Upgrade on a tight budget (£300-400 max) vs older rig

Soldato
Hello. A friend has a very old AMD phenom ii based system with a radeon 7850.

He's a very occasional gamer but when he does he likes to play the latest games with us and his current machine is really struggling.

I have an old system he can buy.

sabertooth 990fx
AMD fx 8320
16gb hyper X
His ice Q 7950
120gb ocz ssd
1tb we HDD
Xfx 550w PSU
Corsair carbide 540

When pricing this off ebay it's coming out around £300 Does this seem a fair price? Don't want to rip him off.

Or

Could he get better game performance with a new build around this budget?

He would only need, CPU, motherboard, memory, GPU
and reuse his current case, psu, hdd's and I could give him an old ssd as a boot drive.

What are your thoughts?
cheers.

Soldato
I'd replace the Board CPU & Ram with this: (Sell the old bits off)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £311.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

As for asking for second hand pricing, the rules of OCUK forums does not allow price checks outside of the Members Market, so I would post a new thread in the price checks forum to answer your question.

Associate
I would suggest just upgrading the GPU to something a bit more modern (but not high end because bottlenecks) as that FX 8320 should be able to hold its own, but for around that price you can get hardware from the Sandy/Ivy bridge generation for anything up to £150 from the 'bay or less (this is a rough estimate of what I've seen as you should look for yourself to see what is available) which would leave enough for a 1650 super or even an RX 5500XT depending on how much is spent on the motherboard and CPU (which is all you would need since the RAM can be moved over).

Soldato
When pricing this off ebay it's coming out around £300 Does this seem a fair price? Don't want to rip him off.

No offence but that is a terrible way for him to spend £300, he'd be better off selling his system for £100-130, and spending £500 on a new system.

He could get a Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB DDR4 3000, and an RX 590 with a nice new case PSU and faster SSD for that money.

EDIT: Example below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Kingston A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 590 8 GB RED DRAGON Video Card
Case: Antec VSK 3000 Elite MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: be quiet! System Power 9 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Total: ~£502

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies chaps.

No offence but that is a terrible way for him to spend £300

This is why I started this thread, I couldn't believe the prices old AM3 stuff was going for and didn't realise ryzen prices had fallen so much. I build my current pc a few years ago when the pricing was absurd and I've been out of the loop since.

Still there is an AMD Fx-8350 currently on ebay with 12 bids at £72 with 2 days left and a sabertooth 990fx with 19 bids at £67 with a day left. Why is this stuff still commanding a high prices?

Speaking with him some more it's sounding like he doesn't want to spend any where near this amount, i might just give him my old AM3 system to get by on.

Back
Top Bottom