So how did your decade go?

Soldato
So how has the decade gone for you?
Mine. Very mixed, paid off mortgage in west Yorkshire (took 9 years) but got gross dismissal in 2012. Sold and used the cash to buy in Cornwall (always in the. Master plan)
Split with my very long term partner in 2014 but. We remain good friends
Was made redundant this year but used time and some money to walk the Camino in Spain
Life now is minimum wage agency work(I have an amazing house on a hill don't feel. pity) , but the choice to pick your own work days, In between I walk, bodyboard or. Just chill on the beach and watch and film the waves and wildlife.
So yes very mixed, very bitter sweet, how was yours?

Soldato
Left uni, worked in retail.
Quit retail, worked in a school as IT support.
Offered to train as a teacher at said school.
Got my PGCE
Became a teacher.
Moved schools
Made redundant at new school.
Moved to new school.
Been there since.

Soldato
Great thread idea!

Professional life: Did my undergrad, masters, PhD. Move to the USA in a couple of months for work, really hoping it works out long term!
Personal: Two long term partners, both good relationships but didn't work out. Bought a house, about to rent it out.

Life is very different to how i thought it would be ten years ago. I figured I'd be married with a child or two right now, turns out I now think I don't want to get married, or have children :p

It has been a good decade though, I really can't complain. It's been a lot of fun and I've held on to quite a few friends that I've now known for over 10 years, which I'm very grateful for.

Soldato
Professional:
Completed my apprenticeship this decade and worked for 5 years in the steel works on shifts.
Moved to a much better paid job, not on shifts and with opportunities to earn other time. Might be looking to progress to management in the future.

Personal;
Been in my first long term relationship for the last 6 years. Engaged and have a crazy little bean running around my house.
Went from renting a room in a flat share to owning a 3 bed house.
Mentally my life has been on the upturn, started the decade on anti depressants with suicidal thoughts, been off medication for 5 years and cant remember the last time I had suicidal thoughts. So that good.

Other all the decade has been my best, been a few set backs. Mainly with injuries that have stopped me playing rugby and caused a weight increase. Bit other than that Its been good and i home the future decade goes just as well.

Soldato
Thats a big question! 10 years... The last 10 years has shaped me and made me such a vastly different person, I guess you only find out who you really are through the tougher times, in the last 10 years I've found confidence, I've found my voice, I've understood so much more what makes me tick, I've had some amazing experiences at both ends of the spectrum, things that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

I quit Bus driving for stagecoach. Joined the army. Completed 2 Herrick tours. Since then I have re-rolled and re-traded multiple times as my regiment has evolved and equipment's have changed over the years.
I would say the last year and a half have been my busiest, Spending significant amount of my time away in Germany, Canada, USA and up the west coast of Scotland amongst many other places.

Has the last decade gone as expected? I dont think I had any expectations to be fair, it was always a case of take it as it comes and try and make the most of the experiences. I definitely had no plans, just thought I'd rolled with it and see where the journey took me. I feel this current chapter I coming to an end though, time to move on to something different, a new path, a new challenge a completely new direction. As much as I appreciate what the last decade has given me, I'm looking forward to what comes next!

Soldato
I was at university in 2010. I graduated from uni in 2012, worked in retail for a few months then got a job at the council. Moved to the private sector and then again to a bigger company.

I did a Transport and Engineering Masters degree paid for by my employer.

I started the decade with General Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks, tackled that by 2013 but its gone downhill a lot this year. I started out confident and that had slowly gone downhill and I am not sure why! I also started out generally robust - hangovers weren't so bad, I could eat pretty much anything, didn't get ill... But now I don't drink anymore, I don't try new food and I am ill a lot more! I am not even old!

I moved out of my parents house and into a rented mouldy flat with my partner. We then moved a nicer rented house. We finally bought a place this year. We've gone from not having much money at 22yo to being comfortable (mostly because we don't have kids).

My Mum died in 2017.

A mixed bag really for me.

Soldato
Quickly!

But all you younglings will find that that tends to happen as you get older.

:D

(It seems recollection of time is non-linear and is more related to the amount of time experienced thus far rather than in absolute terms)

Soldato
Ups and downs like most people. My wife had open heart surgery at the start, and has since had keyhole surgery (clever stuff) Lost a couple of pets, lost some people to illness, decided to go back to work part time to keep fit. Watched our son grow from a boy to a man and do well in his career.
Got sick, nearly died, still suffering the after effects. The year has ended on a bit of a downer, first with Saskia Jones murder (a good friend) and then a few days later with the news that my illness may no longer be in remission after 5 years.
Onwards and upwards.

Soldato
Had my son in 2010
Got promoted at work in 2011
Got married in 2015
Had my daughter in 2016
Promoted again in 2018
Bought our first house in 2018, finally out of the rental market
Spent the last year and a bit renovating.

Plan for the next decade is to finish renovating the house, properly quit smoking (I've cut down massively but struggle to kick the last two cheeky 1-3 a day at specific times) and start taking better came of my own health, including proper effort into fixing my bad back.

Soldato
Started single and a disgruntled wage slave, only a year away from buying a 16GB 2500k setup. Ended single and a 24/7 dementia carer, still happily running that 16GB 2500k with a better GPU. Neither employer really knew/knows who I am, but the new one needs me more. The complicated, frustrating, depressing transition in the middle was... unpleasant but unavoidable for anyone with an ounce of empathy.

I've had better decades. But watching my mother slowly fade away over the last six years has made me a better human being; kinder, more patient, more connected to my community, more aware of what really matters. And my guitar playing has improved no end... silver lining and all that. I may be significantly poorer than I could have been, with no pension and an uncertain future once Mum dies, but I'm fretting less about the future and trying harder to enjoy right now. Mainly because the older you get the less future there is to fret about and the more easily pleased you are. Any day without backache is a good day! :)

I can look back on five decades now with varying degrees of clarity. But the one truth about them all is that sad old cliché: where the heck did all those years go?? There were only forty lumps of fifty years between now and the notional beginning of Christmas. History starts to feel like a much shallower pond when you're older; when you're young it's an unfathomable ocean. Swim while you can; you'll be paddling towards oblivion before you know it. Ho, ho, ho! ;)

Soldato
10 years ago I was renting a flat with my long term partner and working a dead end warehouse job.

2010-2012 completed a Masters part time
2012 Got a good job in the NHS and started some consultancy work on the side
2014 Bought our first home
2016 Had our daughter
2017 Got married
2018 Moved into a more senior role at work
2019 bought our forever home and found out we've got a baby boy on the way early next year

Things worked out in the end :)

Soldato
2010 graduated in Geography, met Mrs
2011 started BSc IT with OU because I shouldn't have bothered with Geography
2014 Got married and moved from NI to Liverpool
2016 Got first IT job
2018 Graduated IT
2019 Got better IT job and got CCNA

Over this time also walked Camino del Rey, went to Iceland and Kenya. Also built first gaming PC, owned 2 motorbikes, changed cars 5 times (now got ones I particularly like) and worked on married life to get mortgage and own home. Got really fit and lost weight, lost my fitness put weight back on and now trying to get it back.

It's had a lot of ups and downs and been hard work but it's overall been positive. Looking forward to the next decade.

Caporegime
Okay but horrible too.

Left my old job, wasnt appreciated at all. Stayed a new job where I feel wanted, decent pay rise, closet to home.

Stayed saving for a house deposit, sadly pot on hold to pay very bills after we lost our dog, which was horrible. Still feel like crap over it.

So, good year I guess, but suffered a loss too.

Next we will hopefully save enough money for a house deposit and no doubt move away from where I've been all my life (but still be relatively close)

Associate
Literally about a decade ago I got schizophrenia so the last 10 years has been kinda bad and weird. But I have been slowly getting better.

I bought a house with my brother in Manchester. I lived there with a couple of friends at first, then when he moved over I lived with him and his girlfriend. We aquired a couple of cats but sadly my granddad died.

I lost my job due to illness. but luckily I managed to buy another house in Burnley where I now live alone. Going to get a lodger next year. So my brother lives with his girlfriend in Burnley, they have just split up but have a lovely child, my nephew and we rent out the house in Manchester.

I have put a bit of weight on, I'm trying to go on walks to try and shift it, my diet isn't going well haha. Too many deserts.

So I care for my granny part time and go to a lot of pubs ha and thankfully my parents have an apartment in Majorca that I go to a few times a year with them.

Next decade will be better hopefully now I'm getting on top of my illness. I will pay off this house and most of the mortgage on the other one. Sell up and buy a nice house that finally isn't a terraced. So I'm hoping for a semi or detached with drive and garden. I will get my own cat. yay. In fact my incoming lodger has one.

Got a few ideas on making some money so that I can upgrade my VW Polo to a BMW 2 series and go on some further away holidays other than Spain. I would also like to go Skiing again which I have done this decade.

Finally. I have been too ill to bother with a girlfriend but now I am getting better hopefully I can get one. I have plenty of friends at least.

Man of Honour
A bit of a rubbish decade for me. Quite stressful in both career and personal life. 2019 was particularly bad. Here's hoping for a much better year and decade to come.

Soldato
Had a newborn this time 10 years ago, another one turned up in 2012. These two have taken up most of my free time, and hard to believe we'll be looking at secondary schools for the oldest one soon.

Jobwise, around 2012 I pivoted my career within a company I'd been in a bit of a rut at for 8 years, a move which eventually led to me being headhunted and offered a great job somewhere else which I started in January 2015. New company has seen me lucky enough to regularly travel to different places in the US, Tokyo and all over Europe and with some good career progression and exciting things to work on.

Moved house to get a bigger garden and more room, and this is an ongoing project.

Healthwise, I would say in some ways better than the decade before, where I'd had a few heart issues (ectopic beats, AF episodes leading to cardioversion twice) which I've been able to control with the odd tablet for the last 10 years. I could lose with shedding a bit of girth though :D. Broke my arm and dislocated my elbow a few years ago and it's not really been the same since.

Other bad things, I have to push harder to pee now, and my hangovers are worse. I don't get to see my friends from where I used to live as often as I'd like to.

Soldato
Found love
Got engaged
Lost love
Hammered Tinder
Moved in with parents
Changed career
Owned 9 different cars
Traveled to 4 countries I'd never been to before
Saved a life
Bought a dog
Had my work published in a book
Got food poisoning from raw meat
Almost died
Got fit
Discovered Toblerone mousse
Got fat
Got fit again
Made some new friends
Reconnected with old friends
Made the worlds best sandwich

Meh, reasonable decade.

Associate
Gone from no GCSE's and a criminal record in Plymouth to a degree educated, home owning, higher rate taxpayer in London. Pretty crazy to think about.

Still playing DoTA....

Back
Top Bottom