• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***** HAIL THE KING: AMD GEN3 THREAD RIPPER!!! *****

Soldato
Yup, I'll stick to my 1950x @ 4GHz all core, 1.3v. A more reasonable 180w tdp, 16 cores which is all I could need for a more reasonable £700. Plus HEDT lanes. Where's my upgrade path?

LOL serious? if you dont need more than 16 cores and are happy with what you have why are you here moaning about their new products? i understand your angle is "im a 1st gen Threadripper owner, wheres my upgrade" well im a 1st gen and 3rd gen Ryzen Owner, i forked out for a new motherboard both times, you want to move with the times, you need to pay the price.

Oh and Intel will force you to change motherboards pretty much every upgrade as well, so umm your argument is kinda invalid. And the comment about gaming, yes, 16 cores is overkill for gaming at the moment, these parts are not aimed at gamers, gaming is just an option you have with these and anyone buying one solely for gaming is doing it wrong.

you clearly bought a HEDT Chip so i assume you use it for HEDT purposes, now imagine what people buying these Gen3 Threadrippers are buying them for? i imagine all sorts of projects that require a lot of CPU power or the extra memory bandwidth etc.

Associate
2950X, 2970WX, 2990WX.
No they aren't, they were 1st Gen refreshes apart from the 32 core which was... you guessed it... overpriced compared to the value of the 16 core 1950x vs. the desktop at the time. At least they fit in existing x399 boards though, I'll give you that.

LOL serious? if you dont need more than 16 cores and are happy with what you have why are you here moaning about their new products?
I told you why, I don't have an upgrade path that is as viable as TR 1st gen power to performance vs desktop.

i understand your angle is "im a 1st gen Threadripper owner, wheres my upgrade" well im a 1st gen and 3rd gen Ryzen Owner, i forked out for a new motherboard both times, you want to move with the times, you need to pay the price.
You didn't seem to understand, judging by your first sentence. If moving with the times means forking out £2500 for chipset and CPU then I'd prefer to stay in the dark ages of £1100 for 16 cores, 4ghz @ 1.3v top CPU of the generation and top chipset.

Oh, and Intel will force you to change motherboards pretty much every upgrade as well, so umm your argument is kinda invalid.
Not really, because the TR2 chips were mostly a refresh to my mind unless you wanted to splash the cash on 32 cores, and now this "proper" new TR gen, still only 32 cores, requires a new chipset whereas Ryzen desktop owners don't.

And the comment about gaming, yes, 16 cores is overkill for gaming at the moment, these parts are not aimed at gamers, gaming is just an option you have with these and anyone buying one solely for gaming is doing it wrong.

you clearly bought a HEDT Chip so i assume you use it for HEDT purposes, now imagine what people buying these Gen3 Threadrippers are buying them for? i imagine all sorts of projects that require a lot of CPU power or the extra memory bandwidth etc.
Apart from the fact that my motherboard is named "x399 Professional Gaming". I paid 700 for a 16 core HEDT chip with those lovely extra pcie lanes and quad channel memory support 2 years ago. Recently AMD has released a 16 core Ryzen desktop chip that is not far off what I paid for my TR1 chip. This new Ryzen has the same core count, but obviously less pcie lanes and only dual channel memory support. Can you see where I'm going with this? An amazing new 16 core desktop processor became available to buy for the same as what I paid 2 years ago and it's only advantage is increased IPC. The Boards for the Ryzen desktop parts cost more now than what I paid for top HEDT.

According to you, moving with the times means paying more for less and simply giving in and accepting it.

And you lol at me?

Away with you.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No they aren't, they were 1st Gen refreshes apart from the 32 core which was... you guessed it... overpriced compared to the value of the 16 core 1950x vs. the desktop at the time. At least they fit in existing x399 boards though, I'll give you that.

I told you why, I don't have an upgrade path that is as viable as TR 1st gen power to performance vs desktop.

You didn't seem to understand, judging by your first sentence. If moving with the times means forking out £2500 for chipset and CPU then I'd prefer to stay in the dark ages of £1100 for 16 cores, 4ghz @ 1.3v top CPU of the generation and top chipset.

Not really, because the TR2 chips were mostly a refresh to my mind unless you wanted to splash the cash on 32 cores, and now this "proper" new TR gen, still only 32 cores, requires a new chipset whereas Ryzen desktop owners don't.

Apart from the fact that my motherboard is named "x399 Professional Gaming". I paid 700 for a 16 core HEDT chip with those lovely extra pcie lanes and quad channel memory support 2 years ago. Recently AMD has released a 16 core Ryzen desktop chip that is not far off what I paid for my TR1 chip. This new Ryzen has the same core count, but obviously less pcie lanes and only dual channel memory support. Can you see where I'm going with this? An amazing new 16 core desktop processor became available to buy for the same as what I paid 2 years ago and it's only advantage is increased IPC. The Boards for the Ryzen desktop parts cost more now than what I paid for top HEDT.

According to you, moving with the times means paying more for less and simply giving in and accepting it.

And you lol at me?

Away with you.

So I'm on the same chip only I paid £999.99 for mine on release day. Still trying to work out what your problem is... Nobody ever said there would be x generations on x399, there was never a promise. At the end of the day the 3rd gen TR absolutely blows away 1950x @ 4/4.1 without even trying, core counts contrary to what you are saying have increased. 1st gen 8 core low end, 2nd gen 16, 3rd gen 24 so that argument doesn't seem to work either. Basically what you want is the best of the best for no money just because AMD? You best be getting used to these new prices because for the performance on offer they are outstanding 1st gen owner or not. Put simply and going back to the title, the new king is here and you gonna have to put your hand into your deep pockets should you want to leverage the power that the new king has to offer.

You are just angry that you can't slot a 3rd gen in. :(

Soldato
I must confess real surprise at the high prices of the motherboards. They're twice the price of Intel x299 motherboards. Are these just rebadged Epyc motherboards?

Soldato

And you lol at me?

Away with you.

So your argument is basically, your upset that you have to fork out money to get an upgrade??? uhhh ok....

As pointed out, TR2 is a drop in upgrade for you, but guess what?? its not free.

And also guess what? Technology improves over time! WOW who woulda thought it? i actually surprised you are arguing that your £1k TR chip has been surpassed by a cheaper mainstream desktop chip a few years later....

Just feel glad you didnt fork out £1.7k on an Intel HEDT chip to have it smashed by a £400 desktop chip the following year.

Whats actually more hilarious is you have forked out so much cash on a HEDT machine, and then used gaming as an argument, prices and evolution as backup arguments...

Sounds to me like your a bit bitter that AMD has had a quickfire succession of chips rendering your expensive Gen1 chip obsolete, i have sympathy for you, as i wouldnt splurge that level of cash on HEDT, mainly because i have zero use for HEDT, but dont stand here with buyers remorse, it is what it is, time moves on, tech moves on, everyone with half a brain new AMD moving from 14nm to 12nm to 7nm was going to basically see a core count increase and performance increase.

Fact of the matter is, you bought into HEDT, its not cheap, dont whine with decisions YOU made, no one here forced you to buy into it, and dont whine that technology moves on either.

Associate
So I'm on the same chip only I paid £999.99 for mine on release day. Still trying to work out what your problem is... Nobody ever said there would be x generations on x399, there was never a promise. At the end of the day the 3rd gen TR absolutely blows away 1950x @ 4/4.1 without even trying
It is trying plenty hard though, judging by the TDP and lack of lower core options.

core counts contrary to what you are saying have increased. 1st gen 8 core low end, 2nd gen 16, 3rd gen 24 so that argument doesn't seem to work either.
Nah, it went 16 > 32 + refresh overpriced > 32 new architecture and overpriced board req. Never mind the low end options, the low end options are apparently "ancient"and dead anyway.

Basically what you want is the best of the best for no money just because AMD? You best be getting used to these new prices because for the performance on offer they are outstanding 1st gen owner or not. Put simply and going back to the title, the new king is here and you gonna have to put your hand into your deep pockets should you want to leverage the power that the new king has to offer.

You are just angry that you can't slot a 3rd gen in. :(
Not angry, just perplexed that people can't see what the issue is.

Associate
So your argument is basically, your upset that you have to fork out money to get an upgrade??? uhhh ok....

As pointed out, TR2 is a drop in upgrade for you, but guess what?? its not free.

And also guess what? Technology improves over time! WOW who woulda thought it? i actually surprised you are arguing that your £1k TR chip has been surpassed by a cheaper mainstream desktop chip a few years later....

Just feel glad you didnt fork out £1.7k on an Intel HEDT chip to have it smashed by a £400 desktop chip the following year.

Whats actually more hilarious is you have forked out so much cash on a HEDT machine, and then used gaming as an argument, prices and evolution as backup arguments...

Sounds to me like your a bit bitter that AMD has had a quickfire succession of chips rendering your expensive Gen1 chip obsolete, i have sympathy for you, as i wouldnt splurge that level of cash on HEDT, mainly because i have zero use for HEDT, but dont stand here with buyers remorse, it is what it is, time moves on, tech moves on, everyone with half a brain new AMD moving from 14nm to 12nm to 7nm was going to basically see a core count increase and performance increase.

Fact of the matter is, you bought into HEDT, its not cheap, dont whine with decisions YOU made, no one here forced you to buy into it, and dont whine that technology moves on either.
So we're paying more for incremental IPC increases plus R&D, and the more efficient nm process don't count for a damn. Sounds like Intel's business model to me, and I won't be swallowing it.

Man of Honour
It is trying plenty hard though, judging by the TDP and lack of lower core options.

400 watt total draw with a 2080ti? How can you class this as "massive power draw"? literally I bet money that an overclocked 9900 pulls more at the wall for pretty much 1/4th of the threads.

Nah, it went 16 > 32 + refresh overpriced > 32 new architecture and overpriced board req. Never mind the low end options, the low end options are apparently "ancient"and dead anyway.

You can't just ignore half the stack so that it fits with your narrative. That's like me saying "well the standard Porsche 911 c2 is irreverent because the turbo exists" - Doesn't work right? The c2 is an absolute animal in its own right.

Not angry, just perplexed that people can't see what the issue is.

I see what you are saying its a frustration, I get that, you cant ignore the forward strides though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So we're paying more for incremental IPC increases plus R&D, and the more efficient nm process don't count for a damn. Sounds like Intel's business model to me, and I won't be swallowing it.

Incremental? you've sen the graphs right? entry level 3rd gen is over twice as fast as top end 1st gen in many workloads. Find me when that last happened!! Clue it was over 15 years ago.

Also this is very much the opposite of Intels business model of 5% incremental upgrades from the same architecture. I mean before no IO die, now IO die... none of this incremental stuff its a proper new chip with a new design and what im hearing Milan is similar if not "more new" than TR3 is.

Soldato
I must confess real surprise at the high prices of the motherboards. They're twice the price of Intel x299 motherboards. Are these just rebadged Epyc motherboards?

PCIe 4.0 costs ... though seems they've got development/manufacturing costs down from x570 ... TRX40 Xtreme is £100 more then X570 Xtreme whilst having triple the PCIe lanes etc . Wouldn't be surprised if we see B550 prices kept low from TRX40 development and then X570 Version 1.1/2.0 coming out lowering prices of current Boards

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

TDP too high. Reviewers note >400w at the wall.

Erm, no. Stock they pull 280w, only 30w more than prev gen 24 and 32 core parts. OC'd they pull a shade north of 400w, which is less than the 500w+ the prev gen pulled. So 3rd gen are more efficient than 2nd gen.

New chipset required and they cost too much.

When you look at the perf and benefits, I think it's justified.

Price too high for the CPUs and there is no increase in core count over the previous gen, which was better value.

100 quid on last years CPUs? Accounting for inflation and the extra performance, again, I think it's worth it.

When the 64 core is finally released it will be ridiculously priced and have ridiculous power consumption.

Can't afford it, don't but it. If you use these systems for work, the 3990x would easily see a return on the investment in a matter of weeks. As for power draw, it's supposed to be a 280w part - so again, more power efficient than the prev gen.

Finally: 16 cores is already overkill for gaming and I don't see a 16 core option here. Even if it were, it would be a poorer binned part.

Why would you only want 16 cores on a HEDT platform in 2019? The 16 core option is the 3950x on the mainstream x570 platform. HEDT is all about 24 cores or greater.

Where's my upgrade path?

You can buy my 2950x when my 3960x arrives :D:D:D:D:D:D Seriously though, they will still be selling the 2950x, 2970wx and 2990wx cpus so you can upgrade to those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Permabanned
TDP too high. Reviewers note >400w at the wall.

New chipset required and they cost too much.

Price too high for the CPUs and there is no increase in core count over the previous gen, which was better value.

When the 64 core is finally released it will be ridiculously priced and have ridiculous power consumption.

Finally: 16 cores is already overkill for gaming and I don't see a 16 core option here. Even if it were, it would be a poorer binned part.
Wait Do I read it correct ?? You gotten Thread ripper FOR GAMING ??
Now thats what i would consider stupid move. Not ike games will use 16 cores in next few years... They can barely make use of 8 and thats Minority...

If its a gaming rigHEDT is not aimed for You but for professionals that make money using them platforms. And for them Threadripper IS CHEAP... My Mate that works in gaming industry as graphic is upgrading 16 core TR to 32 when they get on market. Said its a GOOD DEAL for him... He started off years ago with x99 and 8 core intel and that got upgraded to 16 core TR.
Just to example. Some projects he gets around 2000 quid for.... And thats hes side thing bedsides main job....

TL:TR You are not target audience of this platform.

Soldato
Hmm... sellers like OCUK have a clear window of opportunity here. The big players - HP, Dell, and Lenovo - don't seem to have Threadripper solutions for sale.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Wait Do I read it correct ?? You gotten Thread ripper FOR GAMING ??
Now thats what i would consider stupid move.

The amusing thing is that the 3rd gen Threadrippers now absolutely make sense for gaming now as long as your other workloads justify the cost.

Not that I've ever once been disappointed by my 2950x gaming performance - the difference this time round is that I can choose 24 or 32 cores without any penalty (which wasn't the case with the 2970wx/2990wx and is why I chose the 2950x).

Permabanned
The amusing thing is that the 3rd gen Threadrippers now absolutely make sense for gaming now as long as your other workloads justify the cost.

Not that I've ever once been disappointed by my 2950x gaming performance - the difference this time round is that I can choose 24 or 32 cores without any penalty (which wasn't the case with the 2970wx/2990wx and is why I chose the 2950x).
Ye but seems he gotten it as GAMING platform not Work + Gaming.
I gotta be honest and if i was to buy a rig id buy 9900ks one. As I do Gaming + some video stuff that i get no money from and my video editing software cant even make use from more than 8 cores anyway. So Intel would be faster as it loves clockspeed.
As Long as You make money from using the platform I see this as an fantastic good product. Thats why My will upgrade hes TR1 build. Ge makes money on it and games.

Back
Top Bottom