Gaps around front door

Soldato
Hi,

Still decorating the hall, stairs and landing and was fed up with the tatty upvc strip that went around the front door sides and top so pulled it off on one side.

You can see daylight through the crack, the house has gone back to being cold in those rooms so need to get something sorted asap.

What's best to use to fill the gap?

I've already got some wool insulation that I used above the door as it was a hollow space with plasterboard each side. I could ram a load of that in to block it and replace the architrave with new or some wood strips I've got.

Expanding foam? Never had much luck with using it, cutting it back and then find the tubes block really easily so only use them in one go.

Any advice?

Good places for architrave? It's 2 x 208cm and 1 x 153cm lengths, 5cm wide but happy to go a little bigger and it's 1.5 or 1.6 deep.

I'm happy to use some 3-inch pine strips I've got, sanded and painted will still look nice.

Soldato
I used expanding foam then plastered over the foam and finished with new plastic trim 1/2 the width they used . Love fact they quote how heat efficient the windows or doors are but then surround it with 3mm plastic with massive air gaps

Soldato
Expanding foam is the way forward, spray the tubes and outlet of the can with wd40 before you start and it wont get blocked (also works to take it off your hands).

Back
Top Bottom