*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
I don't have internet where I am, and I am not your average customer,I would want high bitrate vorbis or lossless
Then you probably shouldn't be in a thread for a music system that put convenience and simplicity above absolute sound quality. Spotify and Sonos is a great convenient combination and you won't hear the difference using lossless as the audio gear isn't up to it it certainly isn't intended for audiophiles so you may find your time better spent in other threads where your advice makes more sense.

Love My sonos kit will definitely be adding the beam soon to beef up my TV sound.

Associate
So I've been on a bit of a mission recently to open my house up to be more platform agnostic. Just at the point where I don't want to be tied down to one particular ecosystem and if one person in the house ever decides to move to another, nothing is lost in terms of tech.

I had bought a Sonos One before but at the time felt it wasn't being used to it's fullest due to it being in a small living room, plus I was all in on the Apple side of things and had my heart set on a Homepod.

Fast forward a few years and now in a bigger home and having looked at the all options, Sonos is back in play.

So I've put an order in for a One and should be arriving later.

Soldato
The major disadvantage of using the Spotify app, is that you can't play different songs in different rooms from 1 account (you can when you use the Sonos app).

You should try using the Spotify app in your car when your cafe also uses the spotify app

Gangster rap in the car............94 year old women in the cafe...pfftt ooops

Associate
Does anyone know of any desk stands where you can wrap the cables in the base so that it comes out of the front as opposed to the back?

I've got a console unit behind my sofa and where I could potentially put the Ones if I was to go for Surround sound, but it doesn't rest on a wall so would look naff having the cables trailing behind then down....

Associate
Morning,

Another couple of questions from me!

For those using their One's with Google Assistant and Spotify - Just wondering how people manage to get around the fact that it doesn't support multiple voice assistants (as in I have one account with my calendar, my wife has her account with hers)?

Also, for those with families - do you just set up a "family" spotify account and then have that as the default account in the Sonos app? Obviously my wife and I will have differing playlists, plus our daughter will have her choices as well (Frozen 1 & 2 I'm looking at you), but as it stands my Spotify account is set up as the base account.

Soldato
Morning,

Another couple of questions from me!

For those using their One's with Google Assistant and Spotify - Just wondering how people manage to get around the fact that it doesn't support multiple voice assistants (as in I have one account with my calendar, my wife has her account with hers)?

Also, for those with families - do you just set up a "family" spotify account and then have that as the default account in the Sonos app? Obviously my wife and I will have differing playlists, plus our daughter will have her choices as well (Frozen 1 & 2 I'm looking at you), but as it stands my Spotify account is set up as the base account.

We just use one Spotify account (you can play different songs in different rooms at the same time from one account).

Associate
So I’m the new owner of a black Sonos Beam.

Nipped down to Richer Sounds yesterday morning and grabbed one. Was pretty busy as well. Got a price match and got a bit off which always helps.

Setup was ridiculously easy as usual.

First port of call was to load up the Portals section from Endgame and wow would be an understatement.

I have encountered an issue though-had Moana playing this morning for the kid and there was a certain section at the beginning where there was meant to be dialogue but it went silent, then kicked back in again. I’m thinking that this was because I set the Audio on the Apple TV 4K to 5.1, but because I don't have the rears (yet) for surrounds that this would be the reason for the audio going missing? I tried it in the Movies app and then in the Movies Anywhere app and it happened in the exact same place.

Changing it to Stereo or leaving it as default and the audio returns to that section.

Should I just leave it in Stereo for the time being until I get the rest?

Apart from that, it’s been awesome. Had family round yesterday and grouped the Beam to the One (Gen 2) in the kitchen and was great to have everything linked. Full fledged convert and now will look to kit the rest of the house out.

Associate
Had family round yesterday and grouped the Beam to the One (Gen 2) in the kitchen and was great to have everything linked. Full fledged convert and now will look to kit the rest of the house out.

For music or for TV? I've found that TV through HDMI ARC is out of sync with the rest of the speakers in a group if I do that.

Soldato
Tempted to get into this, purely for the functionality. Audio Pro sounds much better IMO but the app is rubbish and the stereo functionality is unbalanced.

Question: Does Sonos have any balance issues in stereo?

Soldato
Nothing I have noticed, I have two Play One's in stereo and I also have a Connect that feeds my hifi amp.

*thumbs up*

Another question; are there any issues in using grouped Airplay speakers to play an app in stereo (BBC sounds app for example) and then switch to using a Sonos grouping for Spotify? In other words, is it a case of configuring groups in Apple Home for Airplay2 OR configuring for Sonos, not both?

Associate
Few questions from someone who knows nothing about Sonos and is looking at an Ikea SYMFONISK for the kitchen:

1. I have all my music on a Synology NAS and I use Minim UPNP. I gather this wouldn't work, so I would need to share (SMB/CIFS) the music to allow the sonos app to play it? How would it handles hi-res music? Would it downsample it to 16/44 and play it or would it just be unable to deal with it at all?

2. Can I get BBC radio stations on it through the sonos app (I have a house full of Android Devices)

Thanks

Dave

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Had some Amazon vouchers so picked up a Beam at not much cost to me on top.

My second attempt at using Sonos for home cinema stuff, tried a play bar out a while ago but sent it back.

I have an Onkyo HTX-22HD that I bought years ago, little 2.1 system and am struggling to find anything worthy to replace it.

First impressions of the beam are it’s not too bad, need to get some hours in watching stuff this weekend to see how it goes and try and do a proper comparison.

Part of the issue is the wife doesn’t really care about the sound, and doesn’t like things too loud. So I only have stuff running through the Onkyo when I’m watching a film or something on my own.

With the Sonos it’s going to be more practical to have it on all the time, so will see how she goes with that!

Obviously the other benefit of the Beam is it’s another Sonos device, already have a Gen 1 play 5 in the living room though.

Back
Top Bottom