Ableism

Soldato
Until someone becomes disabled, they really have no idea how hard life is.Even the simplest things are a complete ballache on occasion.
Should people just pretend the disabled don't exist?

Years ago myself and a few colleagues did a course on a new product my then company was developing, which was essentially insurance against the costs of long term nursing care. As part of the learning, each one of us had to spend half a day in a wheel chair, unaided. All a giggle at first, until you start to deal with practicalities such as trying to get through doors that automatically close, going to the toilet, washing your hands, going to a canteen and trying to look at / pick up food. It is a very sobering experience, and that was just a few hours with the comfort that it would be over soon.

Caporegime
Years ago myself and a few colleagues did a course on a new product my then company was developing, which was essentially insurance against the costs of long term nursing care. As part of the learning, each one of us had to spend half a day in a wheel chair, unaided. All a giggle at first, until you start to deal with practicalities such as trying to get through doors that automatically close, going to the toilet, washing your hands, going to a canteen and trying to look at / pick up food. It is a very sobering experience, and that was just a few hours with the comfort that it would be over soon.
So essentially you know **** all about being disabled, like most people.

That you honestly think your 1/2 day in a wheelchair makes you more able to understand the concerns of the disabled is laughable.

Typical "woke" person, tbh. All virtue signalling and noise.

Caporegime

That you honestly think your 1/2 day in a wheelchair makes you more able to understand the concerns of the disabled is laughable.

More experience than somebody who hasn't done it...

You are a very angry poster FoxEye.

Soldato

But you seem to be complaining about disabled people being 'woke' for some very strange reason.

Soldato

I don’t know much about being disabled. But the experience made me far more aware of some of the challenges that a person confined to a wheelchair would face, yes.

I don’t know why you’re so angry and resentful of people being more aware of things like this.

Soldato
It's almost as bad as turning on the radio this morning to a radio 1 presenter making an announcement that they were the first non binary presenter and what their pronouns where.

Mate I couldn't care less what you identify as, if me mistaking someone called Jacob as a he offends you, then your very existance offends me.

Man of Honour
Or maybe we just understand these things better, like when we used to stick the 'crazys' in mental asylums instead of helping them. Why do you really have such a problem with advocacy for rights for disabled people etc? [..]

I'm not the person you were replying to, but this is a public forum so I'll chip in.

To hell with your "Vote Prop 10 or you hate children!" approach to politics. It's effective, but it's ethically bankrupt. Lack of obedience is not hatred.

I have a problem with the idea that rights should only be for the "right" people. I have this radical idea that rights should be for people. Not white rights or whatever. Just rights. Which nowadays makes me an Evil Hater, of course.

Caporegime
It's almost as bad as turning on the radio this morning to a radio 1 presenter making an announcement that they were the first non binary presenter and what their pronouns where.

Mate I couldn't care less what you identify as, if me mistaking someone called Jacob as a he offends you, then your very existance offends me.

Wait what? Did this legit happen? Christ almighty that's a whole new level of tragic :D

I stopped Radio 1 when they put that new-ish fella on a few years ago. Can't remember his name but he's also one of these in-trend twitter types.

Nick Grimshaw, that's the one. Just can't do it.

Man of Honour

The whole point of weaponised offence is establishing, maintaining and strengthening a hierarchy based on group identity and the irrational prejudice and discrimination that is the purpose and inevitable result of group identity. They're establishing that they are superior to you, which is why them being "offended" by you is of paramount importance and you must be harshly punished while you being offended by them is of no importance unless they can use it as a tool to maintain or increase their superior status. "Offence" is entirely about power and irrational prejudices. It's not a completely new concept, of course. For example, in a feudal society a noble being offended by a serf was treated very differently to a serf being offended by a noble. What's different today is how widely it's used as part of politics and how unstable it is as belief in biological group identity is taken to ever higher levels of fervent faith and advocates of different group identities compete for positions in the hierarchy of group identities.

Soldato
OP

That is absolutely mental, surely the majority will become disillusioned with that crap.

Edit: probably won’t accept it at all tbh

Caporegime
And here we go/went

99% of people are absolutely decent understanding normal folk that understand and get on with each other 24/7. Then you get the vocal morons on both sides that trigger the **** out of each other......

Everyone in the middle is sick of both sides clawing At them to be allies, when we just want to get on being decent as we are.

Soldato
Wait what? Did this legit happen? Christ almighty that's a whole new level of tragic :D

I stopped Radio 1 when they put that new-ish fella on a few years ago. Can't remember his name but he's also one of these in-trend twitter types.

Nick Grimshaw, that's the one. Just can't do it.

I've not been listening over the Christmas period as it does my head in but I think I heard this person briefly this morning and it seems to be true

Caporegime
And here we go/went

99% of people are absolutely decent understanding normal folk that understand and get on with each other 24/7. Then you get the vocal morons on both sides that trigger the **** out of each other......

Everyone in the middle is sick of both sides clawing At them to be allies, when we just want to get on being decent as we are.
I'm not sure, tbh. On an individual level, a large part of the "99%" will along with the 5% just to stay on the right side of the fashionably PC line, and not become targets themselves.

On the corporate level, all sorts of orgs will fire people these days for some un-PC incident or other. Like the volunteer RNLI staff let go for having raunchy pictures on their mugs. Or the companies firing devs for an alleged comment about "I'd fork her distro" or something equally fatuous.

People often get caught in it (PC nonsense) one way or another.

Caporegime
I'm not sure, tbh. On an individual level, a large part of the "99%" will along with the 5% just to stay on the right side of the fashionably PC line, and not become targets themselves.

On the corporate level, all sorts of orgs will fire people these days for some un-PC incident or other. Like the volunteer RNLI staff let go for having raunchy pictures on their mugs. Or the companies firing devs for an alleged comment about "I'd fork her distro" or something equally fatuous.

People often get caught in it (PC nonsense) one way or another.

I don't disagree.

But I've managed, with difficulty, to just rise through it.

I spent Xmas with my sister, her wife and their lodger who's partner has just transitioned to a man. They are all social workers and sickeningly white and middle-class smug c words.

Didn't rise to the situation once.. :p

Back
Top Bottom