• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help with new GPU

Associate
Hi, recently upgraded from a 1080ti to a RTX 2080ti. Iam only getting 40-50 fps on all games. Have tried DDU no luck also a new install of Windows 10 updated BIOs as well.

Asus prime deluxe X299
64gb ram
Asus RTX 2080ti duel overclocked 11gb
i7-7800x
1tb m2 ssd
3x 240gb ssd's

All watercooled
Any ideas? starting to think upgrade was not worth the hassle

Soldato
What games and settings are you using (resolution etc)?

It is quite possible that the i7 7800X is the limiting factor, especially if it isn't overclocked. From memory its performance is around that of a Ryzen 2600 (both at stock). Depending on game and setting a 2080Ti would be bottlenecked by a 2600 thus would also be bottlenecked by a 7800X.

One relatively easy way to check is to have MSI Afterburner running whilst in game and monitoring GPU usage. If the GPU is low then it indicates a bottleneck (most likely the GPU is waiting on the CPU).

Associate
OP
What games and settings are you using (resolution etc)?

It is quite possible that the i7 7800X is the limiting factor, especially if it isn't overclocked. From memory its performance is around that of a Ryzen 2600 (both at stock). Depending on game and setting a 2080Ti would be bottlenecked by a 2600 thus would also be bottlenecked by a 7800X.

One relatively easy way to check is to have MSI Afterburner running whilst in game and monitoring GPU usage. If the GPU is low then it indicates a bottleneck (most likely the GPU is waiting on the CPU).

What is best cpu to go for?

Associate
OP
Intel 16 Core i9 9960X Unlocked Skylake Is this a good upgrade and will it work?
I have £1000 budget either for CPU for current MB or upgrade to new MB and a new CPU.

Soldato
Do some more investigation before jumping to spend another £1k, start with msi afterburner, you tube how to set it up to monitor in game as well

Soldato
Shouldn’t be seeing a bottleneck with any X299 cpu even at 1080p.

Ryzen is somewhat better sure in multithread. Games you won’t even notice a difference.

I’d as others start with investigating the issue as something is not right.

In terms of upgrading it’s pointless unless you want more multithread performance. Games are not know to take full advantage so 7800x to even 9980xe for games is just a waste.

Hell 7800x to 9800x is madness as the 9800x is barely any quicker.

Back
Top Bottom