with some grated cheese and mix with a fork, melt butter in a pan and then pour the mixture into the pan. Then once partly cooked i'll throw in my other ingredients onto one half and then fold over.

That used to be it, but i now tend to follow my wifes tactic, which is to add the ingredients all over and then finish under a grill. Results in a different texture as it's a little more Spanish omelette but i like it.

Soldato
I chop a handful of button mushrooms and saute them in a little butter for a minute or two in my frying pan which I think is 11". I remove them, whisk up 3 large eggs with some salt, pepper and a bit of milk and add to the pan. I gently push in the edges of the omelette to allow remaining liquid egg to get underneath and cook.

Once it's mostly set, I add the mushrooms back in to one side of the omelette, and then grated cheese. I'll then fold it once or twice and slide it onto a plate.

20190131-143625.jpg

Soldato
I prefer mine well cooked, like a Spanish omelette.

That's how I prefer mine too.
I fry off some onions, beat the eggs, add salt, pepper, Tabasco sauce, break up some chilli cheese and mix it in. Transfer the mix to the well done onions, add more grated cheese to the top cook for a bit then finish off under the grill. I like scrambled eggs a bit wet but not really omelette or some reason.

Soldato
I use a small pan and only 2 eggs (no milk as you're not wanting scrambled eggs), cook on 1 side agitating the mixture with the back of a fork until most of the mixture is solidified and then sprinkle cheese onto it, flip it over so the other side cooks (and the cheese melts into the mixture) and then serve it.

My Mrs goes mad for them but no matter how many times I've tried to show her she still cocks it up and ends up with a few pieces instead of a round omelette.

Associate
There's an extra ingredient to a good omelette that almost all professional and celebrity cooks miss out on, very few include it in the recipe, yet it makes a massive difference to quality and texture for almost any kind of omelette.

Simply add two or three tablespoons of plain old tap water to the whisked egg mix, then mix it some more. The water gives a wonderful, more aerated, fluffy texture.

A lot of these 'professional' cooks are mashing around with forks or spatulas while cooking it - not needed.

To that end, here's how I consider to make a good, thin omelette.

2 -3 eggs whisked in a tall drinking glass (bowl usually always spills, easier to pour evenly from a glass and to find any rogue egg shell)

Add black pepper to preference - whisk again. I just use a plain old table fork for whisking.

Add 2- 3 tablespoons of water - whisk more.

Heat thin layer or oil or butter in a large flat pan, 10" or 12" or as big as you have to hand.

Pour recently whisked mixture over the pan letting it evenly lay.

Let it sit on a low heat, don't touch it at all unless to angle pan to even the egg mix.

You'll notice the bottom cook, when the top is still liquid add any toppings - rubbery Dutch or Norwegian cheese like Emmental or Jarlsberg is best.

Just tear a couple of slices up and chuck that on there - you can add ham too or anything else, cooked mushrooms or onions (cooking mushrooms or onions within the omelette usually discolours the egg or affects its structure; adding it later like this is better.)

Then take off the hob immediately and put under the grill. Observe and don't let it brown.

When done either fold over once or roll it up to look like a crepe, then serve.

I promise you, it's better, easier and quicker than what that woman cooked in the Mythbusters video.

Caporegime
OP
There's an extra ingredient to a good omelette that almost all professional and celebrity cooks miss out on, very few include it in the recipe, yet it makes a massive difference to quality and texture for almost any kind of omelette.

Simply add two or three tablespoons of plain old tap water to the whisked egg mix, then mix it some more. The water gives a wonderful, more aerated, fluffy texture.

Yeah, about the water I saw that the other day in this video on how to make the "perfect" French Omelette:

I can't wait to try it the moment I get and season my carbon steel pans. :)

Back
Top Bottom