Is it worth upgrading a i7 980x 2010 build advice please?

Associate
OP
Stick everything on the ssd imo,you can get the samsung 2tb qvo fairly cheap or the 1tb,

Keep old hdd just to backup important stuff,but any mechnical hdd will be the slowest part compared to an ssd

Ok, thank you. I think the 1tb will be more than enough for what I use.

Associate
OP
What stuff do you guys do in cinema?

I use Cinema at home for just a hobby when I have the time, pretty much all of my 3D modelling is for buildings and structures. Working on a castle timber hourd at the minute. As for the CAD I also use that at home to help with cinema, but its also what I do for a living - structures in CAD!

Associate
OP
Don't think I will have time to backup and reinstall the OS onto a new ssd over Christmas. Planning on doing it just into the new year. In the meantime I was wondering;

I'm assuming the ssd won't come with a data cable, but I think I have a few spare that came with my 9 year old motherboard. Can I use these or do I need to buy a new one? Does it matter or are the cables different specs?

For now I'm sticking with Windows 7, when support is dropped after the 14th. Will it still recognise all updates up to that point and allow me to install them? Meaning will W7 search for them or will I have to manually download it direct it from the MS website.

Thank you

Soldato
Don't think I will have time to backup and reinstall the OS onto a new ssd over Christmas. Planning on doing it just into the new year. In the meantime I was wondering;

I'm assuming the ssd won't come with a data cable, but I think I have a few spare that came with my 9 year old motherboard. Can I use these or do I need to buy a new one? Does it matter or are the cables different specs?

For now I'm sticking with Windows 7, when support is dropped after the 14th. Will it still recognise all updates up to that point and allow me to install them? Meaning will W7 search for them or will I have to manually download it direct it from the MS website.

Thank you

Any Sata cable should work just fine.

Not sure if you will be able to download updates for win 7, I thought you have to pay for some extended license and it might only be open to companies but not 100% on this.

Soldato
Based on older OS’ it will update with all the historic stuff (win98 still does), but considering how long you suggest it will take you to reinstall an OS, you really don’t want to install Win7 if you can possibly avoid it, no security updates makes it a sitting duck.

Associate
OP
Thats great thank you. I can use the spare leads I have.

I don't think it will take long installing the os, but its the backing up, restoring and setting up my software that I think I don't have too much time to sort out.

Do you mean, if If reinstall after the end support im open to security issues during the process. Or did you mean best not to use W7 after?

Thanks

Soldato
Thats great thank you. I can use the spare leads I have.

I don't think it will take long installing the os, but its the backing up, restoring and setting up my software that I think I don't have too much time to sort out.

Do you mean, if If reinstall after the end support im open to security issues during the process. Or did you mean best not to use W7 after?

Thanks

I mean from when it goes EoL in January, any and all security holes discovered that affect Win7 will not receive a patch or a fix from MS, it becomes a liability as a) it still has a reasonable user base and b) they have no method of protecting themselves, so they’re easy pickings. Again seriously consider if you actually want to do this, it’s not a good idea.

Associate
OP
I mean from when it goes EoL in January, any and all security holes discovered that affect Win7 will not receive a patch or a fix from MS, it becomes a liability as a) it still has a reasonable user base and b) they have no method of protecting themselves, so they’re easy pickings. Again seriously consider if you actually want to do this, it’s not a good idea.

Thank you. Sorry I misunderstood you, I thought you meant that it would be an issue preventing me from reinstalling.

I have no problem using W10 as i use it a work and it would make sense to install it with a new ssd. But I am not 100% sure it will work "well" with my motherboard? I have read some reports that its fine and others say that it wont work or causes problems after a few days use? So it doesn't give me a great deal of confidence. The other thing I need to make sure is that will it work with Cinema 4D (can test it on my sons W10 pc) as this would end up being a very expensive upgrade if I had to buy a new licence.

I might try and contact Asus and see what they have to say as they are listing drivers under W10

Soldato
I might try and contact Asus and see what they have to say as they are listing drivers under W10

When I installed win 10 on my asus pt6 v2 deluxe which is very similar to your board I just let win 10 install its own drivers and stuff as the ones for my board were only win 7 and about 9 years old.

All worked fine and never had any issues.

Associate
OP
Best of luck with that :D

Lol, yes I very much doubt they will reply!

When I installed win 10 on my asus pt6 v2 deluxe which is very similar to your board I just let win 10 install its own drivers and stuff as the ones for my board were only win 7 and about 9 years old.

All worked fine and never had any issues.

Thank you, that's good to hear and a lot more encouraging! :)

One thing that crossed my mind about windows 10 this morning;

If I install it on my current pc and lets say it's all fine, but then I decide to do a new build later on in the year. Am I right in saying that I will have to buy another licence / copy of windows for the new build rather than use the first purchase of it? Meaning is the licence tied to the motherboard, I guess it would be as you could do multiple installs on one copy of W10.

If that's the case, I would be wasting money and would make sense to go straight into a new build.

Cheers

Soldato
Lol, yes I very much doubt they will reply!

Thank you, that's good to hear and a lot more encouraging! :)

One thing that crossed my mind about windows 10 this morning;

If I install it on my current pc and lets say it's all fine, but then I decide to do a new build later on in the year. Am I right in saying that I will have to buy another licence / copy of windows for the new build rather than use the first purchase of it? Meaning is the licence tied to the motherboard, I guess it would be as you could do multiple installs on one copy of W10.

If that's the case, I would be wasting money and would make sense to go straight into a new build.

Cheers

I think it costs me around £2 per win 10 pro activation code, I brought from a very popular second hand website site. Had no issues with any of the codes, I think I've brought about 10 altogether for family and friends PCs.

Associate
OP
I think it costs me around £2 per win 10 pro activation code, I brought from a very popular second hand website site. Had no issues with any of the codes, I think I've brought about 10 altogether for family and friends PCs.

That sounds good, can you pm the name of the site please - but only if its not going to get you in any trouble with the moderators!

Associate
OP
Asus got back to me and said the following;

"The only available files for the windows 10 is the bios as you can install windows 10 on the motherboard but there are no official drivers for the windows 10 OS"

As for the drivers, how do I get them?

Just had another reply from Asus about the drivers;

"you can use the drivers from windows 8 or 8.1. Butt Windows 10 also does find the drivers automatically and installs them"

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Asus got back to me and said the following;

"The only available files for the windows 10 is the bios as you can install windows 10 on the motherboard but there are no official drivers for the windows 10 OS"

As for the drivers, how do I get them?

Just had another reply from Asus about the drivers;

"you can use the drivers from windows 8 or 8.1. Butt Windows 10 also does find the drivers automatically and installs them"

Thanks

What exactly do you need drivers for? The answer is you don’t know because you’ve not installed the OS yet. Obviously W10 ships with a wide selection of drivers, chipset wise intel provide chipset drivers for a lot of chipsets, Realtek and everyone else also usually supply drivers for the stuff they make, in fact the general rules the consumer market is other than the BIOS you source everything from the actual OEM concerned if you need to as the motherboard OEM will usually be some version(s) behind. Why not just install the OS and and try it, as long as you have a network driver or a supported wifi dongle, you can download whatever you need.

Back
Top Bottom