New phone for Dad - suggestions

Soldato
Hi

Dad's screen is cracked on his S8 and now it seems the GPS has stopped working.

Been out of touch with latest phones so checking in here for advice please.

Budget is £300-£400 for a reasonably decent phone. Doesn't have to be flagship.

Pixel 3a is going to be £330 on Black Friday.

Anyone got any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Associate
What does he want out of it? battery life, gaming, camera, size, weight, screen etc.

I have been looking at the following

mi 9 (300quid today on mi store with voucher, so tempting) , Realme X2 Pro. Mi 9T Pro looks good also.

What I really want though is an S10 but as my S8 plus cracked screen really easy and Samsung did not replace FoC, or for a reasonable amount, I am not tempted to pay their prices, as the price of these Chinese phones is the price of a screen replacement from Samsung.

Soldato
OP
Sorry should have clarified haha.

He won't be playing any games. Will be simply for Waze (navigation), few pics (nothing special), banking apps, WhatsApp, decent battery life would be great and something not huge (around Pixel 3a size / S8 size is ideal).

Can get another S8 brand new for about £375 but Pixel 3a is newer model phone and presumably has some advantages over an "old" but new S8

Associate
A Pixel 3a runs a much slower CPU and GPU, its only saving grace is that they haven't bloated the OS but even so an S8 with SD835 or exynos processor would be a better performant phone, that said I have an S8+ and when I use anything with a next generation chip like my missus Pocofone (SD845) my S8 feels broken :( :D

Theses phones I mention above run the SD855 and so have really good performance but are not perfect in all areas as clearly corners are cut to get price down.

Soldato
I guess the S8 will be even older really soon. S9 might still be too pricy for budget.

Might be worth looking at A40 or A50 models. A40 is quite nice and small and can be found for under 200. Would at least keep him with Samsung and be more familiar.

Soldato
Samsung S10e - £361 on O2 refresh. Involves a credit check and a small amount of footwork - check out hotukdeals for the thread.

Soldato
OP
Yeah? I looked on Samsung site and S10 was too much money, but didn't realise the S10e was that good

May have to take another look then!

I didn't check O2 to be fair, checked Samsung site to buy outright. Dad currently just has a SIM only plan. So will have to see whats what.

Cheers!

EDIT: Out of stock apparently at O2

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry - I'm sure it was in stock when I posted. They might get more in soon. O2 Refresh also had an iPhone XR for £329 and a P30 Pro for £256, both excellent phones and also both currently out of stock. It might be worth keeping an eye on the situation.

Soldato
OP
Sorry - I'm sure it was in stock when I posted. They might get more in soon. O2 Refresh also had an iPhone XR for £329 and a P30 Pro for £256, both excellent phones and also both currently out of stock. It might be worth keeping an eye on the situation.
Cheers will keep an eye out! He wants to stick with Android but P30 Pro is good shout.

Will keep an eye on stock

Associate
You could have had the Realme X2 Pro which is like a version of the 7T for that price..are you sure you did not pick up a 7t, 6T is last gen?

I picked up the Mi9 I mentioned above which is a bit cheaper, but it is very good indeed, tempted for myself, though a bit low on the memory side but it is for my daughter not me and she stream everything. I will wait for some cheaper 5G phones to drop in a couple of months before I jump.

Soldato
The 6T at £399 is about the expect price for last year’s model imo, especially since the 7T was such a large jump over it.

The S10e is now £335 in Argos...

Back
Top Bottom