Ableism

Soldato
Just going down some twitter rabbit holes and i stumbled across the world of “ableism”. Many tweets from people with a wide range of disabilities getting enraged about the most petty of things and calling out “abled’s”.

Will this become the new something “ism” “for 2020 or have i just stumbled upon a bizarre corner of the internet?

Caporegime
Humans are **** retarded, if you want my professional opinion.

We are just collectively getting dumber and dumber. I hope we get wiped out by some virus sooner rather than later.

Permabanned
Ableism has been a meme on twitter for years. Championed by the usual get offended on everyone else's behalf brigade.

Twitter is a ******* toilet.

Caporegime
I'm noticing signs by disabled parking saying that a disability may not be visible.

Fairly sure that being a lazy selfish **** still doesn't count though.
They may identify as disabled tho, in which case I'd have to check the latest PC outrage matrix to see how to respond. I've just received my "Week 52/2019" edition.

Associate
Indeed, with the positive, understanding attitude towards them displayed on this forum its hard to believe some people might have become frustrated with the lack of compassion and understanding exhibited by the public at large and railed against it...

Permabanned
I think people need to stop reading in 2020 online material that literally does not matter to the world. Let people just get on with it, don't post threads like this and then there might be less of it. Remember the times when there was no online activity and you had to knock on ya mates door to go play?

Caporegime
Indeed, with the positive, understanding attitude towards them displayed on this forum its hard to believe some people might have become frustrated with the lack of compassion and understanding exhibited by the public at large and railed against it...
Examples please of people being unkind to disabled people on this forum? Or advocating maltreatment of disabled people?

If you can't provide examples you need to stop being offended for literally no reason.

Caporegime
You don't need to be advocating mistreatment of disabled people to lack understanding or positivity.
Oh you mean like the positivity showed when the police spent £30k putting rainbow stickers on their cars.

Heh, I love that in the absence of actual evidence of wrong doing, it's now OK to criticise people for "lacking positivity". I know you're part of the ultra-PC feel-good social-media-driven nonsense peddling that is modern culture, and I think it's very sad that institutions like the police have allowed that crap to take over.

Man of Honour
I know you're part of the ultra-PC feel-good social-media-driven nonsense peddling that is modern culture

Like many of these arguments, it often degrades to name calling and pigeon-holing that is counter-productive. I think ultimately it comes down to empathy, many of my positions that I've articulated here are purely to try and show another perspective - to show that other people may see value where you don't. You're dismissive approach is likely exactly what @phonemonkey is talking about. But hey, as long as you don't obviously abuse them, it's ok right?

Soldato
Oh you mean like the positivity showed when the police spent £30k putting rainbow stickers on their cars.

Heh, I love that in the absence of actual evidence of wrong doing, it's now OK to criticise people for "lacking positivity". I know you're part of the ultra-PC feel-good social-media-driven nonsense peddling that is modern culture, and I think it's very sad that institutions like the police have allowed that crap to take over.

You've got more posts than anyone else in this thread and have brought up the police just to have a dig at another forum member, yet you're accusing other people of being over-sensitive and easily antagonised?

Caporegime
Like many of these arguments, it often degrades to name calling and pigeon-holing that is counter-productive. I think ultimately it comes down to empathy, many of my positions that I've articulated here are purely to try and show another perspective - to show that other people may see value where you don't. You're dismissive approach is likely exactly what @phonemonkey is talking about. But hey, as long as you don't obviously abuse them, it's ok right?
As you well know and is plain for all to see, I wasn't being dismissive of disabled people.

You are extremely disingenuous when characterising me that way.

This thread is clearly about the modern "offence culture", where anyone can become enraged/offended on someone else's behalf, often over trivial things. The whole nonsense of banding around terms like "cis-gender", "check your privilege", "TERF", etc. It's all toxic.

Again, I asked where people were making light of actual issues raised by disabled people? Nobody is doing so and I've never seen a thread mocking disabled people.

Plenty of people mock the offence culture on social media because it deserves to be mocked.

Spending £30k on rainbow stickers for police cars deserves to be mocked.

That you defend such things doesn't make me insensitive, or uncaring. However the muppets that rule social media deserve nothing *but* mockery, most of the time.

You've got more posts than anyone else in this thread and have brought up the police just to have a dig at another forum member, yet you're accusing other people of being over-sensitive and easily antagonised?
Perhaps read what I did say and not try to re-interpret it to fit your own narrative?

Or alternatively quote me saying those words.

e: And just lol at @Burnsey's "you don't obviously abuse them" line. Implying that I may well be abusing them by posting here. This is why I hate PC culture.

It's full of subtle and not-so-subtle attacks on perfectly upstanding people like myself, if they don't tow the PC line. Implying we're all actually monsters if we don't sign up to PC thought conformity.

I haven't abused any disabled people, thanks Burnsey.

Last edited:
Commissario
You don't need to be advocating mistreatment of disabled people to lack understanding or positivity.
This.

I've seen people wonder why the disabled complain about certain building features, or fully able bodied people complaining about why things like new builds have certain features that look odd (mainly because they're used to the "traditional" way which often became common because it was the fast/easy way at the time to do something and not necessarily the best way even then).

About the only time I've seen disabled people complain about "ablism" is when they've been commenting on designs that take no account of the statistically fairly large number of people who will have trouble using them, and the replies they've received from able bodied people who can't understand why it's an issue, as many many design teams have no experience with disabilities and it's not common to say have products tested to make sure they're reasonably user friendly for a wide range of people.

It's similar to the way you get complaints about UI's when a group of programmers make something and release it without thinking about how people who haven't been in on the thinking behind it and the design process will deal with it on their first encounter, or things like hand dryers that don't work reliably if your skin is anything other than white because the design team used a sensor that wasn't good enough for a wide range of lighting and skin colours, or you get a new building where it technically meets the legal requirements for disabled access but no one has thought about things like the room needed to easily turn a self propelled wheelchair (let alone a pushed one or a motorised one), or how many car parking spaces you see that are disabled but only have room to open the car door wide on one side (thus meaning that if you need to open the door wide the number of options is halved).
In an ideal world every product testing team should have a mix of people from widely different backgrounds, as so many otherwise good products fail due to things like them being designed with a narrow or outdated data set and not enough testing by the sorts of people that are expected to use it so what become blindingly obvious problems in the real world are completely missed.

Going back a few years there was a thread on here (I think it was) where people were complaining about how new builds had to have "a load of silly features" and why couldn't they just put them in for the houses the old/disabled were going to use, or fit them afterwards, where a number of users couldn't grasp the idea that it's far more expensive and time consuming to retrofit basic disabled friendly features than to put them in from the word go*.

I try to be aware if accessibility/ease of use for the disabled because my mother was on crutches and a wheelchair/motorised scooter for decades and we had to learn the hard way what worked (things as simple as a gate latch that could be opened from either side allowing the gate to be pushed open was a struggle to find), and made adaptions to the house that surprised the experts when they did assessments, as we'd already raised sockets so they were easy to reach, changed the light switches to larger surface areas, put in ramps front and back, easy use "lever" taps etc, My father is now going blind and we're starting to see (if you'll pardon the expression) a whole new load of issues we need to sort out, some of which we've already worked on (improved lighting) others we're going to have to deal with.

Basically you as you say, you don't have to be actively advocating against disabled people to have a very narrow view that doesn't consider them, or their needs.

*Not to mention many of the changes are actually useful for able bodied people, including parents with small children (things like low/no steps, slightly wider doors), or when moving white goods in and out.

Soldato
Perhaps read what I did say and not try to re-interpret it to fit your own narrative?

I don't have a "narrative", I'm challenging your attitude and behaviour towards other people. You're seemingly getting worked up over a trivial social media matter, and when your argument is challenged you've resorted to attacking the person rather than their point (ironically, something you see all the time by people on social media). You wouldn't have mentioned the police had someone other than Burnsy posted that initial reply; I've seen you do it to him before so I'm not surprised you got the response from him that you did.

Incidentally, since you're so keen for people to provide evidence, do you have a source for this claim of £30k being spent on pride liveries? IIRC it was something someone on here said last year that they'd been told in a conversation, yet they never said which force nor provided any kind of proof. The tabloids would surely have loved to hear about it.

Back
Top Bottom