What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Quite like the Tag Heuer Formulae 1 quartz, the blue and orange one. Thoughts on these? Always thought when I'd buy myself a nice watch I'd end up going for one vastly more expensive and traditional, black/grey/silver.
One thing I'd want to do is change the canvas strap. Where is the place to buy replacement ones from?

I can't speak specifically of the F1, however I do have one of the earlier (1990 ish) SS Tag 2000s. It's a solid watch and has lasted very well; 3 battery and seal changes in almost three decades. If it wasn't for the fact that it's so reliable, I'd probably never wear it because I'm not a fan of quartz movements. Smart looking watches though. Nice choice of colour as well.

Man of Honour
20191230_163412-01.jpeg
20191230_160549-01.jpeg

20191230_161332_1.jpg
20191230_160722-01.jpeg

It has arrived. Now I've had 39-42mm watches all these years and this is 40mm yet you look at it in the flesh you would swear it was 38-39mm and it wears like one too. The stock strap is very think. ISOFRANE thick which I'm not a fan of but it is silicone and very soft. I will be wearing it with a zuludiver vintage bond and zuludiver FKM strap though mostly. The lume matches Marloe's marketing, it's bright, and even just walking outside at 3PM it lights up bright when you walk indoors. Reminds me of the Longines I sent away to be re-lumed by Motorcity Watchworks.

The bezel ratchet is OK, it's nowhere near as engineered as say the Pelagos was, but it matches its price point I'd say as it's on par with other watches I've had in the £400-£600 range.

Love the detailing along the case, bezel and the dial sharpness. And being able to see the blue hour hand lume if it's aligned under the minute hand green lume is quite cool.

Overall,

Soldato
6 months in and I'm still infatuated with my submariner, so much so I'm thinking about adding a GMT to keep it company. Everything about it just seems right: the look, fit and finish, the clasp and how comfortable it is to wear... perceived brand connotations don't even register. I think if more people got the opportunity, they'd see why these are good watches.

I don't really wear mine to work, but on the odd occasion I do, it hides under my shirt cuff and no-one is the wiser. Perfect.

Man of Honour
Whilst many are, many also are not. There are way more micro brand models out there than the big players. As a sheer exercise in numbers, of course there will be many that are naff. This is how numbers work after all.

Many of us here have had various micro brand watches from all over and they've all largely been good to excellent with only a few exceptions of mediocrity.

Personally I don't care as long as it's good quality and the movement is robust. I've had Swiss, I've had Japanese and I've had German. My loyalty doesn't side with anyone in particular. I go where my taste takes me.

Having said that, the Morar on day 3 now is +1s a day. I have not yet had a watch with that level of accuracy out of the box. The Pelagos needed 2 months to get to +1s to +2s a day depending on conditions. My HydroConquest also used the 2824-2 and was only +1s a day after it came back from the US watchmaker to be re-lumed so he must have regulated it. The NOMOS was +2s a day. None of these watches were COSC yet were beyond COSC spec for years. This is why I don't put much worry or thought into what movement a watch I like the design of has. If it's tried and tested, that's good enough for me.

Associate
Missus wanted to get me a watch for christmas and asked me to buy it , she wasnt too impressed when i said i wanted the Tudor BB58 so got the Orient Neptune (renamed Triton).
Great watch love the little power indicator.

It only really blue in bright light , in a normally lit room its nearer black.

3mt3WrN.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Some beautiful watches on display! Didn't think this forum of all places would have so many people with such nice time pieces!
Im not quite rich enough to afford some of the nicer watches that have been posted previously, but my general day to day use watch is... An apple watch series 2 :D

Almost feels blasphemous saying that but yeah. I do have a leather Armani watch which I wear on nights out usually, but my finest piece is a Tissot one I got a few years ago. Tend to save that for more finer occasions though, like a wedding.

Soldato
Anyone got any good recommendations on where to sell a watch? Looking to flip a Seiko Presage SRPC97J1 Limited Edition (brand new, unworn) but wouldn't know where to start.

Also, my latest acquisition, Heimdallr 6105 homage:

NH35 movement
Sapphire
Screw down crown
~£100 + VAT on import

Really pleased with it! Blatant rip off of the 6105 as seen in Apocalypse Now (aside from the pepsi bezel, which I specced), but it doesn't pretend to be a Seiko as such, so pretty happy with it.

[Potato IMG]
bpg48ITl.jpg

Associate
All in the link. The name is after Loch Morar in the Highlands, depth rating is the same as the loch is deep and the dial texture resembles a sandy sea bed with the markers resembling sea shells.

The sea monster on the back resembles the mythical creature of the area too.

Thanks for posting about these. Just had a look and I'm definitely going to pick up one of the Coniston models later in the month.

Man of Honour
Nice^^

Tudor's straps are second to none really. A true thing of comfort whatever the material.

Thanks for posting about these. Just had a look and I'm definitely going to pick up one of the Coniston models later in the month.

That was first on my radar before I saw the Morar in an instagram post. Really nice modern dial.

Lume shot :cool:

X3yAoXV.gif

Soldato
My other half wants to get me a dress watch for my birthday. I like the look of the Seiko Presage (Cocktail Time) and also the Tissot Le Locle Powermatic. I like both with the black leather straps.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these? They both seem to be well regarded and can be picked up for fairly similar prices :) pics below..

MwwfvLU.jpg
XD11AAJ.jpg

Soldato
My other half wants to get me a dress watch for my birthday. I like the look of the Seiko Presage (Cocktail Time) and also the Tissot Le Locle Powermatic. I like both with the black leather straps.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these? They both seem to be well regarded and can be picked up for fairly similar prices :) pics below..

I've had the Seiko Presage Cocktail Time SRPB43J1 a couple of years now. It's a lovely watch and priced very reasonably (picked mine up for about £230ish I think on sale at John Lewis). It's based on the JDM Cocktail time but has a lesser quality movement than the original but also a lot cheaper to buy/import As a dress watch it generally works well with most outfits and I tend to favour it as a daily wear when at work. The face is lovely when it catches the light right you get that beautiful blue white colour. Very easy to see the hands and has a uncluttered look. You've really got to see it in person in good light as photos don't do it justice. The detailing is of good quality but again not as good as the JDM Cocktail Time but for price I've been very happy with it. The strap is its weakest point. The general quality of it is poor and it feels cheap. I've stuck with the original strap for the time being as just haven't got round to sorting out a replacement. For a daily its extremely comfortable and light, you barely notice it in a good way. Again not too shouty or obscene for a daily and if it was to get damaged not the end of the world. It generally tolaerates knocks and wear pretty well. The other watch I considered was the TISSOT HERITAGE VISODATE AUTOMATIC but its about twice the price I got the Seiko for. Felt that the cocktail time simply looked better and price wise was a no brainer. Just my 2c.

Man of Honour
The Seiko looks more modern but the classic style of the Tissot is more elegant. Depends on what you're going for. I guess.^^^

I found a couple of straps that are the best of both worlds for adjustment, quality and comfort. The RSM Herringbone straps and the Crown & Buckle Chevron.

https://www.rsmwatchstrap.com/product/tobacco-brown/
https://www.crownandbuckle.com/chevron-adjustable-obsidian.html

Sadly the Herringbone doesn't come with the black hardware option whereas the C&B does, and the Obsidion does look nice and very high quality although I prefer the Herringbone weave. Prices are similar though so I've opted for the C&B with black hardware as that will suit the watch better. I don't want to swap around straps any more and just have one really nice strap for all conditions.

Soldato

If i was going to buy a Seiko now it'd be this, i'm a huge fan, and at £300 (half price) it just makes more sense to me than the cocktail time.

https://amjwatches.co.uk/seiko-premier-snp139p1.html

Caporegime

Of these two I would rather have the Seiko... the Tissot face is way too overworked with the archaic font and numerals and is basically a generic clone of many other Swatch group Powermatic 80 watches that are rolled out (Rado etc).

The Seiko is unique and beautiful in comparison. :)

Back
Top Bottom