Spec Check Build

Associate
OP
All done now. However still need a AIO to be honest as I cant stand the supplied cooler ramping up and down noise wise.

NZXT X62 is on my list of course to match the H500i case that I got. However it is a bit pricey and stock is limited.

Im getting about 4700 on Cinebench R20 for the CPU , is that about right ? Also 7000 ish on Superposition benchmark on 1080p Extreme settings.

Mostly on out of the box settings except for the RAM which is set to XMP mode. Tried tweaking the BIOS , but when it doesn't boot it doesn't seem to revert back and I have to short the CMOS Pins , am I missing a trick somewhere ? As my previous motherboard would revert back to safe settings if failed to boot.

The Sabrent NVME is pretty damn fast. getting almost 3.5GB reads and 3.0GB Writes.

Anyone give me some tips on the Ryzen Master software as im a complete AMD novice :D.

Cheers

Soldato
Just built a 3700X/B450 Tomahawk MAX a couple of days ago. Experimented with settings and overclocking. Manual all-core overclocking (4.3GHz) produced the best all-core Cinebench R20 results (5200-ish) but isn't suitable for 24/7 and fails Prime/Handbrake (unless Vcore is pumped up too dangerously for 24/7).

My best results (4920-ish v 4850-ish) were with the "AMD Overclocking" option* enabled, Precision Boost enabled, AMD Cool n Quiet disabled. Did this inside the BIOS. Only used Ryzen Master for monitoring.

* This is found as an option in the "CPU Core Voltage" dropdown.

Your score may also go up with a better cooler perhaps. Chips can vary, too.

When I played with RAM I also found the mobo wouldn't reset to default automatically, and it would just hang until CMOS clear. Don't know if this is a Ryzen thing or motherboard-dependent.

Associate
OP
Just built a 3700X/B450 Tomahawk MAX a couple of days ago. Experimented with settings and overclocking. Manual all-core overclocking (4.3GHz) produced the best all-core Cinebench R20 results (5200-ish) but isn't suitable for 24/7 and fails Prime/Handbrake (unless Vcore is pumped up too dangerously for 24/7).

My best results (4920-ish v 4850-ish) were with the "AMD Overclocking" option* enabled, Precision Boost enabled, AMD Cool n Quiet disabled. Did this inside the BIOS. Only used Ryzen Master for monitoring.

* This is found as an option in the "CPU Core Voltage" dropdown.

Your score may also go up with a better cooler perhaps. Chips can vary, too.

When I played with RAM I also found the mobo wouldn't reset to default automatically, and it would just hang until CMOS clear. Don't know if this is a Ryzen thing or motherboard-dependent.

Nice one ! I think it might be the limitation of the motherboard not resetting to defaults on failed post due to bios settings. Bit of a faff when you need to open the case to short the jumper to reset.

I’m using the latest BIOS version v35. The manual mentions an Auto CLR CMOS option under Boot menu but it is not showing.

Soldato
Nice one ! I think it might be the limitation of the motherboard not resetting to defaults on failed post due to bios settings. Bit of a faff when you need to open the case to short the jumper to reset.

I’m using the latest BIOS version v35. The manual mentions an Auto CLR CMOS option under Boot menu but it is not showing.

Thanks, will have a look for that option on latest Tomahawk BIOS.

For what it's worth, also noticed quite a few software conflicts. Afterburner wouldn't implement fan tuning settings because of AMD Software, and MSI Dragon Center would cause AMD Software to revert GPU tuning profile to default on bootup. With Afterburner and Dragon Center now uninstalled, I still dislike how AMD Software reverts to default and ignores my GPU tuning profile whenever there's a crash or forced shutdown that has nothing to do with the GPU settings. Have to manually re-enable it. I'd be okay with that if the PC were for myself but it's not and will have to explain to the owner about that quirk.

Associate
OP
Thanks, will have a look for that option on latest Tomahawk BIOS.

For what it's worth, also noticed quite a few software conflicts. Afterburner wouldn't implement fan tuning settings because of AMD Software, and MSI Dragon Center would cause AMD Software to revert GPU tuning profile to default on bootup. With Afterburner and Dragon Center now uninstalled, I still dislike how AMD Software reverts to default and ignores my GPU tuning profile whenever there's a crash or forced shutdown that has nothing to do with the GPU settings. Have to manually re-enable it. I'd be okay with that if the PC were for myself but it's not and will have to explain to the owner about that quirk.
I have MSI Afterburner / RIVA installed , but I haven't tweaked the GPU at all. No need as yet.

Installed the Ryzen Master , but it doesn't seem to load if I have any type of monitoring software , NZXT CAM / HWMonitor / MSI Afterburner etc etc loaded.

Also whats your CPU Voltages at (VCORE at ?) on full Auto HWMonitor is reporting a max of 1.456V , not sure if that is high or alright ?

Soldato
I have MSI Afterburner / RIVA installed , but I haven't tweaked the GPU at all. No need as yet.

Installed the Ryzen Master , but it doesn't seem to load if I have any type of monitoring software , NZXT CAM / HWMonitor / MSI Afterburner etc etc loaded.

I'm using latest version of HWiNFO64 instead of HWMonitor (no NZXT CAM, no Afterburner) and Master is loading fine.

Also whats your CPU Voltages at (VCORE at ?) on full Auto HWMonitor is reporting a max of 1.456V , not sure if that is high or alright ?

That's fine. It can be 1.5v on Auto when idling or at least not stressing all cores. As more cores get stressed, the Vcore drops down to 1.25v-1.325v depending on motherboard settings. Try a Cinebench run while monitoring the Vcore and that's what you should see.

Associate
OP
I'm using latest version of HWiNFO64 instead of HWMonitor (no NZXT CAM, no Afterburner) and Master is loading fine.

That's fine. It can be 1.5v on Auto when idling or at least not stressing all cores. As more cores get stressed, the Vcore drops down to 1.25v-1.325v depending on motherboard settings. Try a Cinebench run while monitoring the Vcore and that's what you should see.

Yeah looks like it is dropping down to about 1.21 Volts when Cinebenching. All is ok then ;)

Soldato
@Lustral

I've still got the system as the owner hasn't picked it up yet. Discovered something which boosted scores a little more.

Precision Boost > Advanced > Manual > PBO Limits. There are three settings: PPT, TDC, EDC.

It's the EDC limit that affects it the most. Too much EDC and the chip gets hot and throttles (according to results). Too little EDC and it doesn't maintain boost enough. Found the sweet spot in this system/cooling setup to be 85A EDC. Took the Cinebench R20 score up to 1950. Using 82A or 88A, for example, the scores were consistently 1930-1940. Below or above those values, the scores would decrease rapidly.

The TDC Limit amperage won't reach quite as high as EDC and you can safely assign the same value as for EDC. And PPT Limit I set to 120W which is a bit over what Cinebench R20 uses. Not sure there's a need to set a PPT Limit if you don't care about package power but this will be useful in this system belonging to someone else because it acts as a secondary safety net for AVX stuff like Prime, along with Platform Thermal Throttle Limit which I've set to 80C.

Associate
OP
@Lustral

I've still got the system as the owner hasn't picked it up yet. Discovered something which boosted scores a little more.

Precision Boost > Advanced > Manual > PBO Limits. There are three settings: PPT, TDC, EDC.

It's the EDC limit that affects it the most. Too much EDC and the chip gets hot and throttles (according to results). Too little EDC and it doesn't maintain boost enough. Found the sweet spot in this system/cooling setup to be 85A EDC. Took the Cinebench R20 score up to 1950. Using 82A or 88A, for example, the scores were consistently 1930-1940. Below or above those values, the scores would decrease rapidly.

The TDC Limit amperage won't reach quite as high as EDC and you can safely assign the same value as for EDC. And PPT Limit I set to 120W which is a bit over what Cinebench R20 uses. Not sure there's a need to set a PPT Limit if you don't care about package power but this will be useful in this system belonging to someone else because it acts as a secondary safety net for AVX stuff like Prime, along with Platform Thermal Throttle Limit which I've set to 80C.

Might have a go when I get my AIO. So far everything is smooth as silk.

Back
Top Bottom