Want a change from a MK 7 Fiesta st

Associate
Due to potentially getting a 4-5k P.A pay rise soon and having an endowment policy pay out £54.000 in Jan I am toying with the idea of replacing my 4 year old fiesta ST.

I am in love with the styling and tech in the new CLA from mercedes and have short listed the CLA 250 AMG line premium plus. but have a feeling I may just miss the fun factor of the ST. I am waiting for the local mercedes dealer to get a demo in for a test drive.

I have also short listed the following

Hyundai I30n fastback
Honda type R
Golf R

these don't grab me on styling but should be more engaging to drive than the mercedes.Sadly the AMG CLA 35 is just too expensive as I want to reinvest a lot of the endowment policy so will only have the PX value of my fiesta and around £5k cash for upfront cost and can do a monthly payment of 400-500. I could do a 2 year lease on the CLA 35 for £13K but leasing just feels like lost money, but probably is not if Im going to take the depreciation hit buying new.

Can get the CLA 250 with spec I want for £32000 - 33000 ( range of broker quotes)

So what I need to know is whats the best thing to do. Lease or buy and if any one has any other sugestions for cars I should short list.

No BMW's please as I work for a logistics company who operates their import center so drive them every day and all though I get discount through their partner scheme I find them unispiring in looks.

and could a Mod change what to want in the thread title please.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

But a 2 year old CLA is the previous generation model which is a fairly nasty car.

Soldato
Leasing is lost money, but all cars in this price range are whether you buy outright, lease, PCP..

I say i30N. Keep the hot hatch driving appeal but have something that doesn't look mental like a CTR or dull (until it's stolen) like a Golf R.

Associate
OP
Not many cars are as fun as the Fiesta ST tbh.

Tune the Fiesta instead :D

That is an option if I can work out how to get a smother ride on our dilapidated roads.

But a 2 year old CLA is the previous generation model which is a fairly nasty car.

This. New model is highly rated but not the old. The amount of comfort and tech in the new models A class and CLA's for the price is amazing. I get to drive all the BMW range as well as the Jaguar landrover range and Bently, Rolls, Mclaren and Aston Martins so I get to compare the competition and above.

After posting last night I am now thinking of staying with the fiesta for a year and see if I can pick up a ex-demo or second hand CLA 35 next year. I can then take a extra holiday and I am thinking Vietnam for the F1 GP in April.

Associate
OP
That sounds like a good plan. If the Fiesta is still fun and reliable then waiting a year to get the car you want is no great chore.

Fiesta's great fun but being 48 I sometimes desire a smother ride and comfort. I had a Alfa Guiletta Clverleaf before the fiesta which was a good ride but only fun at stupid speeds and I need a license for my work. The fiesta breezed through its 4 year service and Mot last week so have no concerns over reliability.

Thanks for changing the thread title.

Associate
OP
What about the Fiesta ST's bigger brother, the Focus ST?

Due to having stupidly long legs and the focus having a large center console I can not drive a focus for long periods. as the edge of the center console is where my left leg wants to be and it rubs. I had the new focus as a hire car recently so I found out it was not suited. Looks wise I find them bland as well.

Associate
Due to having stupidly long legs and the focus having a large center console I can not drive a focus for long periods. as the edge of the center console is where my left leg wants to be and it rubs. I had the new focus as a hire car recently so I found out it was not suited. Looks wise I find them bland as well.
Was it a ST focus hire car? The ST seats tend to be slightly taller, at least that's what I found when I bought mine. Im 6ft4 and fit perfect, and cover 25k a year. I would have to disagree about the looks as well, I think they look better than the golf and civic (civic is very marmite), but looks are personal and many on here would disagree with me :D

Associate
OP
No it was a basic model Focus. I'm 6Ft6 but with long legs.Yeah the civic and golf dont really do it in the looks department for me aswell.

Soldato
I always found the driving position odd in the STs. You need short legs and long arms :p

I think the problem comes from them slapping sports seats inside the standard car without changing anything else (same with most hot hatches).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom