Potential upgrade from Nokia 8

Man of Honour
Bit of a boring 'spec me' thread I'm afraid, that I don't normally do. I was hoping BF/CM would have served up some decent deals but the only one I fancied was a Samsung note 10+ 5G, that required me to trade in one of my old android handsets (I could only find non-android handsets).

Currently I have a Nokia 8 that is just over two years old, now out of contract so using a rolling monthly Lebara sim as a holding pattern until I upgrade. What I'm looking for is:

• Android
  • Good battery life
  • Smooth experience (Nokia 8 is pretty good, not much bloat)
  • Preferably has a 3.5 headphone jack although not essential
  • Decent sized screen (>5.5")
  • Ideally 5G but not that important
  • Decent main/rear camera, not fussed about selfie camera
  • No budget per se but would be expecting to pay around £30/month or equivalent including a tariff with 4GB+ data

Soldato
The Note 10+ will cost more than £30 per month, assuming you're not ready to put down a few hundred up front. The Huawei P30 Pro is a good shout, as well as its older-but-still-good brother, the Mate 20 Pro. Both of these phones have been available at stupid cheap prices lately and though the best deals are gone, you should be able to get one of them at a good price.

Otherwise you've got Oneplus phones, but they're not widely available on monthly and when they are, they're overpriced. The Samsung S10+ is still quite expensive, but again it's sale season.

Beyond that, Chinese phones, some of which almost have it all and at a reasonable price if you're happy importing.

I just bought a Note 10+ 5G and the phone itself is good. I only bought the 5G version because it saw a £200 price drop compared to the £150 for the 4G version and I should recoup the difference at resale. Otherwise I wouldn't (personally) worry too much about 5G just yet.

Back
Top Bottom