• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intermittent black screen/no signal

Associate
I'm using a new system build. All parts bought from overclockers.

gfx: msi rtx 2060 ventus xs oc 6gb
mobo: Asus prime z390-p
cpu: core i5 9600k
psu: seasonic focus 850w

I bought the gpu a couple of weeks ago. I originally put it in my old build. Several times it black screened on me. By black screen I mean no signal to the monitor. My motherboard had failed on me and the primary pcie slot had died so I just put it down to a bad board. I posted about it on here in the motherboard section.

Yesterday I got my new parts and built my new system using the msi gpu. It has since black screened/no signal twice now. It seems to happen when the computer is powered fully off. Ie switched off at the mains. Whenever it is and I power back on I get no signal until I hit the reset switch and it suddenly starts working. It's not doing that every time but im worried now that the gpu is faulty.

A simple solution is to keep the power on and put my computer to standbye but I shouldn't have to do that with a new gpu.

Do you think my gpu is faulty? Should I start an rma for it? Is it worth it? Because if someone tests it and it fires up alright then it will be returned as healthy.

Edit: I've found litteraly hundreds of posts online about similar problems with the rtx 2060 cards. It seems to be a common fault with them. I think it's about rma time.

Just to clarify, it only does it when I first power up my pc and it's usually after switching off then on at the mains. Also when it does it, if I hit the reset swith it suddenly starts working.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just to update this. It wasnt the gpu causing me issues. It was a brand new seasonic psu that I got. It has went down completely. The black screens were just a warning sign. I stupidly used the same psu on 2 different pc builds I used to test the gpu. But the psu is now totally dead. It wont start. I've pulled it out and used the test jumper on it and it wont start up. I used an older psu to test my main components and they're working just fine with the older psu.

Back
Top Bottom