Overheating randomly

Associate
6700k (I was @ 4.5ghz)

So I went on holiday recently and when I got back I noticed my computer was running slower and getting lower fps.

I checked and my cpu was no longer overclocked and its running hot (up to 90c). I cleaned everything (was dusty), and started it back up. Now its a bit cooler but still WAY hotter than it should be, and I can no longer overclock at all. My fans are going like crazy all the damn time.

My only thought would be something with the thermal paste, but I have no idea.

I plan to take my cooler off and have a look, but aside from that does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Soldato
Without knowing what case, case cooling, CPU cooler, etc you have it's almost impossible to help. Any suggestions we make are just gabbing at air. If you have a CLC on CPU it may be going out and not circulating like it should .. pump failure is most common problem with them, but it could be bad seat. If it's air cooled then I would remove, clean and re-mount with new TIM. Or maybe your overclock failed because it's burning out chip so it can't run as fast as it used to. But like I said, that just grabbing things out of the air.

Associate
OP
Ok so yesterday I removed my water cooler after some gaming. Temperature was 85-95c. I take it off and I feel around carefully, and its not notably hot.

I reapply some thermal paste, make sure everything is positions correctly. No difference.

Today I turn on my computer, temps 15-20 on a low load, compared to 65-75 the day before. No idea why.

Associate
OP
Thats not exactly accurate. Firstly the thermal paste looked completely fine. When I reapplied new paste and the cooler, the problem was still there. The next day without touching anything, its perfect.

Soldato
Thats not exactly accurate. Firstly the thermal paste looked completely fine. When I reapplied new paste and the cooler, the problem was still there. The next day without touching anything, its perfect.
I assumed he was being facetious with the smiley face at the end. Otherwise the comprehension leaves a lot to be desired :p

Soldato
Or maybe TIM was a layer between CPU and cooler base and initial run heated it so it flowed out and now CPU to cooler is direct contact with TIM only filling voids as intended. Even TIMs' heat transfer is not all that good compared to direct metal to metal with TIM only filling tiny voids. Air is 0.024W./mK, TIMs are 3-16W/mK, copper is 400W/mK and alunimium is 200W/mK .. so if TIM is a layer instead of filler of voids there is dramatic loss of heat transfer and increase in temps.

Associate
6700k (I was @ 4.5ghz)
So I went on holiday recently and when I got back I noticed my computer was running slower and getting lower fps.

I've been working away for a week and now my PS4 has randomly started overheating in a similar way to your computer.
The fan is so loud that I've got to wear the headset most of the time and it sort of works, but then it shuts down when it gets too hot.
I need to open it up to clean it and possibly change the fan, but not sure what type of screwdrivers I need. Anyone know how I can find out? They are only small security screws, so I don't want to round them.
Thanks

Soldato
I've been working away for a week and now my PS4 has randomly started overheating in a similar way to your computer.
The fan is so loud that I've got to wear the headset most of the time and it sort of works, but then it shuts down when it gets too hot.
I need to open it up to clean it and possibly change the fan, but not sure what type of screwdrivers I need. Anyone know how I can find out? They are only small security screws, so I don't want to round them.
Thanks
Www.ifixit.com will have disassembly instructions including screw sizes.

Back
Top Bottom