US Car Rental (One Way)

Man of Honour
Hello - looking at doing a road trip. Pick up in one place and drop off in another.

General advice seems to be that this is a terrible idea. However, prices don’t seem too bad from an initial browse. You pay a few hundred pounds premium max but that’s all. I’d much rather pay for the freedom than be saddled with the faff of returning.

So, I’m a little confused with the ‘hoo hah’ - am I missing something?

Looking at Austin Texas to Chicago at the moment, with a few stops, for what it’s worth. Cheers!

Caporegime
Nah, there really isn't a big deal 9/10. You typically have a small additional fee and that is it. Only occasional one-way trips they want people to avoid because they end up with a load of cars where they don't want them, but any kind of inter-city trip is fine. Check the price difference..

However, Austin to Chicago I would fly.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks both!

I want to go to a theme park in Ohio ( :o ) hence my rather unusual choice of starting / end points. I also find the aspect of bumbling through some of the less travelled parts rather appealing, although I won’t be single which is a bummer as an English accent seems to give you +5 points with the more well travelled types alone :p

Associate
I've done one way hire twice now - Vegas to LA and Washington to Boston. Both times booked through rentalcars.co.uk. Last time they tried to push the easytoll system but worked out miles cheaper to just pay as i went.

Associate
I did this a few years back used Alamo. Ford Focus from Las Vegas and returned 10 days later in San Fran. Cost under £300.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Thanks all.

One thing I found a little weird when using Rental Cars (an comparison agency) was that it would give me car options from companies that weren’t available if I put in the same information on the primary website (such as Alamo). I mean, they can’t lie I guess but it does make me a little nervous! Should I be concerned? I guess the worst that happens is that they make it up to us when we arrive.

Quite fancy a mustang for the lols :)

Soldato
Have done this a few times, no problems. I think the only time I couldn't was Canada into the US. I think that added almost $1,000 if I remember correctly (Which I might not be...)

Commissario
Did it in September, LA to Sacramento with a Mustang, Sacramento to Seattle with an SUV.
Used Avis for both rentals, they were brilliant.

Man of Honour
OP
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Can only seem to get the convertible option through Booking.com or Rentalcars so I’m extremely suspicious!

Thanks all.

One thing I found a little weird when using Rental Cars (an comparison agency) was that it would give me car options from companies that weren’t available if I put in the same information on the primary website (such as Alamo). I mean, they can’t lie I guess but it does make me a little nervous! Should I be concerned? I guess the worst that happens is that they make it up to us when we arrive.

Quite fancy a mustang for the lols :)

Caporegime
you are rarely guaranteed a specific car, only a car category or a car of higher value/category.

I ended up with a huge SUV once when i only wanted a compact but they were out of everything.

I would be very cautious booking a convertible over a 3rd party.

Soldato
To OP: Consider the fuel consumption of the vehicles that you’re interested in renting as a gas-guzzler could really eat into your spending money over the 1,200 plus mile trip you’ve got planned.

Soldato
To OP: Consider the fuel consumption of the vehicles that you’re interested in renting as a gas-guzzler could really eat into your spending money over the 1,200 plus mile trip you’ve got planned.

Shouldn’t make that much difference in the grand scheme of things. I can fill my Range Rover for about $50-60 in most states which will get me 350-400 miles range, and that’s almost guaranteed to be less economical than anything he’ll be renting. If you’re going to spend all the money flying there, booking hotels etc, a few extra dollars on fuel shouldn’t be a big deal.

Soldato
Done a similar trip to what you are planning, did Austin to Chicago via New Orleans. One way car rental. We found that it was cheaper when you picked a "generic" car that the vendor would have plenty of stock at each destination. A mustang was out of the question for us (but surprisingly cheap if you returned it to the original place of rental).

Was a great trip. Made a point of stopping at little towns/places along the way and some of our best days/nights were at these places. Personally I found Chicago disappointing, but that's just my opinion.

Caporegime
Why? They either have it or they don’t. If they don’t have it, you get something from a higher category and there is only the premium stuff above a convertible.

Oh no, there are many categories higher than a convertible. Convertible does equate to a premium car unless you are specifying that. Standard SUV, Full size SUV, Luxory SUV, Luxory car, Premum and recreational vehicles are all higher categories. Book a Convertivel through a 3rd party and if the renteal agency doesn;t have them you can end up with a Toyota Rav4 or such.

Caporegime
Have done this a few times, no problems. I think the only time I couldn't was Canada into the US. I think that added almost $1,000 if I remember correctly (Which I might not be...)

Because they can;t leave a US car in canada (it would have to be imported and taxes paid etc.), so they have to pay a shipping company to haul it back to the US.

Associate
I did once for work Detroit to Chicago, got charged about $250 extra for the one way rental, when I went to pick the car up I heard them say "where's that Chicago car"!
So I returned it for them and paid for the privilage :D (work were paying so I didn't really mind).

Back
Top Bottom