Evidence of BBC bias?

Soldato
The problem is that the type of person to go to University, become a journalist and work at the BBC is going to be inherently left wing, there are no young Conservatives in the UK

Caporegime
Of course the BBC is biased. Half the BBC political unit went to the same private schools as half the Tory ministers and then the same universities. They're very pally overall and generally dig into the Labour Party. Then you have BBC Question time with Pro-Brexit guests by the dozen, Farage who's a closet Tory anyway and very few from other parties. Then the 'editorial mistakes' in the run up to the election showing Boris in a good light and Corbyn in a bad one. I can only assume that the OP hasn't watched much BBC political output in recent months.

Soldato
Of course the BBC is biased. Half the BBC political unit went to the same private schools as half the Tory ministers and then the same universities. They're very pally overall and generally dig into the Labour Party. Then you have BBC Question time with Pro-Brexit guests by the dozen, Farage who's a closet Tory anyway and very few from other parties. Then the 'editorial mistakes' in the run up to the election showing Boris in a good light and Corbyn in a bad one. I can only assume that the OP hasn't watched much BBC political output in recent months.

Doubt the OP has listened to BBC Radio 4, 5 etc over the years as I have done.
BBC is the most bias media in UK on top of the whole bias of the UK media.

7 countries in Med were never were so close to war since WW2, yet total silence in UK. (Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Israel, Egypt, Italy, France and half Libya).

Man of Honour
The problem is that the type of person to go to University, become a journalist and work at the BBC is going to be inherently left wing, there are no young Conservatives in the UK

I wish this was true but it really isn't, even in London there's plenty of young conservatives about. They're just very quiet about it.

Soldato
The BBC picks and chooses what to tell us. If you watch some of the foreign broadcasters you see the gaps. E.g. They will crop video footage so you don't see the full story. By cutting those few seconds it sometimes puts a totally different spin on the story.

Last edited:
Soldato
I see a lot of people claim that the BBC is biased (mostly to the left).
That just means that most of your friends (at least on social media) are right leaning.

When you see people say that the BBC is biased what they actually mean is that the BBC doesn't reflect their bias. They don't understand that the fact everyone on all sides moan that it's biased against them is actually proof that it's one of the most unbiased/balanced news/info sources around.

Man of Honour
I suggest that the BBC is primary ‘progressive’ (re: equality / awareness issues) and otherwise in favour of the government-of-the-day.

Because it’s progressive it tends to report on progressive issues. People then wrongly extrapolate this to mean it’s ‘left wing biased’. It’s reporting tends to be fact based and is mostly free of opinion.

I don’t find the BBC to be biased but it’s overemphasis on progressive issues is at times a little tiring.

Don
Try listening to Nihal Arthanayake an Radio 5, his left wing / anti brexit bias is ridiculous, if the BBC were as neutral as they claim then they would have done something about it ages ago

Man of Honour
The fact that we can't agree what the BBC's bias is, would suggest that any bias it has is fairly trivial. I mean, hands up anyone who doesn't agree that the Telegraph (say) is Right-biased and pro-Brexit? And yes, the remit of the TV news means that any bias should be minimal, compared to newspapers.Most people complaining about political bias at the BBC generally mean: "how dare they question my bias". If the BBC have a bias, then it's the tendency to be managerialist, and generally conservative with a small c. Left or Right, not so much.

And yes, the party in power gets a slightly easier ride because (surprise) they control the BBC purse strings. The miracle is not that the government of the day gets away with a bit, but that doesn't get away with a lot more.

Soldato
It is not so much that the BBC is biased one way or another but individuals such as producers and directors most certainly are.
In Scotland the Reporting Scotland program definitely leans towards SNP support whereas in England this is not the case. Some presenters are most definitely lean to the left or right and there does not seem to be any body within the BBC that monitors the biased when it rears its ugly head.

Back
Top Bottom