• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 6600K or wait?

Associate
Whack in a cheap 6700K or 7700K, to tide you over. Will be interesting to see what Intel have to offer in Q1 '20

I would (and I did) go down this route. I had a 6660k from May 2016 until October 2018 when I got a 7700k from the members market for £150. You should get a few more years out of either OP. But it's down to you really to consist of you want to spend more.

Edit: just seen the above post - decision made!

G J

G J

Associate
You made the best choice as now you have an upgrade path to Ryzen 4xxx next year without a motherboard change.

Soldato
Hey all,

I'll try to keep this quick, I'm currently running an i5 6600k OCd to 4.5 along with a RTX2080.

My pc is used for gaming mostly, along with some web browsing etc.
I game at 1440p and prefer to have everything on the highest settings for each game.

Up until the last few months that has been no problem at all, but in games such as Gears 5, The Outer Worlds and recently Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order I have been having issues. The games generally run at 60fps but I get stuttering here and there along with a spike to 100% CPU usage.

It's not a deal breaker but it's starting to annoy me a bit. I've been reading that 4 core CPUs are starting to struggle in modern games so I've been looking at possible upgrade paths.

I'm thinking that I should wait for the next gen of Intel's in the first half of next year? But with the black Friday sales maybe it's a good time to upgrade now?

Budget isn't a massive concern. The AMD 3950 is beyond my price range, but I could push the boat out and get something like the i9 9900k or even KS if it was a truly great upgrade which will last me 5 years or more.

Any help would be great.

Cheers!

Bargain.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...games-only-314-99-with-voucher-code.18871682/

Permabanned
I'm actually starting to wonder whether I should have gone for that 3800x over the 3600.

Buy these and you'll forget about stupid upgrading in the next 7-8 years and possibly more :mad:
There are many disadvantages in upgrading every year as you intent - like the uncertainty that your entry level B450 board may not properly support the upgrade, possible need to install Windows again, all the wasted time to sell the old parts and buy the new, all the wasted time to disassemble and reassemble.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £705.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lol at the above. Just saw his sig too. Haha. He has confirmed he is a noob if it takes him a long time to change one cpu to another.

Guy spends hours on here every day recommending people the wrong stuff and posting fake news from wccftech and then talks about saving time doing a simple CPU swap over. I guess the time saved can be put towards talking more rubbish on here eh? Hahaha.

Soldato
Lol at the above. Just saw his sig too. Haha. He has confirmed he is a noob if it takes him a long time to change one cpu to another.

Guy spends hours on here every day recommending people the wrong stuff and posting fake news from wccftech and then talks about saving time doing a simple CPU swap over. I guess the time saved can be put towards talking more rubbish on here eh? Hahaha.
Be glad you made the 'Troll Honour Roll", this is the same as getting a "Man of the Year" from the forums! :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I am wondering if 4K8KW10 is actually Ryan Shrout posting on the forums?

OP, good choice. Nice upgrade with the option to slot Ryzen 4000 in next summer.
Lol :D

I wonder what goes through his brain when he sees everyone disagreeing with him. My guess is he thinks we are all idiots and he is clever and is able to see things we cannot. What he does not get is “If everyone around you is so dumb you can barely handle it, the problem is likely you”. He won’t have this though and carries on banging on the same drum.

Soldato
Lol :D

I wonder what goes through his brain when he sees everyone disagreeing with him. My guess is he thinks we are all idiots and he is clever and is able to see things we cannot. What he does not get is “If everyone around you is so dumb you can barely handle it, the problem is likely you”. He won’t have this though and carries on banging on the same drum.

I'm on there too! Even made it his sig. Proper LOL. The guy owns a laptop and frequents PC building forums advising folk what to do using the 'google brain'.

I've come across some spacktards before, but this one has the force. Just keeps on giving too!

Last edited:
Associate

I am going to do this, what PSU would I need, I currently have a 550w Gold, would that be enough?

System currently has i5 6600k
Nvidia GTX 1070
2 x ssd
1 x hdd
4 x 4gb ram

Soldato
Associate
I think I answered the question myself regarding the B450 vs the x570, looks like little benefit for my setup so might as well save the difference there. Should have google'd harder before asking ;)

Back
Top Bottom