Where to stay in Kiev?

Soldato
Booked flights with a few friends for Kiev in February, and now just looking at Airbnb’s and wondering if there’s anywhere people in the know would recommend to stay, or where to avoid?

Also any recommendations of what to do would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The big hotel overlooking the square, cheap and stepback into the 80s :) Decent simple breakfast as well.

The old people are miserable the young folk are fine :)

Soldato
That’s why we’re going, been on the agenda ever since S.T.A.L.K.E.R came out all those years ago :D

In feb? I looked at going at Christmas a few years ago and everyone said it would be pointless as the snow and cold would make it a non starter. That was around 10 years ago so maybe infrastructure is better but have you researched it?

Soldato
Booked flights with a few friends for Kiev in February, and now just looking at Airbnb’s and wondering if there’s anywhere people in the know would recommend to stay, or where to avoid?

Cheers!

I'm going at the end of Feb with a group. Staying in Sky Hostel.

nam

nam

Soldato
stay at a hotel for safety , plenty of cheap hotel options on booking.com such as ibis. If it is your first time visiting you want to be closer to the centre and main area around maidan or Arena city. February is extremely cold so be prepared for lots of snow and -15 is usual. What are you looking to do ?

Cheers!

Soldato
Hotel Ukraine is in Maidan Square. Nice place in a good location. Some of it has been renovated although probably all done by now. If you go for the executive suites, two can share a living room whilst having their own bed and bathroom.

Hotel Rus is a bit of a walk from Maidan but not a problem. Rooms are comfortable.

We've also used AirBnB and only had one issue - last year. Place we booked had issues and our group rejected the alternative. By the time I'd booked us all into Rus, the money had been repaid and AirBnB called to make sure we were all OK and had a place to stay. Level of care by AirBnB was very impressive.

Last month we stayed in a flat overlooking Maidan. Above the 24Hr Sushi bar. No problems and comfortable.

Love Kiev. Ukrainians aren't grumpy. Generations living in fear has created a culture where if I don't know, I'm not going to smile at you. They are actually quite warm and generous once they get to know you.

I go 2/3 times a year to Kiev/Exclusion Zone. Happy to help with any questions.

Soldato
OP
Hotel Ukraine is in Maidan Square. Nice place in a good location. Some of it has been renovated although probably all done by now. If you go for the executive suites, two can share a living room whilst having their own bed and bathroom.

Hotel Rus is a bit of a walk from Maidan but not a problem. Rooms are comfortable.

We've also used AirBnB and only had one issue - last year. Place we booked had issues and our group rejected the alternative. By the time I'd booked us all into Rus, the money had been repaid and AirBnB called to make sure we were all OK and had a place to stay. Level of care by AirBnB was very impressive.

Last month we stayed in a flat overlooking Maidan. Above the 24Hr Sushi bar. No problems and comfortable.

Love Kiev. Ukrainians aren't grumpy. Generations living in fear has created a culture where if I don't know, I'm not going to smile at you. They are actually quite warm and generous once they get to know you.

I go 2/3 times a year to Kiev/Exclusion Zone. Happy to help with any questions.

Thanks for the advice, I think we're wanting to go with an AirBnB over hotel as we like to have the ability to have somewhere to relax, found some really nice options. @nam any reason you say stay at a hotel for safety?

The front runner is located around Taras Shevchenko Park, just down from Maidan Square, would this suffice?

The grumpy thing sounds like most of the South of the UK, shouldn't be an issue :p

Can you recommend an operator to go on a one day tour to Chernobyl/Exclusion zone?

We're also out there for my birthday and wouldn't mind going on a night out, would you say it's safe at night? Or at least as safe as any other major capital in Europe?

Cheers :)

I'm going at the end of Feb with a group. Staying in Sky Hostel.

Ah we're going a bit earlier in the month, could have been good to meet for a beer :)

I saw a film about a group of people who went to Chernobyl, they never came back :(

Have also seen this, would certainly spice things up a bit :p

Soldato
Thanks for the advice

Think the hotel/apartment thing is just so you don't get ripped off.

If you can, try to get somewhere closer to Maidan - Shouldn't be too hard to get a flat other side of the square to Hotel Ukraine.

Taras Shevchenko Park is about 5/10 mins depending on walking speed. Not a big issue really. Probably about as far away as Hotel Rus is to the square.

If you walk towards the square from Taras, on the other side of the road is Katyusha restuarant (about the Roshen shop) food is great there.

To be honest, I've never had a bad meal in Kiev. Mama Manana is considered one of the best. Very nice in there.

Kiev is just as safe as any other european city. I've walked home absolutely hammered before now with no problems - police even helped me get into the apartment. :D

There are lots of clubs but we really only go to Ugly Coyote. Visiting a gentlemans club appears to be a national passtime. Scarletti opposite Hotel Rus is our favourite.

There is Uber in Kiev but locals use and prefer Uklon. Metro is cool to use and very cheap. Arsenelna is the deepest metro station in the world. From there you can walk down, visit the Holodomor museum, have a look round the monk village (it's a little bit like the vatican only much smaller!) and carry on to the Mother Monument. Walk back and opposite the Holodomor museum is a great bar for food and a drink. If you sit outside and it's not too cold, they provide blankets to keep warm. That's a day taken care of no problem.

I've not done a day tour to the zone. The group I go with isn't as well known as the others but I believe we get to do a lot more.

I'm running a trip of my own end of May. There is a really nice RC buggy track in Kiev and we are holding a race weekend - East Vs West Europe. This trip will include a day tour.

Soldato
Thanks @EddScott!

Will definitely be checking out Arsenelna station and just been reading up on Holodomor, absolutely horrific :(

Gentlemans clubs aren't really our vibe, I think we'd prefer to be in a bar speaking to some local Ukranians and wasting our money buying them drinks instead :p

Yeah, it's a bit of a sobering topic when you visit. The Aviation museum is pretty good. Chernobyl museum is OK. I believe there is a Museum of Useless Things - folk bring unwanted stuff, put it on the shelf, and other folk pay to view the stuff the other folk left - apparently this really is a thing. Gates of Kiev are on an adjacent street to where you are if you stay in Taras. Children's park is cool for a walk around. Souviner street up past St Michaels is cool - make sure you haggle! There is a great sandwich bar half way down on the left. The furnicular is round there too which is cool but doesn't really take you anywhere too interesting. You used to be able to take a zip wire across the Dnipro which was cool but did wobble a bit :eek:

OK, so a great bar is Palata No6 (or Hospital Bar). Not well known as such but most cabbies will know were it is. Lots of young local Ukrainians and the odd tourist. Google Palata No6 and have a look at a couple of vids.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, it's a bit of a sobering topic when you visit. The Aviation museum is pretty good. Chernobyl museum is OK. I believe there is a Museum of Useless Things - folk bring unwanted stuff, put it on the shelf, and other folk pay to view the stuff the other folk left - apparently this really is a thing. Gates of Kiev are on an adjacent street to where you are if you stay in Taras. Children's park is cool for a walk around. Souviner street up past St Michaels is cool - make sure you haggle! There is a great sandwich bar half way down on the left. The furnicular is round there too which is cool but doesn't really take you anywhere too interesting. You used to be able to take a zip wire across the Dnipro which was cool but did wobble a bit :eek:

OK, so a great bar is Palata No6 (or Hospital Bar). Not well known as such but most cabbies will know were it is. Lots of young local Ukrainians and the odd tourist. Google Palata No6 and have a look at a couple of vids.

Just seen a video of the Helmet Shot in Palata No6 :p

Keep the bar or club recommendations coming if you've got a spare moment, always like to have some trusted reviews of places so you don't end up wandering around in -20 degrees temps looking for somewhere cool to go :D

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Single sided US dollars are your friend, did make me laugh when my friend stumbled in from a club showing us all how me managed to $500 for free, when blind drunk :)

Caporegime
A restaurant called SHO which is meant to be quite nice, if you're lucky you might witness some political criminal activity from the US administration.

Back
Top Bottom